BLM protests/ Riots.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
So now Swing Low is in the firing line.
It has been previously. I'm pleased to say rugby fans ignored the objections last time and will likely do the same now as well. Especially so as there is no rugby at the moment, the objections are effectively being fired at a blank space. A song is not owned by any one group, anyone can sing it.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I don't think they are going to repair it. It'll be put on display in a museum that will tell the story of Colston, slavery, Bristol, up to and including what happened to the statue and why. Fixing it and removing the graffiti would be erasing our history, wouldn't it?

So I can vandalise anything, and add grafiti to anything I want to, and it should be left there as it's history? Not sure about that. It would be a pretty ugly, damaged, and painted up world.

huds1475

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
So I can vandalise anything, and add grafiti to anything I want to, and it should be left there as it's history? Not sure about that. It would be a pretty ugly, damaged, and painted up world.
I think Karen was referring, with either ironic or humourous intent, to the view that statues shouldn't be pulled down by random vigilantes as they can teach us about our past.

Something a black history chap, from that there Liverpool, spoke quite eloquently about on the news last night.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I know it divides opinion but, like it or not, what happened to that statue was not simple vandalism. Erecting monuments to slavers is history but so is tearing them down.

Daubing a wall with "Kaz woz 'ere" on the other hand is probably not historic. Unless I ever amount to something, which looks less likely every day. Plus only I would use apostrophes in graffiti.

Sure, but what offends someone can only be qualified by them. So if they decide something is offensive, it is, and clearly they can vandalise it as they see fit. Everything is history, after all.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I remember looking at this grave in Henbury Church yard in Bristol as a boy. It's the grave of the last slave in the UK named Scippio Africanus on the stone. It seemed a historic monument to me then and made me reflect on the lives of Black people in the past and how horrible slavery was. What do we think, should it be left or removed, I think it should stay so people can look at it and reflect as I did.
1200px-Scipio_Africanus_grave.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.