Books - what are you reading just now?

• Thread starter Deleted Member 1156
  • Start date

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Just finished The Biggest Bluff by Maria Konnikova, a psychologists view on learning poker and how it can help in lifes decisions.

And now started Elevator Pitch by Linwood Barclay. A very intriguing start...

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Just finished The Biggest Bluff by Maria Konnikova, a psychologists view on learning poker and how it can help in lifes decisions.

And now started Elevator Pitch by Linwood Barclay. A very intriguing start...

I also have just started Elevator Pitch, well, I am on the first page anyway.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Am I the only reader on here who is not that bothered about current fiction (though of course I'll read the occasional novel or non-fiction) but who prefers to go back in time to pick up on the classics (specifically Victorian through to 1930s) - and works of renowned popular authors of the 50s and 60s no longer with us...:)

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
Currently re-reading Dodger by Terry Pratchett.

One of his few non Disc World books and one of his more dark subject books, up there with Nightwatch and Snuff.

Based in Victorian London it's an enjoyable read.

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
I read a lot more non-fiction than fiction. Currently on "Hidden Figures - the untold story of african american women who helped win the space race" (on which the film of the same name was based). An interesting insight into the barriers that some very talented individuals had to overcome just because of their gender and colour. 1940's/50's/60's America does not seem a very nice place if you were not white. (Some might say not a lot has changed ...)

D

Deleted Member 1156

Cold Shoulder, a Lynda La Plante crime thriller. Prior to that a couple of Jack Reacher stories. Definitely reading more than normal during this lockdown!

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Anyone reading Chaucer - anyone ever read Chaucer - apparently some consider it essential reading? TBH - despite my love of the classics I just don't fancy it. Instead I think that when I have finished The Wind in the Willows I'll tackle King Lear...it's a long time since I've read any Billy Shakes :)

D

Deleted member 1147

Thursday Murder Club by Richard Osman

Only a few chapters in, seems ok

finished the Looking Glass War this morning, excellent

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Trouble with Lichen by John Wyndham - about an anti-aging medication given normally by injection with much controversy over who should get it first. Elderly or youth. Interesting parallels with today. And King Lear proving more engaging than I thought it would. But not easy to read.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Shute was English.

One of my favourites is Trustee from the Toolroom. Requiem for a Wren is another good read. A bit old in style, harking back to a very different time but I like them because of that.
Just finished Requiem for a Wren. Not at all what I expected - a marvellous story, and one so heartbreaking that I admit to having had a little tear in my eye (must have been due to dust) as I read the final pages...

and yes - also a fascinating historical insight into the part some played in the lead up to Normandy landings. I know a lot more about Oerlikon 20mm cannon than I did before I read this.?

Last edited:

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Just finished Shuggie Bain by Douglas Stuart.

A tough and uncompromising story of poverty, abuse and alcohol addiction in Glasgow of the 1970s and 1980s, but one also of love, despair and struggle in a Glasgow I’ve always been aware of but never really known; a Glasgow I could see as I grew up in the city and occasionally touched on, but fortunately never dropped into through circumstance or misfortune.

A very insightful and thought provoking read.