BOOM

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Rose got his $10 million for being the best player over the whole year, not just a one off 18 hole game. You could liken this to ManCity winning the Premier League Vs a one off match between Spurs and Leeds...one side still up the top reaches, one side has been there but can't quite get back there
Big difference.
Using the "if XXXX was given the chance" line doesn't work because they wouldn't be given the chance. Villa Vs Blackburn doesn't quite have the same pull.
Take Tiger out of the equation and the money wouldn't be there anyway.

If all the cash is going to charity then they can do one of these every week
They don't need it, they've already earned millions this year - or should I say Been Paid....
This is a sideshow, a Circus and if it's designed to line the coffers of the players with a little bit ( in comparison) going to charity then it's just wrong.
Give it all away and they will have done a good PR job.
Just my opinion.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I imagine the amount money is seen as a draw to some people.

Tiger playing for 250k in a one off match doesn't sound like any stakes at all for someone of his wealth.

D

Deleted member 15344

Exactly, some folks are really against the money aspect in this match but happy for their team to receive it when they pop off to asia to rake in a few million for pre-season exhibition games that are purely designed as revenue generators

I actually think most fans don’t like the globetrotting friendlies that clubs do hence the very big negative reaction when game 39 was proposed so your attempt comparison appears to be irrelevant there

The money in this match is tiny in comparison to other sports. Jeez its reported today that LFC just spent 10 million dollar wages a year on a (no doubt good) player who's only notable achievements are a CL runner up and a EPL player of the month award back in 2017. And he's just one of dozens and dozens of players earning that and more in a single league (some don't even play from one month to the next!)

You are going into the areas of wages now - Woods earns over £100mil a year and suspect Mickleson isn’t far behind him. You are trying to compare prize money for one off matches to players wages - try comparing prize money and again Golf wins.

As I said on the other thread Rose picked up his $10m bonus a few weeks back (and while I'm sure he does plenty for good causes) no one on this forum was badgering him to give half of it to charity. Huge double standards being applied simply based on whether you like the players involved or not

Again the comparison isn’t right - Rose won the money competiting againsg every single other PGA tour player throughout the whole season - Rose didn’t win the money on a one off match where spectators weren’t allowed and it was shown on PPV to ensure more money

And while I'm typing, why do I get the feeling that if eddie pepperell was actually offered a no risk 50/50 chance to pocket $9m for playing 18 holes he'd be tweeting Vegas Baby! Instead of pathetic
(I cant recall him giving the same comment to Rose for banking his $10m golden egg!) Oh and isn't he a big Chelsea fan? Talk about double standards for the pathetic amounts of money involved!

I suspect Pepperell and a lot of the others wouldn’t get involved in such a project - and again the Rose comparison is irrelevant - that was winnings across a whole season against the whole Tour

This may well turn out to be a commercial flop in which case we wont see it return but that's not a reason not to try it out with the two most successful players of their generation
(I understand this was attempted with rory/ricky a couple of years back but they were unable to find a sponsor, so maybe it needs these two just to see if the challenge/exhibition concept has legs in today's market)

The hype has gone through the roof because it appears that the PPV hasn’t exactly brought in the commercial money they expected , social media is full of people both media and players quite disgusted with it all - it’s an exhibition match between two players on the way down , if it was 10/15 years ago then it might have grabbed a bit more attention but people especially in the UK aren’t going to pay one off costs to watch it hence why the PPV option didn’t take off in the UK.

This whole circus will add nothing to the game - it will just add to the poor image of elitism - two Multi millionaires playing for vast amounts - cringeworthy bets , media hype crass

Thankfully I suspect it will be a one off

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Rose got his $10 million for being the best player over the whole year, not just a one off 18 hole game. You could liken this to ManCity winning the Premier League Vs a one off match between Spurs and Leeds...one side still up the top reaches, one side has been there but can't quite get back there
Big difference.
Using the "if XXXX was given the chance" line doesn't work because they wouldn't be given the chance. Villa Vs Blackburn doesn't quite have the same pull.

They don't need it, they've already earned millions this year - or should I say Been Paid....
This is a sideshow, a Circus and if it's designed to line the coffers of the players with a little bit ( in comparison) going to charity then it's just wrong.
Just my opinion.

Exactly, it’s easy for Pepperell to act offended by the money at stake because he knows he’ll never have that opportunity (but he doesn’t seem offended by Chelsea’s money and what that does to the smaller clubs or to the game in general) You’re either offended by wealth or you’re not, you can hardly pick and choose which sports can flaunt it and which can’t (especially when his own earnings are only where they are because of the impact of players like Phil & Tiger)

Rose won the order of merit (& good on him) but he got prize money through the season too, regardless of the elapsed time taken to win it, his 10m was just an icing on the cake/bonus payment for one single season (still a pretty pathetic & obscene amount if I wanted to be offended) and Phil, Rose & Woods all won once each on the PGA Tour this year, so not quite the lower league teams on show here, more like parity

Phil & Tiger have already made sure charities benefit by millions in their careers, are we saying everything they ever do must benefit charity and if so why shouldn’t that apply to Rose too

I agree though if it wasn’t for Tiger’s involvement the money just wouldn’t be on offer (which is why I think this will be a once off event and the larger concept will fail) but I’ll still watch it simply because it’ll be a one-off

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Trying to compare Rose being rewarded for being the best, most consistent golfer over a period of a season to this one off media lead game is nonsense if I'm being frank. Not even close in my opinion however accept your opinion.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
I actually think most fans don’t like the globetrotting friendlies that clubs do hence the very big negative reaction when game 39 was proposed so your attempt comparison appears to be irrelevant there

I never said fans like it I said happy for their teams to receive it, jeez!

You are going into the areas of wages now - Woods earns over £100mil a year and suspect Mickleson isn’t far behind him. You are trying to compare prize money for one off matches to players wages - try comparing prize money and again Golf wins.

I think you'll find that both Woods & Phil's wages from the tour were lower this year than what Mane will get next year (both under 5m) They (& Mane) will get more from other routes like sponsors etc

Again the comparison isn’t right - Rose won the money competiting againsg every single other PGA tour player throughout the whole season - Rose didn’t win the money on a one off match where spectators weren’t allowed and it was shown on PPV to ensure more money

So, why does that make the money on offer in this exhibition wrong? These names are big enough to pull in that kind of money from a corporate sponsor, who is losing out here, why is it a bad thing?

I suspect Pepperell and a lot of the others wouldn’t get involved in such a project - and again the Rose comparison is irrelevant - that was winnings across a whole season against the whole Tour

You (& I) can suspect all we like, as I just posted above its easy to be offended when you know you wont be faced with the option

The hype has gone through the roof because it appears that the PPV hasn’t exactly brought in the commercial money they expected , social media is full of people both media and players quite disgusted with it all - it’s an exhibition match between two players on the way down , if it was 10/15 years ago then it might have grabbed a bit more attention but people especially in the UK aren’t going to pay one off costs to watch it hence why the PPV option didn’t take off in the UK.

This whole circus will add nothing to the game - it will just add to the poor image of elitism - two Multi millionaires playing for vast amounts - cringeworthy bets , media hype crass

I don't think the model will succeed either but why is it wrong to try it and find out, again who is being hurt or losing out here?

Thankfully I suspect it will be a one off

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Trying to compare Rose being rewarded for being the best, most consistent golfer over a period of a season to this one off media lead game is nonsense if I'm being frank. Not even close in my opinion however accept your opinion.

It's the $9m on offer that some people seem to have a problem with though, not the fact Tiger and Phil are having an exhibition match. So $10m for not winning a tour event and $9m for not winning a tour event, I think are pretty comparable

By having this opportunity aren't tiger or phil just 'being rewarded' for being the best over a period of 20 years in the game (not just one season)

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
It's the $9m on offer that some people seem to have a problem with though, not the fact Tiger and Phil are having an exhibition match. So $10m for not winning a tour event and $9m for not winning a tour event, I think are pretty comparable

By having this opportunity aren't tiger or phil just 'being rewarded' for being the best over a period of 20 years in the game (not just one season)

Fair enough but for me not at all comparable. One is a reward for a season of consistency one is for a one off public exhibition match.

For me not even on the same page.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Fair enough but for me not at all comparable. One is a reward for a season of consistency one is for a one off public exhibition match.

That's cool. I don't have an issue with either prize-pot (mainly cos its not me having to cover it :D )

Off topic but I have more of an issue with players like Tiger getting millions in 'appearance' money to play in certain tour events (that's a slippery slope there's no climbing back on)

TheDiablo

Challenge Tour Pro
Banned
Visit site
Big difference.

Just my opinion.

That football comparison is awful!! Tiger and Phil are still the 2 biggest draws in global golf, and by a long way.

This is Real Madrid v Barcelona. Albeit a pointless post-season money spinner played in Abu Dhabi.

My favourite comment on the whole event went something like this.

'Tiger v Phil to be $19.99 on PPV. Which is ironically the year this should have been played.'

Grantley1988

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Slightly off topic but the Fedex cup points system is comical with the last few rounds getting bonus points.

Tiger finished 2nd in the FedEx cup due to the final round win.

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I really don’t feel strongly about any of it, and wasn’t going to bother even when I realised I’d be home alone and could get it on NowTV.

However.

The prospect that they will be mic-ed up is interesting, I always love hearing the conversations caddies and players have and don’t think we get enough of it. If I thought I’d see Tiger and Phil go through their process on every shot I’m in.

If they only switch them on intermittently for staged god awful bantz I’ll be bitterly disappointed!

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I am disappointed that there will be comentary, as I do not think it is necessary. If there is nothing being spoken, just let it be quiet for a bit.

My concern is gambling. The producers were talking about putting live odds on screen, so that punters can gamble on the outcomes too. This would be a turn off for me.

I also hope that there is not too much bantz, as forced or pre prepared stuff is never funny.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
I can't really get the folk who are dead against this.

You are either interested in it and want to watch it, or you aren't.

Hating on it is a pretty non-nonsensical position given that;
* it isn't at the expense of any other players or tournament
* you can easily just ignore it
* the money they are earning wouldn't be going anywhere else without them having the match
* it is televised golf and could be an interesting format that becomes something of a 'thing' to change the way we enjoy golf - especially with players being micd up.
* of course charities will make some cash on it (personally that doesn't interest me, nothing against the charities, but these guys have their foundations and charities and do a huge amount for these causes each year anyway and I don't think the money they make from this will really make much of a dent in what they raise or give throughout the year anyway).

Yes - the money is obscene, but that's America. Money is good and if it was just a casual game for bragging rights only, it simply wouldn't have the same level of interest without cash being up for grabs.

Personally would rather they were genuinely putting up a few million of their own cash. That to me would be more interesting - for $1M each of their own cash, winner takes all rather than playing for $9M of someone elses money. Also wouldn't be surprised if the winner announces they are giving most of it to their charity.

I would be more angry at Robbie Williams flogging sport relief to people and guilt tripping modest and low earners into giving money to charity. Sport relief raised £38M this year. Robbie Williams could have covered that whole total himself and still retained over £100m of his own money! That is obscene.

Norrin Radd

Tour Winner
Visit site
all this bitching is really tiresome,if you dont like the idea of them playing this match ,fine no problem but to keep posting negatives about it trying to justify your dislike is just bloody childish. if you dont want to watch it or you dont agree with it as a whole dont keep bleating on ,
why cant you accept that its going to happen ,that they are going to make a few bob and some charities are going to get a few bob in their respective coffers that they would not have otherwise got .
get a life you doom merchants ,the world is a sad enough place without whinging about a couple of blokes playing a game of golf that will raise interest in the game and raise a few bob for charity .
nobody does anything for nothing these days and why should they.

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
all this bitching is really tiresome,if you dont like the idea of them playing this match ,fine no problem but to keep posting negatives about it trying to justify your dislike is just bloody childish. if you dont want to watch it or you dont agree with it as a whole dont keep bleating on ,
why cant you accept that its going to happen ,that they are going to make a few bob and some charities are going to get a few bob in their respective coffers that they would not have otherwise got .
get a life you doom merchants ,the world is a sad enough place without whinging about a couple of blokes playing a game of golf that will raise interest in the game and raise a few bob for charity .

100% agree with this, it's just like most political threads on here.
My take on it is this, I don't particularly want to watch it ............................ but I won't be able to help myself.
I'm just too curious as to how it will unfold and I'm intrigued. It's like not wanting to see the car crash on the other carriageway, but we all do, well most of us do, if we're brutally honest.
Oh, and it's such a shame they didn't do this 15 years ago when they were both top quality players.

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'll watch it. Would have streamed it, now I don't have to. I reckon it'll be a bit of harmless fun. I like both guys, just hope they play some decent golf and it's not one-sided either way.

User20205

Money List Winner
Visit site
Why use words like ‘bitching’ and ‘childish’ for disagreeing with the concept? It’s just an opinion.
I won’t watch it, but does that preclude me from commenting. It’s crass IMO, not just the prize money but the betting aspect.
If you’re happy with a game you love being debased in such away, then fine. It strikes me as a bit rocky vs hulk hogan in rocky 3 or mayweather vs MacGregor. There should be a point to sport, something at stake, there is none of that here !!

D

Deleted member 15344

You do understand it’s a forum for debate both positive and negative , if we all agreed on everything it would be very dull and threads would stop in an instant.
It’s an event that has caused a lot of negative views and social media is full of it - if you don’t like the negative views then scroll on bye and ignore it , it’s not going to stop despite you complaining. The thread has been negative towards the event but it’s also been respectful towards the posters making the points - until you posteD telling people to “get a life” , your moral high ground disappears