BMW PGA Championship

stevelev

Journeyman Pro
www.ecclestonparkgolf.co.uk
Well done Manassero!!!!!!!!

However, what do other people think of the TV coverage and commentary of the golf this weekend. Are we losing touch in the UK how to offer good coverage and commentary. The quality of the commentary was dire, Mark Roe the usual culprit (Wow does he grate) Also there was no atmosphere whatsoever felt on TV as with the previous years or other comps.

I have honestly enjoyed watching the Challenge Tour comp and Shells wonderful world of golf more than this weekends golf. We cant blame the golfers as they just do the same week in week out.

Is it just me or do others think it was all a bit FLAT.

And what is with the Beeb not getting coverage of a flagship UK event

bozza

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I was there on Sunday from when Olazabal teed off first until the last group finished and the atmosphere was really good.

I think it's because the fans over here are more respectful and you don't get idiots shouting "get in the hole!" after every shot.

If i remember right a couple of players tweeted yesterday how much they like the fans over here as they create a good atmosphere but are also well behaved.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Coverage fine by me.

I can take or leave Mark Roe. Bit too much of an ego - even compared to Denis Pugh and Andrew Coltard.

BBC policy prevents them from chasing sports. Sky's license prevents them from grabbing everything - as certain 'crown jewels', including The Open must be available on terrestrial.

P2P works well!

HawkeyeMS

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
The atmosphere at Wentworth is great. The crowd appreciate good shots and don't just cheer and shout like every shot is the best shot on earth when the player has hooked it in the clag. The right level of appreciation is given based on the shot that has been played, just how it should be.

I agree that Mark Roe is rubbish though

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I liked the coverage and think Sky has been good for the viewer. Yes Roe can divide opinion, but so can Monty and others and I actually don't mind any of the commentators. Aside from a bit of the Masters and the Open there is no golf on BBC so its a bit of hobson's choice if you want to watch anything on TV.

stevelev

Journeyman Pro
www.ecclestonparkgolf.co.uk
I was there on Sunday from when Olazabal teed off first until the last group finished and the atmosphere was really good.

I think it's because the fans over here are more respectful and you don't get idiots shouting "get in the hole!" after every shot.

If i remember right a couple of players tweeted yesterday how much they like the fans over here as they create a good atmosphere but are also well behaved.

I hate the shouts of the american louts, that really puts me of watching the golf with the sound on sometimes. But what I saw and felt on the TV certainly wasnt what the fans watching in person or the golfers experienced. I know it will never compare, but the Beeb need to sort their act out, and Sky need to get shut of Roe.

All my opinion, of course

User 105

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I was there yesterday as well. Fantastic day and great atmosphere. Shame there weren't a few more big names over the weekend but I don't think it detracted from the spectacle.

My only grip is people bringing in babies. We were standing by the 17th tee and this guy had what must have been a 6 month old screaming it's head of while the players were trying to teeing off. There was also one in the 18th stands screaming coming towards the last groups coming in.

Camera's not aloud in case they put players off but screaming kid is ok ?

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
I'm watching it now on Sky+.

So far so good. I don't mind Mark Roe but, for some reason, find Radar a little annoying up to yet.

The one thing I will say is it's nice to see the pro's shouting fore after a wayward shot.

HawkeyeMS

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I'm watching it now on Sky+.

So far so good. I don't mind Mark Roe but, for some reason, find Radar a little annoying up to yet.

The one thing I will say is it's nice to see the pro's shouting fore after a wayward shot.

Maybe in America thy actually want to hurt the idiots who shout all the time?

Golfmmad

Tour Winner
Visit site
I was there on Saturday and what I thought good about the crowds, was their respect for all players after putting out, they all got decent applause, especially after a good chip in or birdie putt. Noticed too, that when the Marshalls held their arms up for crowds to stay still and quiet, it was well observed. Unlike over the pond where there are always people milling about in the background, sometimes quite close to the players - must put them off a bit!

Wherever you were and whoever you were watching, there was always a great atmosphere.

I also think that Wentworth is a stunning golf course and a fantastic venue for any golf tournament.

Ryder Cup anyone? :fore:

painterboy

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Was there Sunday, great event, BMW are great sponsors possibly the best, magnificent course but unfortunately lacks viewing space for the Ryder Cup.
Manessaro showed some nerve and is getting longer off the tee and hopefully will be good enough for the Ryder cup.

As an aside must complement Justin Rose who had a indifferent tournament and for the holes I saw him play was struggling a little but after finishing his duties signing his card spent the best part of 20 minutes signing his autograph and posing for photographs and making sure the 'photographer' had got the picture.

MashieNiblick

Tour Winner
Visit site
Coverage fine by me.

BBC policy prevents them from chasing sports. Sky's license prevents them from grabbing everything - as certain 'crown jewels', including The Open must be available on terrestrial.

I think the Open is on the so called "B list" which only requires highlights to be available on terrestrial TV.

The beebs current deal lasts untl 2016. Personally I think it's ony a matter of time until Sky grabs it.

There was some discussion about this last year after Peter Dawson raised the issue.

http://forums.golf-monthly.co.uk/showthread.php?39387-BBC-to-lose-Open!

D

Deleted member 1418

Thought the coverage was fine. The problem Sky have is with some of the commentary team IMO - Bruce Critchley and Ewen Murray bore the pants off me, whilst Mark Roe is up his own backside. Like Riley and Boxall though. Would've been good if they'd got some pro's in the commentary box after they had completed their rounds.

Re. Wentworth, anyone else think that Ernie' s changes are starting to bed in nicely now? Thought the course offered great opportunities to post a good score whilst punishing mistakes.