bone dry yellow fairways

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
Going to the pro am at ballyliffin tomorrow. Cant wait to see the pros handle the firm ground.

Most years its soaking and the pros are zipping the ball back 10 feet. I dont think they will be at that this year. Lol.

Word on the street is that they have been told to not embarrass the players... wheres the fun in that?

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I shot a 67 [-2] in a mid week medal in those conditions in 1976.

Clubs in my wee carry bag were [no woods] 2,4,6,8,9,w,si and putter.
I just clung on to the fringe of the uphill 500 yard par 5 with 2 iron x 6 iron.
Half an ounce less and it would have ran back to my feet

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Word on the street is that they have been told to not embarrass the players... wheres the fun in that?

I'd say the scoring will likely be low as the wind just isn't there at all. I'm not sure what the rough in like around the glashedy. I haven't been around it in a while.

Dasit

Tour Rookie
Visit site
greens are looking super lush at my course, they hand water them daily.

Fairways are dry as they come

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Just clicked on live view. Lovely weather today, Still lots of green where it counts

Two things though:
Guy with burgundy trousers and pink polo... Just no!
Why do you have a stuffed deer on the practice green?

Had sprinklers on greens and tee's the last week

They are bronze, a gift to the club from the artist i think

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Played Celtic Manor 2010 yesterday, and Montgomery today. Very fiery. Hard to hold the fairways, and the deep stuff is punishing.

On the Montgomery, I went through the back of a 340 yard par 4 by about 30 yards. Rock hard fairways, and downhill. Nice bogey.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
A barren wasteland tee to green at my place with deep penal rough starting to make it very tight in places. Greens still very green and watered daily and putting like a dream. Some very fiery bounces and I've regressed to my junior days at Wimbledon Common and back to playing pitch and runs from 70-100 yards with some aplomb. Getting a few weird looks from PP's pulling mid irons out but once they see the results funny how a few a then trying the same thing later in the round.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Some great photos. we can look at them again when the courses are back under water and a mucky swamp.

We spiked and sanded our greens last week. With no rain to wash them they have been rubbish to putt on. No idea why they did it. haven't played our course in a little while so hope its improved since the last day.

mashleyR7

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I’ve not been down littlestone for a few weeks but can only imagine it’s burnt to a crisp and will be like driving down a runway.
Played a course Sunday in an open which is a hill top course, soaked in the winter, but their irrigation system is broke so it’s currently playing like a hilly links. Chap who I played with, who won by 10shots, putted from 140 yards away from the flag on some holes!!!

casuk

Head Pro
Visit site
Mine is just starting to get quite bad over the weekend, its seen a lot of play lately grenns are still great but fairways and tee boxes need a good soak

Jamesbrown

Head Pro
Visit site
Greens and fairways are okay as they have sprinklers. Our clay course is still greenish. Our sand based course is dead. Almost white.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Played Windlesham today - really warm/hot with a wind into the bargain - fairways scorched dry as a bone and yellow. I found it really hard - club sole bouncing off rock hard fairways. Ball rocketing all over the place if off line but running absolutely miles as there is nothing on the fairways to stop it.. Nothing the club can do. But greens were fine - still enjoyed my day. Seems a nice club. But boy. Hope the fairways can recover at least fairly quickly.

Last edited:

chellie

Tour Winner
Visit site
DhMayWJXkAECY3X.jpg