Books - what are you reading just now?

• Thread starter Deleted Member 1156
  • Start date

toyboy54

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Just finished Shuggie Bain by Douglas Stuart.

A tough and uncompromising story of poverty, abuse and alcohol addiction in Glasgow of the 1970s and 1980s, but one also of love, despair and struggle in a Glasgow I’ve always been aware of but never really known; a Glasgow I could see as I grew up in the city and occasionally touched on, but fortunately never dropped into through circumstance or misfortune.

A very insightful and thought provoking read.
Hmmmm,a good critique there SILH, I've had an email from the local authority inviting me to avail myself of their 'order and collect scheme',think I'll try booking this one and see if they have it/will also try for 'The Young Team'-set in Airdrie-heard on the radio that it's going to go on the box,but would like to check it out 1st.

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site

A tough and uncompromising story of poverty, abuse and alcohol addiction in Glasgow of the 1970s and 1980s, but one also of love, despair and struggle in a Glasgow I’ve always been aware of but never really known; a Glasgow I could see as I grew up in the city and occasionally touched on, but fortunately never dropped into through circumstance or misfortune.

Interesting. My fourball/foursomes partner mentioned this book a couple of weeks ago. This post reminds me i was was going to check it out.

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site

Coincidentally I also finished this last week. A pretty grim read but well written and engaging. It would seem it's autobiographical to a degree judging by the author's comments at the back of the book.

D

Deleted member 1147

Just finished Children of Men, by PD James

Can’t decide on my next one ?

tugglesf239

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Just started Bloods a Rover by James Ellroy

If it’s half as good as it’s predecessor’s American Tabloid and the cold six thousand, then I’ll be happy.

Swinglowandslow

Visit site
Getting towards the end of " The heart of the Game " by Jimmy Greaves.
Some really good stories in there. He has a view of football that I share.
I used to play it and watch it a lot when younger, but now I find it's values and standards a shadow of what they were.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Coincidentally I also finished this last week. A pretty grim read but well written and engaging. It would seem it's autobiographical to a degree judging by the author's comments at the back of the book.
I had a quick double take of the title when I first heard the book talked of, as a Hugh Bain was our coal merchant back in the day ?

On a lighter note I enjoyed the book reacquainting me with many Glaswegian words and phrases that I had dropped using over the time since moving south nearly 40yrs ago.

Now reading The Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver...

And so here’s a related question. Other than Jane Austen, Daphne du Maurier and George Elliot, what female authors have you read? Why not? @JamesR need not answer that second part ?

Last edited:

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I had a quick double take of the title when I first heard the book talked of, as a Hugh Bain was our coal merchant back in the day ?

On a lighter note I enjoyed the book reacquainting me with many Glaswegian words and phrases that I had dropped using over the time since moving south nearly 40yrs ago.

And so here’s a related question. Other than Jane Austen, Daphne du Maurier and George Elliot, what female authors have you read? Why not? @JamesR need not answer that second part ?

Not many.

Hilary Mantel - the 3 Wolf Hall books and The Giant O'Brien which I loved. Patricia Highsmith, read a couple of the Ripley books. Read a lot of Dorothy L Sayers and Agatha Christie as a kid.

Why not? - female authors do seem woefully under-represented, and I have no interest in chick-lit / romance-type stuff as a subject matter.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Ian Rankin, Black & Blue. Another in the Rebus series. A good book, lots to get your teeth into.

I tend to like Tom Thorne, Mark Billingham series, ahead of Rebus but they are both a good read.

Fade and Die

Medal Winner
Visit site

Read all Becky Chambers books. Enjoyable sci-fi that’s more character driven than tech focused.

Jb Hopkins

Visit site
Currently reading "Glorious Gentlemen" by Bruce Sandison, tales from Stalkers, Gillies and Keepers.

Also just finished reading his other book Angling lines.

Last edited:

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Just finished Welcome to Nowhere by Caimh McDonnell.

He's an Irish novelist whose speciality is crime thrillers with a humorous twist. I must have read 6 or 7 of his books over the last year, they are very enjoyable and tend to be free if you've got Kindle Unlimited. The one above is also free if you've got Amazon Prime.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Mind Games: The Ups and Downs of Life and Football by Neville Southall

Not the normal book you would expect from an "ex footballer" (sorry Nev!) but an intriguing read

SatchFan

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Having discovered an extra feature on my car I'm currently reading the rest of the BMW Owners Handbook. And yes, I have already covered the bit on how to use your optional extra indicators.

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Should we put ‘allegedly’...?

Having lived in Newmarket at the height of Dick's fame as an author........you may say that but I could not possibly comment. ;)
A signed copy of his/her latest was always a well received Christmas gift for the MiL,
I think she ended up with about 15 of them. Some via the local charity shop.

Shock horror.......Newmarket actually had a charity shop in the 1980's

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 1147

Just read Fatherland by Robert Harris
About to start The Dubliners by James Joyce

D

Deleted member 1147

James.....would you say Fatherland is worth reading??
Yes I really enjoyed it. It was much better than the film.
It’s not as good as Le Carre, who’s my favourite author, but well worth the read (Better than SSGB as a post German winning the war story)

Last edited by a moderator: