Bloody car dealers!

Basher

Tour Winner
yorkshiregolf.proboards.com
The daughter bought a car (used) from a large local dealer around a month ago. When she bought it she noticed the service light (spanner type thing) was showing on the display.
She contacted the garage to ask if it could be taken off. They dawdled and eventually gave her a date for her to bring the car in (for the bloody day!) to turn it off.
I took it down for her this morning to drop the car off.

They had no notice of the car being due in! Got that sorted and left the car outside the service dept door.

Mid afternoon, daughter rings me at work to tell me she had rung to see if the car was ready, only to be told they knew nothing about it!
They didn't even know that the car was on site (I'd signed to confirm this) Bloody hell!!! If they'd stepped outside, they'd have bloody well walked into it!
They then told her to come down in an hour as it should be ready then.
She arrives at the garage to see the car being driven into the service area by a mechanic. The guy on the service desk said she may as well sit down and wait.
Job sorted within 5 minutes, the service guy appears to tell her the car would need to be booked in for 2 new rear tyres!

A bit strange considering the car was supposedly given a full service prior to purchasing the car. Something tells me the car was not serviced at all.

Not at all happy. :mad:

I now have to go back to the garage so I can take the daughter home after dropping off the car. The tyres will be fitted FOC

Surely a well known dealership can not sell a car with obviously worn out tyres.

How do I stand regarding getting some sort of satisfaction from the garage. I'm bloody livid and at the moment feel like dragging the chuffing service manager over the counter tomorrow morning!!!

Mark_G

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Most Main Dealers (mine included) have a minimum tyre tread depth on a sales vehicle of 3mm, any less and the tyre gets replaced before sale. If you do seriously doubt if the service was carried out, speak to the Sales Manager and Service Manager, and ask for reassurance that the service and used car inspection had been completed. This can easily be supplied, even if its just an invoice from the Service to the Sales departments. Most large dealerships use one of two motor trade computer systems and neither can have back dated invoices entered so they are reasonable proof of work being carried out. Alternatively ask for the work to be carried out again. Dont get angry, always be reasonable, but be persistent.

Basher

Tour Winner
yorkshiregolf.proboards.com
speak to the Sales Manager and Service Manager, and ask for reassurance that the service and used car inspection had been completed.

Thanks for the reply Mark.
Would it be safe to say I have them banged to rights. Either way, they have dropped a major sphere.
If they say the car has been serviced, then the tyres should have shown up as requiring renewal during the said service.
Alternatively, if he says that the vehicle has NOT been serviced, then surely they are liable, considering they stamped the service book.

Mark_G

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
From what you say, it does seem that something may have gone wrong with the preparation of the car. Let the dealer have a chance to correct the problem, if it isn't corrected, then mention trading standards, and see if this focus's the managers minds. Most likely though is that the situation has come about due to internal communication problems within the dealership, and will be sorted quickly.