Breast feeding in the golf club. Would you.

D

Deleted member 16999

Seems sad that these women hold/held office in the club and are so out of touch with modern times. If there was a society or do on, I can see how a polite 2would you mind doing that in the locker room" may have been a better solution but to just come out and be as rude and crass as they were is very sad
What's the amount of people in the vicinity got to do with it, Baby's hungry, Mothers feeding it.....end of.

North Mimms

Tour Winner
Visit site
Seems sad that these women hold/held office in the club and are so out of touch with modern times. If there was a society or do on, I can see how a polite 2would you mind doing that in the locker room" may have been a better solution but to just come out and be as rude and crass as they were is very sad
I disagree Homer.
Suggesting a woman who is breastfeeding should hide herself away is contrary to current legislation

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Ridiculous.

Actually, not ridiculous Just an outdated attitude (like others - and probably they - have to LGBTs) - and the suggestion would be illegal!

However, at least one of the comments by the 'offenders' was actually quite reasonable, but was HER problem - at least according to law (since 1975 even!)!

Last edited:

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Breast feeding is of course the most natural thing. I have no problem with it being done in public although I must admit to not knowing where to look sometimes as I don't think the Woman would like you staring at them. It's quite a natural act to adjust ones crutch parts or give an itchy bottom a good scratch sometimes but it's always best to use a little discretion.

the smiling assassin

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Careful, that comment could earn you a permanent ban from the forum. Engage brain?!!!

User20205

Money List Winner
Visit site
This thread's a bit of an eye opener for me. To imply breast feeding is akin to scratching your arse, that it belongs behind closed doors or is somehow titillating is unbelievable:eek:

bluewolf

Money List Winner
Visit site
This thread's a bit of an eye opener for me. To imply breast feeding is akin to scratching your arse, that it belongs behind closed doors or is somehow titillating is unbelievable:eek:

Not really.. It's an act that is in transition from something that some preferred to be hidden away, to something that is now becoming an accepted norm in society.. Nothing changes with immediate effect, but it is changing, and that's a positive.

User20205

Money List Winner
Visit site
Not really.. It's an act that is in transition from something that some preferred to be hidden away, to something that is now becoming an accepted norm in society.. Nothing changes with immediate effect, but it is changing, and that's a positive.
Some may feel uncomfortable with it, for some unknown reason. That's up to them to deal with. I'm slightly sympathetic in an ever so patronising way, like you would be with an elderly relative.

But to find breast feeding titillating, really, surely that type of mindset died with 'carry on I'm a misogynist'

There loads of examples of outdated beliefs we shouldn't have to tolerate any more.

Hacker Khan

Yurt Dwelling, Yoghurt Knitter
Visit site

I have no doubt it is only 'banter'. So that makes it ok.

BoadieBroadus

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
entirely a generational thing - likely that if these ladies nursed children then they did it in an era when ladies did do it in private and that was the expected thing.

totally different attitude nowadays, sometimes clashes are going to arise

Sweep

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The fact that this happened in a golf club is actually irrelevant, but just adds to the titillation (absolutely no pun intended) from the point of view of the press who delight in promoting a certain image of golf clubs. I also don't think that it matters a great deal that this argument involved the Ladies Captain and the Ladies Competition Secretary. They are entitled to their opinions like the rest of us. This is simply a matter for our society and changing (or otherwise) of perceptions.
Personally I don't have a strong opinion either way on breast feeding in public. I do think though that there are some mothers who revel in doing this to wind up those who find it "uncomfortable" (I think offensive is too strong a word). I assume these mothers weren't members but were quite happy to put in a complaint that has resulted in two valuable lady members leaving, one challenging her suspension and a whole heap of trouble for the club. Meanwhile the mother in question just walks away.
Maybe a little discretion and consideration for others was needed on both sides.

KhalJimbo

Head Pro
Visit site
A subject close to home. I don't agree with the stance these women have taken being so outwardly criticizing of the mothers. Wife and I are expecting our first child next month. We both have no problem with breastfeeding in public and will be doing it ourselves too, however I do agree with doing it with a bit of modesty. Like using a feeding blanket or something similar.

While understanding that there is a right to breastfeed and it is encouraged and that we will be doing it too, we don't however agree with just sitting at a table and mid conversation getting a boob out and starting a feed in a restaurant without showing at least some discretion and modesty.

We do have a friend like that, she will literally right in front of you get her boob out then maneuver her child around to start a feed, I'm sorry, but that's not something I need to see, use a bit of discretion while in a public.

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
Breast feeding is natural... so is having a poo.... I wouldn't have a poo without using the facilities provided so I can understand how SOME might be 'put out' by watching someone feed their baby. I wouldn't say it was an offensive thing.... more 'uncomfortable'.

User20205

Money List Winner
Visit site
Breast feeding is natural... so is having a poo.... I wouldn't have a poo without using the facilities provided so I can understand how SOME might be 'put out' by watching someone feed their baby. I wouldn't say it was an offensive thing.... more 'uncomfortable'.

That's a ridiculous comparison James.

There are obvious health risks associated with pooing in the incorrect place. Are there with breast feeding?

Should a breast feeding mother be sent to a dark room somewhere?

What is it you find uncomfortable?

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
That's a ridiculous comparison James.

There are obvious health risks associated with pooing in the incorrect place. Are there with breast feeding?

Should a breast feeding mother be sent to a dark room somewhere?

What is it you find uncomfortable?

I don't find it uncomfortable at all... in fact I'd be happy to sit and STARE, hopefully the mother wouldn't mind, seeing as it's also natural for a male to look at boobies. :)

My post was trying to understand those that WOULD complain and make a lame comparison to get the point vaguely across.

It's probably natural for people to pick their noses and eat it, again not really something you want right next to you. This isn't about breast feeding (however natural it may be) rather what is/isn't deemed 'polite' in company.

Last edited:

User20205

Money List Winner
Visit site
I don't find it uncomfortable at all... in fact I'd be happy to sit and STARE, hopefully the mother wouldn't mind, seeing as it's also natural for a male to look at boobies. :)

My post was trying to understand those that WOULD complain and make a lame comparison to get the point vaguely across.

It's probably natural for people to pick their noses and eat it, again not really something you want right next to you.

The only reason for complaint is if you are either some kind of prude or have the emotional intelligence of a 12 year old boy.

In both cases the complainer needs to deal with it internally and not transfers their issues