Books - what are you reading just now?

• Thread starter Deleted Member 1156
  • Start date

SaintHacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I've been droning on about Dune on here for a bit as I read through the original series and later conclusion. (Nearly finished now - halfway through the last book)

Anyway, if anyone is interested, the first book is available for 99p on the kindle daily deals today (only). Well worth a read if you like scifi and have never read it.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Dune-Sequence-Book-1-ebook/dp/B004KA9UXO/ref=lp_5400977031_1_1

I got the set of the first 4 books for xmas, that'll keep me occupied until the film comes out!

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I got the set of the first 4 books for xmas, that'll keep me occupied until the film comes out!
Maybe it's just me, but i found the first one a distance better than the subsequent ones. I thought it was brilliant.
I read them in my late teens, and had never really encountered sci fi lit before. Maybe that meant that the rest never had a chance.
I'm curious about the film, and will try to catch it in a proper cinema.

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Having just reread the series I completely agree with this. The first one is definitely the standout probably because it's the closest to a classic character-led narrative/adventure story. Subsequently it's more about grandiose themes; religion, evolution, terraforming, politics. Still well written and very readable but often leaning on the brilliance of the first book.

What surprised me this time (I've read Dune a few times but not for many years before now) was how abruptly the story gets wrapped up. To much of it seems a tad "convenient" just to get to a conclusion. If I'd noticed that previously I didn't remember.
Funnily enough, there are a couple of philosophical themes that seem to have proved quite prescient (swidt;-). The rejection of computers to preserve the status of humanity, and (iirc) the idea that producing a human whose actions cannot be traced/predicted is AGoodThing. At the moment, we seem hell bent on the opposite, thanjs to the warm bath of big tech enveloping us...
I suspect these are common themes across the sci fi gender, but I've never explored any further.

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Hitchhiker’s guide to the galaxy
Also read this when it came out. I was in 6 form iirc. I guess the references to the hitch hikers guide to Europe are slightly lost on today's youth. I had a battered copy with me back in the day. Fortunately, it turned out that quite a lot of the continent was mostly harmless.
At the time, I had no idea that radio4 existed, let alone that it did comedy series.
Douglas Adams's untimely demise is/was a great loss.
** edit - for clarity, i had a battered copy of each of them

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
The Sentinel, the latest Lee Childs / Jack Reacher book. Except........this time Lee's brother wrote it with Lee overlooking. You can tell, it doesn't run as smoothly, the words are wrong. The basics are there but it is not the same. Disappointing

I know these books have become samey and repetitive but they are easy to fall into and read.

larmen

Head Pro
Visit site
The Sentinel, the latest Lee Childs / Jack Reacher book. Except........this time Lee's brother wrote it with Lee overlooking. You can tell, it doesn't run as smoothly, the words are wrong. The basics are there but it is not the same. Disappointing

I know these books have become samey and repetitive but they are easy to fall into and read.
I miss commuting. Just can’t get around reading at home, and I like Reacher and books like that ;-(

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
A Wilbur Smith and Bernard Cornwell fan here. Catching up/filling in the gaps in WS tales and continuing BC's tales of Uhtred. Also his sailing adventures for a bit of relief from 'fate is inexorable'!

AliMc

Visit site
A song for the dark times, the latest Rebus story by Ian Rankin. When I worked in the City of Edinburgh Council our new office was built in the Waverley station car park, over a couple of days they were filming a scene for the tv at the side of the tracks, quite funny watching Ken Stott and the girl who played his colleague Siobhan going through the same scene 3 or 4 times then waving to the folk on the intercity 125 as they went back to the start again, interesting to eventually see it on screen

toyboy54

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
A song for the dark times, the latest Rebus story by Ian Rankin. When I worked in the City of Edinburgh Council our new office was built in the Waverley station car park, over a couple of days they were filming a scene for the tv at the side of the tracks, quite funny watching Ken Stott and the girl who played his colleague Siobhan going through the same scene 3 or 4 times then waving to the folk on the intercity 125 as they went back to the start again, interesting to eventually see it on screen

AliMc:On a side note'have 5 episodes taped(?) thank the lord that it's Ken Stott and not John Hannah playing the part.K.S.is so much more in keeping with the book/character.-I think he has that certain grittiness/upyours attitude that make the books so riveting-think we have them all in both hard and paperback.Always seem to go back and start them again;all great reads!
I'm also halfway through DUNE but whilst the language is quite evocative,I'm finding it hard to really believe in both the premis and the characters--reminds me of ploughing through Asimov in school+ another sci-fi writer(who's name escapes me)for size and scale.
Jimbo

AliMc

Visit site
AliMc:On a side note'have 5 episodes taped(?) thank the lord that it's Ken Stott and not John Hannah playing the part.K.S.is so much more in keeping with the book/character.-I think he has that certain grittiness/upyours attitude that make the books so riveting-think we have them all in both hard and paperback.Always seem to go back and start them again;all great reads!
I'm also halfway through DUNE but whilst the language is quite evocative,I'm finding it hard to really believe in both the premis and the characters--reminds me of ploughing through Asimov in school+ another sci-fi writer(who's name escapes me)for size and scale.
Jimbo
Yeah I agree Ken Stott is great as Rebus, I just love the books, have them all I think, helps that it's mostly set in Edinburgh and I travelled there for most of my 42 years working life so can visualise most of the locations used, just picture KS when I'm reading them. Same as you I think I have read them all twice !

toyboy54

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Al...can beat you on the re-reading front--it's actually/easily 5or6 for each book and now about to re-start on Tom Sharpes mental/racist series of craziness across different fronts/characters!
Also,can anyone of all you cleverclogs scratch an annoying itch for me and tell me what are the series of books/author where it's a space fleet(future)based in BOISE/Idaho-U.S.A.where everything seemed to be on a huge scale,battling aliens etc;(escapism at college to blame for this-but am sure it was'nt ASIMOV??)---Really don't want to read-just want to remember how I wasted my time dreaming I was a star soldier.---------thanks folks=sorry KAZ but ploughing through DUNE and cannot decide if enjoyable or not!
May go and listen to Barack Obamas recollections on the BBC Sounds app on the pc-seems a thoroughly decent man-Tam and Stuart Off The Ball coming through the telly,love it,talking best goals scored in Scotland over the years--could mention a few?
Jimbo

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Well. Finished Parade‘s End yesterday. Actually four books in one (If 3 books is a trilogy what’s 4...a quartet I believe?) Anyway - took me two months...

A very long and not that easy read as written in a modernist way with much being streams of consciousness of the characters. And just like us, their thinking jumps backwards and forwards in time from past to present and gets intertwined so you have to keep on top of things.

Nonetheless it is totally absorbing and you really get to feel you understand the characters as you get to know how they think. So if you are at all interested in the life of the aristocracy in the ten years from about 1910 to 1920 - through and in the Great War - it can’t be bettered. It’s basically a love triangle story. But Bridgerton it isn’t ?. Recommended if you have the time and inclination.

Something simpler and quicker now. The Wind in the Willows.

Last edited: