Bladed irons & the higher h/cap

la_lucha

Tour Rookie
Visit site
We play for fun, so ultimately just do what gives you the most enjoyment.

For the life of me though, I fail to see why anyone would expect to score better with equipment that's less forgiving.

As regards practicing more to improve, I only have a limited amount of time to practice and I think that it's most productively spent getting drives straighter and making sure that the short game/putting are functioning. If I have to spend longer practicing iron striking, I spend less on what I consider the more important parts of the game.

Interesting question, but with GI Irons there is some input from the user and some input from the club. I've just stopped using a set of Mizzie GI Irons because they wouldn't go where I wanted them to and there was literally no feel. All Irons down to the 6 I could put what I consider my usual shape on (a small draw) but the 4/5 Irons went the other way. I could set up for a huge draw and still put a small fade on the things, there was no feel and no control. I have just recently swapped to some "players" Irons and I have been able to identify any swing faults or reasons for mi***** because the club is not trying to compensate for me. This allows me in turn to identify problems and correct them. In the 4/5 rounds that I have had the clubs I have improved by 7-10 shots. I was playing well over my handicap as I had lost all confidence and control with the GI Irons.

So this poses another question, Do GI Irons stop a player from improving by masking swing faults?

PuttPuttSteve

Assistant Pro
Visit site
My biggest H/C drop (17 down to 13 a few years ago) came after I bought a second-hand set of blades to practise with. I think they were Mizuno MP33. I loved the feeling when I caught one right out of the centre, but they were a bit too uncompromising to play with full-time so I bought a set of MP60 irons as my playing set. These were purchased new and were custom fitted at the Mizuno centre in Surrey.

I would definitely recommend the fitting as, like the OP, I hit the ball too high so the club lofts were adjusted to compensate.

Go for the blades (or 'muscle-backs' or 'players clubs') and enjoy!

ruff-driver

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Talk about being 'economical with the truth' in the OP !!

Why ?

I stated where i am currently with my game, sorry that i've played a bit before, i didn't realise that decade old information was compulsory.
I returned to the game last year , put in three cards and was given 18, dissapointed at the rise but some of us are not pro's and only play for a hobby.

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Was meant in jest RD, not intended as rudeness.

Surely though, we all know that there is a big difference between an 11 who is off 18 after a few years out, and an 18 who has never been lower.

Alex1975

Tour Winner
Visit site
The px 6.5 flighted wont help you keep your flight down. They are a high launch shaft

A revolutionary concept developed through exclusive Flex Distribution Technology" and perfected on Tour. Provides an exaggerated change in kick point within the club set to manipulate ball flight. Long irons have a lower kick point for higher ball flight, easier launch and greater distance. Short irons have a higher kick point for a lower trajectory, greater accuracy and control. Available in irons only.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
A revolutionary concept developed through exclusive Flex Distribution Technology" and perfected on Tour. Provides an exaggerated change in kick point within the club set to manipulate ball flight. Long irons have a lower kick point for higher ball flight, easier launch and greater distance. Short irons have a higher kick point for a lower trajectory, greater accuracy and control. Available in irons only.

Actually basically just a trick with the fitting of the shafts. The short irons use shafts which are slightly hard stepped, the mid irons are stock and the long irons are slightly soft stepped.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I bought some Ping S55's. Not a pure blade but certainly a better player club and one I'd struggle with. The plan was to use them in practice to improve striking and tempo and maybe be able to take them on the course at some point. They are much heavier than my I25's and I have to work hard to get the best strike. Definitely helping and if I can't get on with them going forward I'll just move them on.

There's an argument that says if you are a higher handicapper you should play forgiving clubs and make it easier (and in theory more enjoyable) but if you want to play blades and enjoy the challenge then why not?

Fish

Banned
Visit site
I love my MP52's and although there not blades per se, there pretty close I think in being described as Muscle Backs and I'm firmly a high handicapper, well in clubb comps I am but at other times wise I could be describesd as something else...;)

Albanach

Head Pro
Visit site
There's some interesting comments on this subject on the current podcast of State of the Game with the lad who had resurrected the Hogan Golf Company

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
There's some interesting comments on this subject on the current podcast of State of the Game with the lad who had resurrected the Hogan Golf Company

Yes, interesting stuff and I think he has a point. You still see players with so called forgiving clubs hit horrific shots. Modern blades are also much easier to hit than those from 25 years ago.

tugglesf239

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Yes, interesting stuff and I think he has a point. You still see players with so called forgiving clubs hit horrific shots. Modern blades are also much easier to hit than those from 25 years ago.

I agree

People often say that no matter how forgiving a club is, it will not fix a dodgy swing.

However they are keen to say that (perceived) unforgiving clubs will ruin a golfer. It seems a strange logic that Gi clubs wont fix a swing, yet players clubs will do the opposite.

I played poor last night, but i am telling you now that there is not a club in the world that would have fixed it. Likewise, i do not think there is a club that would have made it worse either (within reason :D)