British masters announced

Wildrover

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Poor decision IMHO, nothing against Walton Heath as a course but 3rd time in 4 years it's been in the South East when they already have the PGA every year. Should be in Midlands or North West.

D

Deleted member 15344

Poor decision IMHO, nothing against Walton Heath as a course but 3rd time in 4 years it's been in the South East when they already have the PGA every year. Should be in Midlands or North West.
Wasn’t the Open in the North West this year ?

Woburn isn’t far from the midlands

Midlands in the past had the Ryder Cup a number of times whilst the North West has had a number of Opens

Also it’s up to the hosts as they will be spending a lot of their time there

If anywhere maybe the South West should host it

Lwatson-jones

Assistant Pro
Visit site
just had a look at the ticket prices..
Adult weekend is 48?? AND under 16s are free!
Is that right??
That seems quite cheap!
found a local travelodge family room for 29 quid for the night too!!

I am quite tempted, not attended a 'live' event before.

really wanted to do the Ryder cup, but the cost of the tickets was ridiculous!

Pathetic Shark

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Got to work early to get my tickets to find out our internet is down! Glad I had my iPad with me and 2 Thursday tickets are secured!

might try and get a round in there over Xmas while I’m between jobs

I was going to sneak on Xmas Day if you want to join me.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
just had a look at the ticket prices..
Adult weekend is 48?? AND under 16s are free!
Is that right??
That seems quite cheap!
found a local travelodge family room for 29 quid for the night too!!

I am quite tempted, not attended a 'live' event before.

really wanted to do the Ryder cup, but the cost of the tickets was ridiculous!

Well worth going to an event, especially watching the pros on the range. I often go to the practice days as there are fewer crowds, easier to get close to the action and follow groups around.

Wildrover

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Wasn’t the Open in the North West this year ?

Woburn isn’t far from the midlands

Midlands in the past had the Ryder Cup a number of times whilst the North West has had a number of Opens

Also it’s up to the hosts as they will be spending a lot of their time there

If anywhere maybe the South West should host it

Yes the open was in NW this year, but my point is the SE has the PGA every year.

SW would be great, been a long time since any top class golf was down that way. Anywhere but the SE bubble. Close House had higher attendance than Woburn or The Grove, if you want to grow the game (which Sky and the tour say they do) you have to give everyone a chance to watch the top players.

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site

People will moan about anything won’t they!!
It’s not much more than 2hrs from midlands to London. Hardly a lot of effort is it.

Also remember the golfers hosting it are all from the south with the exception of Westwood!

As Phil says, the open is in the north west often and the south only gets one open every 10 or so years (and that’s a nightmare to get to)

Lwatson-jones

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Thanks Homer

I think (if tickets still available) after the Xmas excess that always comes when you have pre teen Juniors... Might just indulge

can anyone tell me what the etiquette on photography is at events? (personal photos, non commercial)

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site

This👍 What made me chuckle is that Lee Westwood is from the Midlands. Where does he host his Masters. The North east. Now nothing at all about it being played up there at all. But even the locals oop north agree Close House is " Marmite ". Nowt to do with a retainer is it. The game is struggling and this is a perfect opportunity to take the game around the UK, inc Northern Ireland, Scotland and Wales. Not just London and oop North.

Tashyboy

Visit site
People will moan about anything won’t they!!
It’s not much more than 2hrs from midlands to London. Hardly a lot of effort is it.

Also remember the golfers hosting it are all from the south with the exception of Westwood!

As Phil says, the open is in the north west often and the south only gets one open every 10 or so years (and that’s a nightmare to get to)

I take it you have not been to any of the events. It took me an hour to get in and an hour to get out of both Woburn and the grove.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
This👍 What made me chuckle is that Lee Westwood is from the Midlands. Where does he host his Masters. The North east. Now nothing at all about it being played up there at all. But even the locals oop north agree Close House is " Marmite ". Nowt to do with a retainer is it. The game is struggling and this is a perfect opportunity to take the game around the UK, inc Northern Ireland, Scotland and Wales. Not just London and oop North.

So where would you have it to grow the game. I think the point made is valid and that with the BMW at Wentworth and this being the only other full strokeplay event (not counting the Super 6's) in England (I think) having it down in the South East does limit its appeal to the majority of golf fans.

D

Deleted member 15344

The Open is going to N Ireland , the Ryder Cup in recent years has been played in Ireland ,Scotland and Wales , Scotland has the Open more times than anyone else plus every year the Scottish Open and Dunhill Links - Ireland also has the Irish Open - The Open is played more often in the NW of England as opposed to once in a decade for the SE.

It’s prob quicker for people in the North to get to see top class golf every year than anyone in the South

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Rose is the last of the original four who were named as hosts. Perhaps the next group will have some geographic consideration given to them. The players have to be elite for it to work but a little manipulation wouldn't be a bad thing.

Tashyboy

Visit site
Rose is the last of the original four who were named as hosts. Perhaps the next group will have some geographic consideration given to them. The players have to be elite for it to work but a little manipulation wouldn't be a bad thing.
👍 Yup

D

Deleted member 15344

Where do people think the event should go - remembering what is needed to host tour events plus areas that already host events

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
Where do people think the event should go - remembering what is needed to host tour events plus areas that already host events

That’s the thing. So much more has to be taken into consideration than just the golf course. London offers the whole country a better opportunity to get to the event that anywhere else.