BOOM

D

Deleted member 15344

Reading through social media and it seems the event ended up being pretty much a non event ? Golf poor , “banter” false and forced , a contrived finish to get it under floodlights, even the commentators saying it lacked any spark , no real wow moments , Mickleson sounding like Darth Vadar and zero chemistry between the two.

The positives appear to be the course ( even though I saw one person say it’s as false as the event ? ) and the players being mic’d up - it was interesting that it was being displayed as a first etc but didn’t Nick Dougherty play a round at the Dunhill Links mic’d up ? And the other “firsts” - in play betting and PPV ( so money driven for the yanks)

Hopefully though the fact it appears to have been a damp squib ( on the whole judging by social media ) it would mean this sort of thing is put away in a box never to be brought out again.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Reading through social media and it seems the event ended up being pretty much a non event ? Golf poor , “banter” false and forced , a contrived finish to get it under floodlights, even the commentators saying it lacked any spark , no real wow moments , Mickleson sounding like Darth Vadar and zero chemistry between the two.

The positives appear to be the course ( even though I saw one person say it’s as false as the event ? ) and the players being mic’d up - it was interesting that it was being displayed as a first etc but didn’t Nick Dougherty play a round at the Dunhill Links mic’d up ? And the other “firsts” - in play betting and PPV ( so money driven for the yanks)

Hopefully though the fact it appears to have been a damp squib ( on the whole judging by social media ) it would mean this sort of thing is put away in a box never to be brought out again.

Did someone piss on your corn flakes?

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
I am Spartacus!
I’m Bryan

Well, what a load of tosh that was, at least the little I watched. Tuned in at the first out of curiosity, they had already played their tee shots and were strolling up the fairway. The “banter”, read conversation was awful. They appeared to be trying to make conversation for the sake of it, I guess for the camera, but it was just contrived crap. No real chemistry between them, they were two cold fish forcing themselves to be friendly.

Phil sounded like he was out of puff on every step, makes me feel better, at least I was asthmatic earlier in life. Left it on in the background for another hole but switched off after the second, it was dull as dishwater, and they were playing so slow it was painful. Switched on again over 3 hours later to see who was winning only to see that they had just gotten to fourteen......as a two ball match play, you have to be kidding me. It was all square, the crowd following on the course was very small, I’ve seen bigger crowds following ladies events (and I don’t mean that in a derogatory way, just that the Ladies events don’t generally have the same crowd levels as the men), then the commentators started talking about where the money was going, how the bets had switched from Tiger to Phil..... yawn, switch off.

Certainly wouldn’t have tuned in if it was ppv, I only did as a cursory check out of curiosity, a total waste of time. A round with Aliss was a much better format and way to play this sort of match, someone along to spark the chat. If they try this again, with these two (I suspect they won’t), it won’t be anywhere near my to watch list.

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
I’m Bryan

Well, what a load of tosh that was, at least the little I watched. Tuned in at the first out of curiosity, they had already played their tee shots and were strolling up the fairway. The “banter”, read conversation was awful. They appeared to be trying to make conversation for the sake of it, I guess for the camera, but it was just contrived crap. No real chemistry between them, they were two cold fish forcing themselves to be friendly.

Phil sounded like he was out of puff on every step, makes me feel better, at least I was asthmatic earlier in life. Left it on in the background for another hole but switched off after the second, it was dull as dishwater, and they were playing so slow it was painful. Switched on again over 3 hours later to see who was winning only to see that they had just gotten to fourteen......as a two ball match play, you have to be kidding me. It was all square, the crowd following on the course was very small, I’ve seen bigger crowds following ladies events (and I don’t mean that in a derogatory way, just that the Ladies events don’t generally have the same crowd levels as the men), then the commentators started talking about where the money was going, how the bets had switched from Tiger to Phil..... yawn, switch off.

Certainly wouldn’t have tuned in if it was ppv, I only did as a cursory check out of curiosity, a total waste of time. A round with Aliss was a much better format and way to play this sort of match, someone along to spark the chat. If they try this again, with these two (I suspect they won’t), it won’t be anywhere near my to watch list.
I appreciate you tried to watch it but turning off after 2 holes?it might have got better.
I didn’t watch it so I couldn’t comment on it,but after 2 holes?

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site

Whilst some of what you’ve read has merits. The bold is rubbish. Neither played fantastically well, but neither of them need the money or limelight so badly that they’d have agreed Pre match to fake it for sponsors. Woods chip in to keep the match going on the 17th can’t be fixed as such either.

End of the day they’d just made 500k for charity at least. In 6 hours. I’d support the golfing world doing this once a year with whatever Stars wanna get involved for that reason alone.

D

Deleted member 15344

Whilst some of what you’ve read has merits. The bold is rubbish. Neither played fantastically well, but neither of them need the money or limelight so badly that they’d have agreed Pre match to fake it for sponsors. Woods chip in to keep the match going on the 17th can’t be fixed as such either.

End of the day they’d just made 500k for charity at least. In 6 hours. I’d support the golfing world doing this once a year with whatever Stars wanna get involved for that reason alone.

Apparently Mickelson was “given” a putt on the 18th that was far from easy which he needed to make to force a playoff ? So Woods gave it to him ?

And yep they raised 500k to charity - how much did Mickleson earn doing it £9mil was it - sports stars all over the world raise millions for charity in exhibition matches etc but for zero personal gain. This was a match created for personal gain with charity being a side show - it’s either a charity match where all the money goes to charity or it’s a exhibition match for personal gain - the charity bets was an after thought. So yep they raised $500k for charity ( I guess the bets dried up after the first hole as such ) - if they really want to make it all about the charity then I would hope Mickleson donates that tax free $9 mil to charity ?

Pin-seeker

Visit site

Did you watch it really Phil?
Did you???

I bet you blooming well did 😂.

Just sat there for 5 hrs with a face like thunder 🤬

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
It needed a Radar type walking with the players to get more from them, Tiger got his game face in pretty early in which killed any potential banter.
The tv crew were poor as well, it was set up a bit too much like a regular pay event.
Saying that though I’m being picky and enjoyed it as a whole.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Apparently Mickelson was “given” a putt on the 18th that was far from easy which he needed to make to force a playoff ? So Woods gave it to him ?

And yep they raised 500k to charity - how much did Mickleson earn doing it £9mil was it - sports stars all over the world raise millions for charity in exhibition matches etc but for zero personal gain. This was a match created for personal gain with charity being a side show - it’s either a charity match where all the money goes to charity or it’s a exhibition match for personal gain - the charity bets was an after thought. So yep they raised $500k for charity ( I guess the bets dried up after the first hole as such ) - if they really want to make it all about the charity then I would hope Mickleson donates that tax free $9 mil to charity ?

That putt was 3 feet.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Productuon wise the drones were a flop. Constant buzz sound and didn't really add anything new.

How the Mic the players up could have been better. Sound wasn't great at times. Too much russeling and phil panting

Wolf

Visit site
After watching Moana for about the 52nd time this year with my daughters, I flicked over to sky sports to see what the coverage was like and was massively underwhelmed with it, maybe that's because I was expecting to be.

I watched 2 holes and heard Charles Barkley on commentary say they were playing so badly even he as a terrible golder could beat them. Think at that point about 500k was in pot for charity, the conversation I heard between the 2 players felt massively forced and whole thing with the audience limited to the gamblers just didn't make it interesting.

The biggest shock was seeing Phil hit 2 consecutive fairways! Maybe I could have watched it longer to give it chance but the 2 holes I did watch took an age to play,.so turned it off and read a book.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
For those who didn't see it, here are the 7 most memorable one liners from the day according to Golf.com

1. “I’m going to side sauce one in from the right”

2.“Tasty little morsel there”

3.“This is some crappy golf. I could beat these two today!”: Charles Barkley

4.“I think I just willed his [putt] out”

5.“I’m trying to be more talkative this back nine, but I’m not”

6.“That hurts the pocket.”

7.“Let’s go play.”

Can anyone beat those?

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Didn't bother watching it, although I will probably YouTube it for the highlights. Both guys on their game back in the day were great to watch. Neither could be guaranteed to turn in a decent performance these days. Much rather see 2 players from the top 5 in the world rankings going head-2-head.

upsidedown

Tour Winner
Visit site
We watched it from the 11th when we got in from Presentation night at our club and enjoyed it , gentle entertainment . Noise from the blimp was annoying at times tho

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The concession on 18: I thought at the time Tiger didn’t want the whole thing to end in the spectacle of old Phil missing a 3 footer, I thought it was sporting.

The drones were awful, please never again! The hum was cruel.

The spotlights were necessary, the sun goes down extremely quickly in Nevada, like you think you have enough light to play 3 holes and it’s pitch dark before you reach the first green. The hilarious thing was them complaining it had got cold fast. It was 15 degrees.

Phil should have won the match on the front 9, played great golf (hit loads of fairways!) but made absolutely nothing. Tiger held in there with ropey tee to green and class up and downs.

I don’t think the idea was all that poor a one, but they didn’t light it up, I guess the tv guys were hoping for Rory Vs Reed Ryder cup style birdie fest to and fro but we got a grind. Not entertaining enough to be the only match you’re watching.

The betting never took off. Tiger offered Phil a bet on the fourth fairway and Phil asked for odds but tiger wouldn’t give them to him. That was pretty much that. I think Phil was concentrating too much on winning probably cos he was throwing it away.

And finally : the only reason I was watching was to hear the interaction between player and caddy. I was underwhelmed. I think these guys are so long in the tooth they do all their own thinking and only need a few numbers. Rarely did I hear the caddies offer anything crucial to the shot. The only thing of interest was the 100 box. Joe LaCava (no idea if that’s how it’s spelt!) said it was 170 to the 100 box. I’ve never thought of having a landing area like a box, the middle of which I’d aim for and if I’m ten yards out I’m on 90 or 110. For me to be fully comfortable I’d make a 90 box but it’s something to play with. Tiger laid up and made bird. I’ve always tried to get it as close to the green as possible but thinking about it that gets me in trouble on a few holes. Not saying I’m Tiger from 100 yards but it would take some nasty spots out of play if I haven’t driven well.

On the up side I haven’t felt like playing golf since the white tees went away mid October. I just got an itch...

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
You cannot complain about the pace of play on this one.

It was thanksgiving viewing for yanks paying 20dollars for the privilege. Had they buzzed around in 2.5 hours in buggies people would be rightly annoyed.

The fact the match wasn't overly exciting was no surprise to me. Golf has that tendency in head to head games. If Phil had of taken even one or two of his decent chances early doors it would have been a stroll for him.

The way it turned out was probably as best a result as they could hope for.