Bricking it - (Comps)

Basher

Tour Winner
yorkshiregolf.proboards.com
I took up the game just over a year ago.
Battered the balls at the driving range throughout the winter. Come springtime I did a few rounds with friends and work colleagues. July I joined my club and spent a goodly while playing after work and weekends. I put in the 3 cards and got myself a handicap (25). Carried on playing socially up to now.
This next season I have been thinking of entering some competitions but have to admit I'm bricking myself thinking about it. I've never played golf with a stranger, I'm not a shy person but the thing that worries me is my standard of play.
As I said I play off 25 but have to say since getting my handicap I've very rarely played to it.

Is it a case of getting the first competition over then going on from there. I'd probably feel better playing with golfers of a similar standard to me but obviously I may well playing with low h/cappers or even scratch players.

Please calm me down! :p

Gasp

Head Pro
Visit site
You go for it Basher and don't worry about a thing. Compotition golf is the best way to improve and eventually improve your handicap.

As for playing with a stranger, we are, all of us golfers. We face the same problems, and we all love the game. So really not such a stranger after all.

Tommo21

Tour Winner
www.royalmusselburgh.co.uk
Just let whoever you are playing with that you’re new and keen to learn. I sometimes get a newstart on the course and it can be hard going, but we all have to start somewhere. I usually tell them I’m just as nervous and I usually try to encourage them. Don’t worry about how you will look to a good golfer and if it bothers them then let it bother them, after all you pay you’re money just the same.

Play as many competitions as you can and eventually you’ll think nothing of it. After all what’s the worst thing that can happen. Play rubbish and go home more determined. That’s what I do, it makes me more determined.

So, get out there in plenty time, take a deep breath on the first tee, fire away and don’t give up even if you’re playing bad. Remember you almost have a stroke and a half each hole, so the odd par will give you leeway for the odd bad hole. Enjoy and don’t expect too much of yourself.

MVP

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Basher. Most golfers never break ninety, so chances are you'll be paired up with someone of a similar handicap and style of play. you'll end up joking around and commending each other when necessary. Competitions are just another round of golf. play ur usual round and look at the scores later.!!

madandra

Money List Winner
Visit site
Basher, when I was off 23 I used to break the round into 6 three hole courses and try and do it to a max of 3 over par per three holes. Then if you screw up a couple of holes you can start afresh soon after.

billyg

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Haven't played in a comp. B but i have played with strangers. It was a condition of joining that we played a round with one of the clubs directors- braaaaaap

The missus and I were brickin' ourselves and it was all a bit tense until I did something that I don't think i'll repeat if I played golf from now until I was 100...... I sort of half-skulled an 80ish yard pitch which promptly hit the pin and dropped like a stone in the hole- thangya very mush- gross par ,net eagle. Next.

In the split second I had at my disposal before the director reacted I had to try and stifle a whoop of pleasure followed by a footballers type pigeon-stepping celebration and not falling over with laughter all in one.

The guy didn't bat an eyelid.

We still laugh about it.

If we could survive that, you can survive anything.

IMHO I think you'll be pleasantly surprised how much you enjoy it and as said above , for the time you're playing it makes you realise how basically the same we all are.

As for the comp. just do your best and don't worry. Your unlikely to get in too deep at your first attempt and to do so would only ruffle the feathers of the sort of people ardently determined to have their feathers ruffled at the first provocation.

Would like to hear how you get on mate,

bill

smange

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
One thing to remember is 'we have all been there'. You will find that 99.99% of golfers will be completely understanding and sympathetic with your feelings, after all we all had to play our first competition or our first match with strangers sometime.
Ignore anyone who isnt understanding and play your own game, dont change anything about your play to keep someone else happy.

Go out and enjoy it, competition will improve you.

johng

Head Pro
southerndowngolfclub.co.uk
Hi Basher.

Nerves are extremely normalm and natural, especially ig this game. I used to be really nervous in any comp's but the more you play the less nervous you'll feel. you'll get a chance to meet some new members and develop new playing partners easily.
Worst start I had, in a club knock out comp' was taking 16, yes 16, on the 1st. Conceded the match on the 11th and we were playing stroke play!!!!!
Week later I'm playing with friends and I start birdie, birdie, par. Crazy game.

Just get out there, concentrate on your own game and smooth tempo, and don't try and out drive the people you play with, and ENJOY!

Good luck mate.

John

happyhacker

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Basher just go for it. I used to worry about exactly the same thing when I moved to a new area.

But fell in with a good bunch of guys who were helpful and encouraging who now form my regular four ball.

Down_The_Middle

Head Pro
Visit site
I was the same last year.I had played a in a few stablefords as you can go out with who you like over the weekend of it.Wasnt so keen on medals because didnt think my game was consistent enough to do it. Then took the plunge and done my first medal which was also our club championship. Shot 2 rounds of 100(28 handicap at the time) Since then have played in most medal/stablefords . Won 4 times been cut to 23.8, hope to get down to 20 this season.Just go and enjoy it .You will meet some good folks out there. One thing I found what helps me is that I play my game and hit shots I know I can pull off.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Not sure how other clubs do it but at Royal Ascot all monthly stablefords and medals are drawn so you can be paired with anyone. Its great in that you meet loads of members (people you have seen and nodded to but never knew their name etc).

The great thing about it is they try and spread the standard about so you may get someone like yourself off 25, a mid handicapper (say 18-12) and then someone a bit better (14 down).

Our competitions are divided into divisions so you wouldn't be trying to beat everyone in the field. For medals I think the divisions run from scratch to 10, Division 2 is 11 to 18 and Division 3 is 19 upwards.

For stableford I think we normally have two divisions unless the field is exceptionally large i.e during the summer.

The only advice I can give is meet the guys on the tee, shake hands and explain you are new to playing and ask them to keep an eye on you (without impacting their own game) to make sure you do not infringe any rules.

If you have any questions especially about marking the cards etc make sure you ask. Above all make sure you enjoy it. I'm sure the other guys will be really accommodating

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
Basher, like you I started just on a year ago, and because I broke the ton ahead of my schedule, I played a competion with the society at work and thoroughly enjoyed it (the idea was to let them get the giggles over before the new season - but I wasn't last!) Now I've got my club handicap, I'll start playing competitions there (and at work), once we have a course again.
Not having a regular partner, I've usually played with strangers - that lasts until about the third tee by which time you're all equally insulting about the bad ones and complimentary about the good ones.
Don't worry about it, just go for it.