bone dry yellow fairways

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
This is the first time in my 10 years as a member of a golf club I have ever seen it so dry.

Especially here in Ireland. I spent 4 years of this time in Liverpool and noted how dry it could get there in the summer but this is something else.

I am enjoying seeing and playing the courses in these conditions. The rains will be with us again so for now I will enjoy the parched land and how different everything looks.

Has anyone got some photos of their course to see how different it currently looks. The more scorched the better.

CliveW

Tour Winner
Visit site
Last week I played at Monifeith, just a few miles along the coast from Carnoustie, and the fairways were burnt to a frazzle and running for miles. Hoping Carnoustie would be the same for the Open, I checked on their webcam and it appears that they have been watering like mad.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
We're exactly the opposite at The Zoo...
In a huge bowl of clay, it retains a lot of water so our fairways are still pretty green.
Downside is that it gets very wet in winter....

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
For those not on twitter, end of April, May and a couple of days ago at the end of June.

downside for them no irrigation system. They had it like this about 3 or 4 years ago and lost the fairways.

Playing Golspie later will take some of there if i remember.

Nairn had gotten very white, but we have had the sprinklers on every night for the last week.

http://217.155.198.132/view/viewer_index.shtml

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
downside for them no irrigation system. They had it like this about 3 or 4 years ago and lost the fairways.

Playing Golspie later will take some of there if i remember.

Nairn had gotten very white, but we have had the sprinklers on every night for the last week.

http://217.155.198.132/view/viewer_index.shtml

Just clicked on live view. Lovely weather today, Still lots of green where it counts

Two things though:
Guy with burgundy trousers and pink polo... Just no!
Why do you have a stuffed deer on the practice green?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Yeah the courses I've played have been the same. No rain for a couple of weeks really. It's certainly interesting and different. Shame I haven't hit a single decent drive in that time to take advantage of the extra roll. :rofl:

huds1475

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Not great for greenkeepers.

Working late nights to water greens just to stop them from dying off. Ours are on quite an extreme shift rota.

Not that anyone thinks to thank them for it, much easier to moan about something.

Carpfather1

Head Pro
Visit site
My local parkland where I’m a member is looking baked and brown never seen it like it before down there and my old club which was a links a couple of miles away is looking pretty much like the pictures shown already they got the home internationals coming up on it soon so they must be panicking.Two friends of mine who are still members said it’s horrendous down there at the moment being so dry .

D

Deleted member 15717

We are a sand based course with no fairway irrigation. The greens are an oasis at the end of a yellow track. If you can keep it straight, you are fairly alright, as it will bound down the fairway. Any amount of side spin will see the ball turn sideways into rough/gorse/heather/bushes so it can be a real challenge to score well. It definitely sorts out the decent ball strikers from the rest!

This is the only picture I can really find, taken about a week ago, and you can just about see the yellowness. Our first is a par 3, so hides it relatively well!

TGC.jpg

Coffey

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Played Donaghadee on Sunday and a number of holes were very similar.

The 13th? par 3 looked absolutely amazing with the bunkers and brown grass all around it.

The 10th which is 410 yard par 4 was a drive and a 70 yard wedge onto the green (which went over the back) - the ball ran and ran and ran. I played that hole in the winter (albeit into the wind) from the yellows and it was Driver, 3 iron.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Going to the pro am at ballyliffin tomorrow. Cant wait to see the pros handle the firm ground.

Most years its soaking and the pros are zipping the ball back 10 feet. I dont think they will be at that this year. Lol.

FuzzyDuck

Assistant Pro
Visit site
In a huge bowl of clay, it retains a lot of water so our fairways are still pretty green.
Downside is that it gets very wet in winter....
That would explain why my club (Bishopswood) is still relatively green. In contrast I went to Moors Valley last week and apart from the greens there was not a green blade of grass to be seen.