Blew It

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I played in the last of our midweek medals yesterday, in the worst wind we've had all year. It's the only competition during the usual golfing season that I ever remember being reductions only!

There's only 2 prizes for this comp, a best nett and best gross. I won the gross prize with an 80 and missed out on the nett prize by 1, the winning score being nett 73 (par 72).

That's not what I'm annoyed at blowing. I'm annoyed that it might be my last chance of making cat1 until next April. I played the front 9 in 37 (+1), then bogeyed 5 holes in a row - 3 of them due to 3 putting - before steadying the ship a little until the last which was another 3 putt bogey.

So I shot 80, including 4 x 3-putts on the back 9, when 78 would have seen me get cut to 5.4

:angry:

Why is it than you can scramble like a good 'un for a decent stretch of holes, but then as soon as you let one silly one slip away you can't stop the bleeding and turn into a bogey machine?

rickg

Money List Winner
Visit site
Talk about deja Vu gary!!...Ishook hands with CAT 1 today for 13 holes and then it slapped me in the face and rewarded me with a 0.1 increase.

Same as you....1 over gross after 9 ( I was 1 under after 6)....still only 2 over after 13..........couldnt help thinking...here it comes....CAT 1, win the Gary bet, score heaps of HDID Order of merit points...................

step up to the 14th, a par 3 playing 175 uphill, and promptly shank a 6 iron..:eek:.....worse to come....couldn't find it so played another off the tee and pulled it........walked off with a 6.......2 over to 5 over in one foul swoop.......

OK...steady the ship....6 will get adjusted to 5 on the stableford adjustment..........can still make CAT 1.....next hole.....double bogey....next hole, bogey....next....bogey......last hole...bogey......wtf!!!!

I'm sat here at work still not knowing what happened and how 1 shot ruined an entire round.........

unlike you, I've still got more chances this year, but I wont get many better opportunities than today to join that elite clan.........:mad:

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Welcome to my World.
Started disgracefully today.
5 over after 6, including a lost ball on the par 3 2nd hole - we both saw it bounce in the rough but it just disappeared.
Played the next 12 in level par to hopefully make buffer unless css screws me.
1st 6 holes I played like a 18 handicapper, the next 12 like scratch.
So frustrating.........

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
unlike you, I've still got more chances this year, but I wont get many better opportunities than today to join that elite clan.........:mad:

I've got captains day in a couple of weeks, then the comp for comp winners through the year. Not sure if I'm in that though as I don't know if division winners and/or pairs comps are included.

So either 1 or 2 chances left, unless the lobbying for winter qualifiers has had any effect!

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
have you run a poll here, or elsewhere, asking players if a club providing winter Q comps would influence their choice regarding membership?

Not here no. I know a few people at the club have been talking about it though.

I sent about a dozen emails off to other clubs locally earlier in the year when I was thinking about moving, and that was one of the main questions, along with wanting to know if competition tee times were drawn.

Evesdad

Tour Winner
Visit site
Pretty sire we have winter qualifiers and our comps are not drawn if that helps?

And yes it was bloody windy yesterday as popped out for a quick practice nine yesterday!

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Not here no. I know a few people at the club have been talking about it though.

I sent about a dozen emails off to other clubs locally earlier in the year when I was thinking about moving, and that was one of the main questions, along with wanting to know if competition tee times were drawn.

it was certainly a key element in my last decision. in fairness it goes hand in hand with the general condition of the course over winter but many could work better with the greenstaff to run more Q comps when the conditions permit.

MashieNiblick

Tour Winner
Visit site
That's hard luck but you've had a great season whatever.

Just a thought about how your course is laid out. Do the front and back 9 play about the same?

On ours the front 9 is definitely easier. It's about 300 yards shorter than the back 9 with 3 short par 4's. Back 9 is tough and 6 the last 9 are often played into the wind. Can be a hard slog especially as by then the concentration and energy levels might be on the wane.

Just looking at the scores for the 2 nines and seeing I was 2,3 or 4 over the front 9 and only ended up in the BZ, I often used to feel that I had blown a good card but I've come to realise that's just how the course plays.

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
it was certainly a key element in my last decision. in fairness it goes hand in hand with the general condition of the course over winter but many could work better with the greenstaff to run more Q comps when the conditions permit.

Last "closed season" I played 47 qualifiers - Oct 9, Nov 6, Dec 8, Jan 10, Feb 5, March 9 - all drawn. I agree with Duncan - If there's a will, there's a way.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
You'll get there Gary. It maybe when you're least expecting it, e.g. you post a score that you think is almost good enough and then it turns out everyone struggled and CSS is higher than you thought.

Winter Qualifiers; we have them but I don't suppose you want to travel all the way up north. If the winter comp scores aren't silly high it would suggest the course is good enough to hold winter qualifiers. Even on bad weather days its possible to get a cut but not get 0.1 back. I think some comp committees don't run them because "we've never run winter comps," and some don't run them because after a summer of being in the club almost every Saturday night, and some Sunday's, they want the break.

Why not get together with those that want winter qualifiers and ask the club if they'll let you run some winter qualifiers. The commitment might only be once or twice a month...

rickg

Money List Winner
Visit site
phew....just had the result in from yesterday and everyone struggled it seems, the best nett score being 73 against a par of 71 so the CSS went up to 72. This means I managed to buffer and no 0.1 increase as I had originally feared.

Just looked at my scorecard again.....1 over after 12 and then 9 shots dropped in the last 6 holes..........scarey!!

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
phew....just had the result in from yesterday and everyone struggled it seems, the best nett score being 73 against a par of 71 so the CSS went up to 72. This means I managed to buffer and no 0.1 increase as I had originally feared.

Just looked at my scorecard again.....1 over after 12 and then 9 shots dropped in the last 6 holes..........scarey!!

having shot 37/49 in our masters at the beginning of the month I was determined to 'get further' before the wheels fell off in the next weeks comp.....so I got to the 17th tee 2 over and was 5 over on the 18th tee (and finish)! - a cut but no real progress.

singles final Monday (seniors) - dormie 6; and took another 5 holes to close it out!

yes we have a very very tough last 8 holes but, like your shanked 6 iron, it's brain fades rather than capability that's doing this!!!

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
That's hard luck but you've had a great season whatever.

Just a thought about how your course is laid out. Do the front and back 9 play about the same?

On ours the front 9 is definitely easier. It's about 300 yards shorter than the back 9 with 3 short par 4's. Back 9 is tough and 6 the last 9 are often played into the wind. Can be a hard slog especially as by then the concentration and energy levels might be on the wane.

Just looking at the scores for the 2 nines and seeing I was 2,3 or 4 over the front 9 and only ended up in the BZ, I often used to feel that I had blown a good card but I've come to realise that's just how the course plays.

Most people say our back 9 is the harder 9, but I usually score better on the back. Times I've blown all my shots on the front and still managed buffer.

It's strange because I'd say the back 9 was tighter, and I'm not renowned for my straight driving! :D

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Just thinking about whether I really want winter Q's now...

Our SSS from the whites has just been reassessed to 71, and if the yellows have been adjusted as well I'll have to shoot 74 (par 72, approx 6,400yds) just to get a 0.2 cut! :eek: