BOOM

Pin-seeker

Visit site
You’re an odd man. Takes all sorts👍I still wanna know what you think, I wanna get to know the real pinseeker 🤣🤣
I think it’s all a bit silly tbh.
But if someone offered any of us $9m for a few hours “work” we’d snap their hands off.

If it Tiger wasn’t involved I doubt done would be so upset by it.

But the good thing about it is that none of us are forced to watch it 👍🏻

Hope that satisfies Rod 😉

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Both of them have stated that the winnings will go to charity. All side bets included. So the CRASS money is a good thing.

That has changed then as both said a proportion of the money would go to charity earlier in the week.

Also those side bets, the cynic in me (unlike me I know) says they will be covered by Leftie and Tigers sponsors, I'd be gobsmacked if they were footing that money themselves!

Rich get richer.

D

Deleted member 15344

Both of them have stated that the winnings will go to charity. All side bets included. So the CRASS money is a good thing.
The side bets going to charity but certainly nothing about the prize money as yet

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
The side bets going to charity but certainly nothing about the prize money as yet

I thought i'd seen them say the prize would be donated, but evidently not. That being said, i reckon they'll run up a couple of million in side bets, and wouldn't be surprised to see the prize get donated too.
I still don't think 9m is bad anyways. Exhibition or not, a company have made it pay per view. Just like in other sports, if people to choose t pay it then a price has to be put on it.

I personally wouldn't have paid for either, BUT imo this has A lot more credibility than many boxing bouts that go pay per view when a returning star fights a nobody, or ufc star....

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
That has changed then as both said a proportion of the money would go to charity earlier in the week.

Also those side bets, the cynic in me (unlike me I know) says they will be covered by Leftie and Tigers sponsors, I'd be gobsmacked if they were footing that money themselves!

Rich get richer.

I thought i'd seen that it was all, but accept i was wrong.

Re the side bets, i don't know about Mickelson but id imagine he does plenty. But Woods donations to his foundation are huge, so i would imagine he knows the most efficient way to donate....

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Whatever goes to charity is going to be a huge sum and make a massive difference to many. Whether you buy into the circus surrounding how its being done or not, the fact less fortunate people will be helped and that has to be a good thing.

Pin-seeker

Visit site
Who is making it doom and gloom due to Tiger?

Personally I'd switch off far sooner watching Phil and his fake smile than I would watching Tiger.

I'll be the second one tonight to challenge you to post an opinion rather than dig at other's opinions.
But it’s you and my No1 fan 🤷‍♂️

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I have not watched any of the build up but will be 'tooning' in tomorrow.

Why wouldn't I? It's Phil vs tiger mic'd up.

It might be good. It might be crap but will be worth seeing for sure.

The money is too much if they walk away with most of it. Hopefully not as they don't need it at all.

Fair play to sky for getting it sorted on UK tv free of charge. It is our channel for golf after all.

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
No, l won't be watching.

Partly because I'm not especially interested in a meaningless head to head between Tiger & Phil (or indeed any meaningless head to head between any other two players of your choice). But mainly because it will be a (minimum?) 4-5 hour event featuring just two players. Lets say they play 65-70 shots each. It will be half an hour of golf and 4.5 hours of two blokes walking round a field.

For me, l think I'll try to find some paint that's drying

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Is it any worse than top football teams playing meaningless preseason games against other top European teams around the world to rake in more money?

Exactly, some folks are really against the money aspect in this match but happy for their team to receive it when they pop off to asia to rake in a few million for pre-season exhibition games that are purely designed as revenue generators

The money in this match is tiny in comparison to other sports. Jeez its reported today that LFC just spent 10 million dollar wages a year on a (no doubt good) player who's only notable achievements are a CL runner up and a EPL player of the month award back in 2017. And he's just one of dozens and dozens of players earning that and more in a single league (some don't even play from one month to the next!)

As I said on the other thread Rose picked up his $10m bonus a few weeks back (and while I'm sure he does plenty for good causes) no one on this forum was badgering him to give half of it to charity. Huge double standards being applied simply based on whether you like the players involved or not

And while I'm typing, why do I get the feeling that if eddie pepperell was actually offered a no risk 50/50 chance to pocket $9m for playing 18 holes he'd be tweeting Vegas Baby! Instead of pathetic
(I cant recall him giving the same comment to Rose for banking his $10m golden egg!) Oh and isn't he a big Chelsea fan? Talk about double standards for the pathetic amounts of money involved!

This may well turn out to be a commercial flop in which case we wont see it return but that's not a reason not to try it out with the two most successful players of their generation
(I understand this was attempted with rory/ricky a couple of years back but they were unable to find a sponsor, so maybe it needs these two just to see if the challenge/exhibition concept has legs in today's market)