Brand loyalty

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
Can I ask why?
Just out of interest.

Sure, happy to oblige.

TM, Titleist and Callaway brands I don’t feel suit my personality. They are the biggest and often most popular.

I like to be a little different so avoid the super big names and go to brands just under them.

I’m a big fan of Galvin Green but prefer MacWets for the rain.

Also for shoes I prefer Puma and stay away from Footjoy.

I just like being a that little bit different.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Sure, happy to oblige.

TM, Titleist and Callaway brands I don’t feel suit my personality. They are the biggest and often most popular.

I like to be a little different so avoid the super big names and go to brands just under them.

I’m a big fan of Galvin Green but prefer MacWets for the rain.

Also for shoes I prefer Puma and stay away from Footjoy.

I just like being a that little bit different.

Hardly "different" all still what I would class as mainstream brands.

If you were talking bespoke I would agree with you.

D

Deleted member 16999

Nothing’s off the table when considering Clubs, tend to prefer some clothing companies over others, but that’s down to experience with fit over the years.

Tiger man

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I will play anything, and have a mixed bag, but I think I could also play any of the main brands top to bottom and be happy, they all make great clubs now.

GG26

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Have largely played Cleveland and Nike and think that Cleveland are a very underrated brand.

Now have some Ping irons in the bag, having won them on here, and have since been fitted for a Ping 3-wood. Not a brand that I had previously looked at, but is now one I consider.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I have used most of the well known brands over the years but definitely have an OCD tendency as a set has to have Woods, hybrid, irons and wedges from the same manufacturer. For ages now I have used Ping as I really like their products and their customer service and the OCD kicked in to include and umbrella and bag

ger147

Tour Winner
Visit site
Most of my stuff is Ping but not all. Have had a few sets of their irons and I really like them, the i210's in the bag just now will take some shifting. Also have 2 x G30 hybrids that can't be shifted and have a G400 Max driver which isn't going anywhere any time soon. But I don't like Ping wedges and have 2 x Cleveland RTX-3 wedges which I really like. Recently changed from a TM putter to one of the new Scotty Cameron Phantom X8's which is going really well. And recently ditched my Ping G30 3 wood and swapped for a lofted Titleist TS2 3 wood (16.5 degrees so essentially a 4 wood).

Next season's ball of choice is currently open. Played TM Project A balls this season and really like them but will be trying out the Snell MTB Black and MTB-X balls shortly to see if they can claim a place.

Since I started playing again in 2012, I've tried loads of kit from all of the main manufacturers and I choose what works best for me. I don't need everything in my bag to be from one manufacturer.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Not sure how brand loyal I am

There’s brands I like and I’ll give certain brands ‘first pick’ when I’m shopping for golf stuff (mostly based on performance and value for money from previous buys) but if they don’t have quite what I’m looking for or their products/pricing just don’t appeal then there’s hee-haw loyalty and I’ll buy something else

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
How brand loyal are you?
When I started playing a few years ago the FIL sent me to Ping Gainsborough and I got fitted for some Ping G which I still have, plus Ping everything apart from putter.
I need a new set to keep in Ireland and haven’t really considered anything but Ping as I have become comfortable with them.
Then earlier this week I played with a hired set of AP1 at Druids Glen and after getting used to the different sound I actually hit the ball really well. The TS2 driver I had a great time with, pretty much all on the fairway.
My golfs not great at HCP 17 so I was never too fussed with equipment as the flaws in my swing will make more difference than clubs but should I branch out and try everything else before ponying up?

I wouldn't say I am particularly loyal to a brand. I think all the main brands will make good / suitable clubs if the specs are right.

There's brands I don't like due to their marketing / pricing strategies. Namely TM and Callaway.
Also never had any Titleist stuff (except the balls) but I do like the brand and especially love the look of the classic black / white / red bag. Albeit pricing is up there.

I have previously had a lot of Cleveland stuff but now gravitating towards Ping and Mizuno.

Also got a Driver from this company Old Tom, which is very impressive and they now have a line of Woods and Wedges and a putter. Genuinely great quality, stylish and very reasonably priced.

Last edited:

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Most of my stuff is Ping but not all. Have had a few sets of their irons and I really like them, the i210's in the bag just now will take some shifting. Also have 2 x G30 hybrids that can't be shifted and have a G400 Max driver which isn't going anywhere any time soon. But I don't like Ping wedges and have 2 x Cleveland RTX-3 wedges which I really like. Recently changed from a TM putter to one of the new Scotty Cameron Phantom X8's which is going really well. And recently ditched my Ping G30 3 wood and swapped for a lofted Titleist TS2 3 wood (16.5 degrees so essentially a 4 wood).

Next season's ball of choice is currently open. Played TM Project A balls this season and really like them but will be trying out the Snell MTB Black and MTB-X balls shortly to see if they can claim a place.

Since I started playing again in 2012, I've tried loads of kit from all of the main manufacturers and I choose what works best for me. I don't need everything in my bag to be from one manufacturer.
I had the original version of the Glide wedges when they came out and have really struggled with them so went back to my Gorge versions I got when I was fitted way back and have just added a standard sole version ( so now have thin sole, standard and wide sole so set up for all conditions). However picked up the latest 3.0 version of the Glide at the weekend and feels much lighter than the original version and sit beautifully so very tempted. I have also ditched the Ping putter for an Odyssey v-fang 2 ball or milled #9 depending on which is working

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Most of my clubs are Callaway except putter and driver but that's because it's been bought from the pro shop rather than brand loyalty .

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I don't know if loyalty is the correct word, but once I found Ping hybrids and woods to be good for me, I've stuck with them. I think that's just common sense rather than brand loyalty. Stick with what you know you're comfortable with. Same with my wedges really, I got the 50° first, a Cleveland, and after using that for a while and liking it, when I added wedges later on I stuck with Cleveland so I knew they'd be of similar quality - and wouldn't take much adjustment to get used to.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I'm a big Slazenger fan, John Letters and Ben Sayers also, but I'll play anything really as long as it's 30 years old or more.

If you can hang on 20yrs or so you can have my set of JL F7s (vintage 2007). That is if by then I've decided to replace them...no guarantees there though as I still occasionally play my Wilson Staff Fluid Feel Tour Blades (oh they are so nice...just a beautiful golf club)

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
I have no real brand loyalty. I have a soft spot for Wilson Staff and Orka but both are based on what I feel are decent products at a far more reasonable price point. Just could not justify paying what Callaway and TM are charging for clubs now.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
If you can hang on 20yrs or so you can have my set of JL F7s (vintage 2007). That is if by then I've decided to replace them...no guarantees there though as I still occasionally play my Wilson Staff Fluid Feel Tour Blades (oh they are so nice...just a beautiful golf club)

Re the F7s, please see my second post..... ;)

If I'm being honest the looks probably account for 75% in my choices.