BOOM

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
Apparently Mickelson was “given” a putt on the 18th that was far from easy which he needed to make to force a playoff ? So Woods gave it to him ?

And yep they raised 500k to charity - how much did Mickleson earn doing it £9mil was it - sports stars all over the world raise millions for charity in exhibition matches etc but for zero personal gain. This was a match created for personal gain with charity being a side show - it’s either a charity match where all the money goes to charity or it’s a exhibition match for personal gain - the charity bets was an after thought. So yep they raised $500k for charity ( I guess the bets dried up after the first hole as such ) - if they really want to make it all about the charity then I would hope Mickleson donates that tax free $9 mil to charity ?
As I said I didn’t watch it.
What I get from this is Woods would have won the 9 million if Phil missed the putt?
If it was about the 9 million there’s no way Woods would have give it.
I would suggest( but maybe wrong that the 9 million was split.
Some liked it some didn’t by the sounds of it,same as most tournaments.
I’m with you on one thing golf doesn’t need this type of show and I hope it doesn’t become regular.
Just nice to see charities benefit.

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
That putt was 3 feet.
It was Mickelson conceding a longish put in the playoff and certainly not a gimme that I didn’t sit right with me.

That’s the put that Phil said ‘he doesn’t want the game to end like that’ some will see that as good sportsmanship but I thought the put was to long to be given and degrades the game.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
It was Mickelson conceding a longish put in the playoff and certainly not a gimme that I didn’t sit right with me.

That’s the put that Phil said ‘he doesn’t want the game to end like that’ some will see that as good sportsmanship but I thought the put was to long to be given and degrades the game.

Sometimes sportsmanship wins.

Visit site
Maybe it was because I was watching my heroes......the reason I started out playing golf 15 years ago, but I REALLY enjoyed it.
It was SO different to your normal viewing. Agreed the golf wasn't the highest standard, but it wasn't bad, with a few glimpses of brilliance.
However, I felt entertained throughout. Maybe I'm easily pleased.
Yes, the gimmes were a little suspect, but there was genuine sportsmanship and respect for each other.
You weren't watching the World No1 and No2, but even if we had been, I don't believe the standard would have been much higher.
If, for instance, I watch Rory, I am constantly underwhelmed.
Fair play to both of them for playing the match, and if charities benefit to the tune of £7million, then who can knock that?

Pin-seeker

Visit site
It needed a Radar type walking with the players to get more from them, Tiger got his game face in pretty early in which killed any potential banter.
The tv crew were poor as well, it was set up a bit too much like a regular pay event.
Saying that though I’m being picky and enjoyed it as a whole.

Pretty much same for me.
I

Pin-seeker

Visit site
Got to laugh at some of the melts on Twitter that claimed not to have watched it,but they’re STILL talking about it 🤷‍♂️😂😂

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
Apparently Mickelson was “given” a putt on the 18th that was far from easy which he needed to make to force a playoff ? So Woods gave it to him ?

And yep they raised 500k to charity - how much did Mickleson earn doing it £9mil was it - sports stars all over the world raise millions for charity in exhibition matches etc but for zero personal gain. This was a match created for personal gain with charity being a side show - it’s either a charity match where all the money goes to charity or it’s a exhibition match for personal gain - the charity bets was an after thought. So yep they raised $500k for charity ( I guess the bets dried up after the first hole as such ) - if they really want to make it all about the charity then I would hope Mickleson donates that tax free $9 mil to charity ?

It was 3 ft uphill. It was a gimme. If Woods is as greedy as some make out, and doing this simply for the money, why would he have given it.

If a charity earns half a million. And the rest goes to the stars I couldnt care less. The companies hosting it obviously thought it was worth hosting. How many stars donate 10m to charity in one go?

Those that didn't want to enjoy this will always find reasons not to and to grumble.

The Autumn Wind

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I enjoyed watching it. It gave a different insight into professional golf. I’m not a big fan of either player, but I thought Phil and Tiger both came across really well, and being miked up humanised them and made them seem a bit more normal.

I can see it becoming more than a one off, with more of the top players agreeing to head to head showdowns for a big purse. Could easily see a Rory v Dustin match for example, but I don’t think it would sell as well. Tiger is still the biggest box office
draw.

The course looked beautiful and the broadcast quality was ok. Darren Clarke was excellent.

Golf needs to do something to attract new players, so it was an interesting event to watch. I enjoyed it more than I thought I would.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Sat through 14 holes and that was enough. Pace of play for a two ball was atrocious, Phil sounded out of breath all the time (or was doing a sneaky Darth Vadar impression). Banter wasn't great and the interaction between the player and caddy no different to the snippets we get on the usual PGA coverage. The course itself did look stunning. The quality of the golf not great but as has been said throughout the thread this event is probably ten years too late to be a real classic head to head. I hope in time Phil announces all (or far more) of the cash is going to charities. I wanted to enjoy it, stuck it out as long as I could but didn't really take to it. A 5/10 from me

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
Watched 9 holes, was pretty dull. Dreadfully slow, poor standard of golf, they weren't mic'd up properly (you shouldn't have been able to hear them breathing for example), the commentary was dreadful, wasn't good. Not arsed about the money, it's good they donated a decent amount of money to charity, but really wasn't worth watching.

D

Deleted member 1418

I switched off after the 2nd shots into the 2nd when I realised that I actually had a life and didn't really give a toss about either of them!! 😂

From the little I saw, it was rubbish and not worth all the hype.

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site

I saw it as confidence from Phil. I think this meant a lot more to Mickelson than Woods.

Whilst there was some clearly staged chat, when Woods holed then chip, Phil’s reaction was honest. I genuinely think after the two tee shots they’d both played on the play off, Mickelson backed himself to get it done.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I switched off after the 2nd shots into the 2nd when I realised that I actually had a life and didn't really give a toss about either of them!! 😂

From the little I saw, it was rubbish and not worth all the hype.
tried to watch i bit, about 10 mins, buggering about on the tee, so gave up and watched some chick flick instead;)

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Sat through 14 holes and that was enough. Pace of play for a two ball was atrocious, Phil sounded out of breath all the time (or was doing a sneaky Darth Vadar impression). Banter wasn't great and the interaction between the player and caddy no different to the snippets we get on the usual PGA coverage. The course itself did look stunning. The quality of the golf not great but as has been said throughout the thread this event is probably ten years too late to be a real classic head to head. I hope in time Phil announces all (or far more) of the cash is going to charities. I wanted to enjoy it, stuck it out as long as I could but didn't really take to it. A 5/10 from me

I was surprised how much breathing I could hear too. But since it was a first the tv sound guys will now know how far away the mic needs to be for a walking golfer & lesson learned probably
Pace wasn't an issue, they didn't hold anyone up, no group to keep up to and were never on the clock :p (thinking on to the similarities to a boxing PPV event we saw in the build up I cant recall the last fight that started anywhere near the schedule for touch gloves, it seems that PPV events generally overrun quite badly)

I do think the banter would get a bit more 'earthy' if more matches were played (to be honest it probably happens like that in our own games where the more you play with folk the more you can say) so again being a first maybe meant it was never going to be banter gold

Phil giving more to charity wouldn't retrospectively make me enjoy the event more or less, & since it wasn't out of my pocket for me he can do what he likes with it

I doubt the event was the commercial success it needed to be in order to spawn more but I have spent far longer watching far less exciting football matches or crap films & I didn't have to choose between that golf or some other programme or golf coverage, overall I enjoyed it

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
I doubt the event was the commercial success it needed to be in order to spawn more but I have spent far longer watching far less exciting football matches or crap films & I didn't have to choose between that golf or some other programme or golf coverage, overall I enjoyed it

Does anyone know who put up the prize money?
It ran like a live betting feed at times, imagine the amount of money placed on bets in Vegas alone on that game? Staggering I imagine, 9 million dollars an hour no doubt lol.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Does anyone know who put up the prize money?
It ran like a live betting feed at times, imagine the amount of money placed on bets in Vegas alone on that game? Staggering I imagine, 9 million dollars an hour no doubt lol.

Think it was mostly stumped up by capital one bank (US)

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
I appreciate you tried to watch it but turning off after 2 holes?it might have got better.
I didn’t watch it so I couldn’t comment on it,but after 2 holes?

So it was dull, uninteresting and a waste of time for the 20 minutes or so that I watched, and you think I should have stuck with it wasting more time, even though you didn't watch it yourself...... I don't get that. I wasn't planning on watching at all, but curiosity got the better of me. I wished I had listened to the mrs and not bothered because there was nothing on view making me want to keep watching, 20 minutes viewing was 20 minutes too many.