Books - what are you reading just now?

• Thread starter Deleted Member 1156
  • Start date

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Enjoying Beyond the Black Stump by Nevil Shute - based around sheep stations in northern Western Australia. Written contemporaneously with when it was published in 1956, the depictions in it of how the Aboriginal community was considered and treated back then is very thought provoking - and although I knew a bit about how it was, I still find it shocking (present day sensibilities...)

So notwithstanding 65yrs separating then and now, though things have improved a great deal for that community - where it has come from was such a very low point my admittedly rather superficial observations of the Aboriginal lot gained over 9wks last year spent travelling in Australia suggests there may still be a way to go. But where it was in 1955...

Being Australian did Shute write with a 'this is how it is' eye - or with a 'this is how it is - however...' I don't know.

Last edited:

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
I've been 'catching up' on Wilbur Smith's output during the several years he's been on 'my bench'! Not sure how I'm going to get through the 800+ page monster (Blue Horizon) that's been acting a a paper(back!)weight since it arrived!

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Enjoying Beyond the Black Stump by Nevil Shute - based around sheep stations in northern Western Australia. Written contemporaneously with when it was published in 1956, the depictions in it of how the Aboriginal community was considered and treated back then is very thought provoking - and although I knew a bit about how it was, I still find it shocking (present day sensibilities...)

So notwithstanding 65yrs separating then and now, though things have improved a great deal for that community - where it has come from was such a very low point my admittedly rather superficial observations of the Aboriginal lot gained over 9wks last year spent travelling in Australia suggests there may still be a way to go. But where it was in 1955...

Being Australian did Shute write with a 'this is how it is' eye - or with a 'this is how it is - however...' I don't know.

Shute was English.

One of my favourites is Trustee from the Toolroom. Requiem for a Wren is another good read. A bit old in style, harking back to a very different time but I like them because of that.

D

Deleted member 1147

About to start Call for the Dead, by John Le Carre.

JLC is easily my favourite author - Perfect Spy, the Karla trilogy, The Russia House etc, are all brilliant novels

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Shute was English.

One of my favourites is Trustee from the Toolroom. Requiem for a Wren is another good read. A bit old in style, harking back to a very different time but I like them because of that.
Indeed - my mistake from him living his final years in Australia. really enjoyed Beyond the Black Stump

In the end Shute managed, IMO successfully, to compare Northwest USA attitudes and culture of the 1950s with that of Northern West Australia outback. Thought provoking and though of it's time I find it had resonance today - none of us are perfect and we need to look to ourselves; to try and understand 'the other', before we point and criticise.

I do like Shute's writing. Straightforward, simply written, but with well drawn characters and evocative settings. I have a 13-strong bundle of his books on my bookshelf that I was given by a friend who downsized and got rid of most of her books - and Requiem for a Wren is there.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Read Dava Sobel's short and accessible account of the race to accurately determine longitude at sea. Excellent little book - easy to read and has told me all I probably need to know about John Harrison and his H1-H5 timepieces, and various Astronomer Royals of the 18th Century :)

Now for something completely different. It's probably going to be the rather mammoth 'Parade's End' by Ford Maddox Ford - been on my bookshelf for ages - time to take it down I think.

But as it's a 'big read' I think I'll also do some short reads at the same time, starting with Wind in the Willows - recently picked up from my local Oxfam and just one of these books I've never read but think I know - but I probably don't.

Last edited:

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site

I don't believe Australia will ever be a single 'integrated' nation as the 2 cultures (and cultural values) are so far apart/different - unlike what (I believe) has happened in NZ where both Maori and Pakeha are 'integrated and distinct'. It's like trying to integrate 2 different types of animals.
My late brother spent some time in Darwin (Northern Territory) and was horrified by both the attitude of Whites to Aborigines in that area and the apparent (cultural) misuse of facilities facilities provided to 'help' Aborigines. There have been some successes, especially in the sporting arena - Evonne Goolagong (elegance personified) probably being the most obvious - but there were some 'cultural' issues in her career too! Australian Rules is another sport where there has been a relatively high participation.

'Beyond the Black Stump' and 'A Town Called Alice' were class set books at High School and Banjo Paterson poetry was also studied - along with some Kiwi authors too. .

Last edited:

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I don't believe Australia will ever be a single 'integrated' nation as the 2 cultures (and cultural values) are so far apart/different - unlike what (I believe) has happened in NZ where both Maori and Pakeha are 'integrated and distinct'. It's like trying to integrate 2 different types of animals.
My late brother spent some time in Darwin (Northern Territory) and was horrified by both the attitude of Whites to Aborigines in that area and the apparent (cultural) misuse of facilities facilities provided to 'help' Aborigines. There have been some successes, especially in the sporting arena - Evonne Goolagong (elegance personified) probably being the most obvious - but there were some 'cultural' issues in her career too! Australian Rules is another sport where there has been a relatively high participation.

'Beyond the Black Stump' and 'A Town Called Alice' were class set books at High School and Banjo Paterson poetry was also studied - along with some Kiwi authors too. .
Yes - we could see that things were not great in Darwin....and a local lady very sympathetic to the Aboriginal community situation/plight and who showed us around the city explained the situation. But we could see it for ourselves in Coober Pedy and on the streets of Alice Springs - sad. And as you said so very different from our experience of the Maori in NZ. When we visited Waitangi and asked about the attitude of Paheka to Maori as it seemed that the Paheka community was proud of the distinct Maori community and it's cultures - our Maori guide pointed out that it's not perfect, but that they were a lot better off than the Aboriginal communities in Australia - as we subsequently witnessed.

Last edited:

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
We don't know what we're doing - Adrian Chiles. All about following WBA for a season.

VERY FUNNY !!!!!!! If you are a football fan and know what that entails.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Parade's End by Ford Maddox Ford. Half way through middle book of the Great War period trilogy. Excellent. Aiming to complete before Christmas so we can watch the 2012 BBC serialisation (it's on Netflix) over the festive break as I am sure that my Mrs will enjoy it.

Always an issue for me that. Read or Watch - or both - and if both what order? Less of an issue these days with so much available on 'catch-up'.

Tongo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Finished '1982 Brazil' a week or so ago, an excellent book on the 82 World Cup and that Brazil team. Somewhat apt bearing in mind Paolo Rossi's passing today.

Now reading a book on the glory years of the UEFA Cup. Very interesting and fascinating how open the European competitions were in the 70's and 80's.

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
I don't read books so much these days, can't concentrate long enough. It's a shame as I used to read books a lot. Was a very quick reader, known to read novels in a single day, but those days are long gone. I've been reading "A course called Ireland" since last December, and have probably read about 40 pages. However, I recently picked up "Bring me the head of Sergio Garcia", and am about halfway through it.

Tongo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I don't read books so much these days, can't concentrate long enough. It's a shame as I used to read books a lot. Was a very quick reader, known to read novels in a single day, but those days are long gone. I've been reading "A course called Ireland" since last December, and have probably read about 40 pages. However, I recently picked up "Bring me the head of Sergio Garcia", and am about halfway through it.

I've got a copy and read it a couple of times. Its well worth persevering with.

Paperboy

Mini Cam
Visit site
I've been droning on about Dune on here for a bit as I read through the original series and later conclusion. (Nearly finished now - halfway through the last book)

Anyway, if anyone is interested, the first book is available for 99p on the kindle daily deals today (only). Well worth a read if you like scifi and have never read it.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Dune-Sequence-Book-1-ebook/dp/B004KA9UXO/ref=lp_5400977031_1_1

Will be re reading the first book, next year before the new film comes out!

toyboy54

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Kaz; thanks for jogging the memory about DUNE(been meaning to get for ages)!
Anyhow,the wonderful SWMBO has just had it put on my Kindle(assuming it's an extra Chrissie pressie-along with the OUUL bag and the course of lessons with Craig)
Oh yeah,did I mention that she bought me a car(to ferry her around-although she has a licence).
What a woman-she makes a great Mrs.Santa!!
Festive wishes to all and fingers X'd for 2021.....Tak Tent one and all!!!!!
Jimbo