Bifurcation? Pros & Cons?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Actually there were talks along those lines in relation to marathon runners and a type of Nike shoe.

I guess if people are happy watching people smash the ball around long, soulless courses with scores of 20+ under par then all well and good but there is always going to be the entertainment factor. If people want to watch that, fine. People want to watch the hundred meters run quicker and quicker, do they want to watch golf become a game played with a driver, a wedge and a putter.
I'm just not sure tying one hand behind their backs is the answer. I'm more of subscriber to the theory that you make the courses tougher for bombers, narrow the fairways the further up you go, fairway bunkers higher up, make the rough much harder to get out of it. And if someone can still hit it 360 and land it on a sixpence then they absolutely deserve the advantage of doing so.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
People want to watch the hundred meters run quicker and quicker...
Actually, I believe 'people' (certainly I/me) want to watch competitive running! That doesn't have to be world record times made on ultra-fast tracks/conditions. but that's a fairly inevitable result of 'progress'.
There ARE certain athletic events where 'progress' has been markedly 'slower' than sprints/'middle' distance/ engineered marathons - such as Discus/Javelin/Shot Put - at least where the athletes are recognised as 'clean'!

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I just don't really get it. When Usain Bolt smashed the 100 metre record they didn't start talking about how they had to make track shoes heavier. Progress is progress.
I think people need to decide what type of sport they want to watch. It is inherent within athletics to go faster, further higher etc. Watching the improvements is exciting to see. With golf the joy is in the process, not necessarily just the end score.

If bomb and gouge on long and bland courses floats your boat then leave all alone. If you want more shot variety, different tests on different courses then some small changes are needed.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site

MarkT

GM Forum Editor
Visit site
Spoke to a player on the senior tour today and he said there’s no chance that they will ever use a tournament ball, same with the ladies. Also made the amusing point where you could have a Sunningdale Foursomes pair with different balls.
Everyone seems to think that any pro/elite amateurs will all have to use a tournament ball when the likelihood is they won’t.

He also said it would take two days max to get used to a different ball

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
For me I'd like to leave everything as it is. I don't find watching or playing golf boring. I don't care if someone hits the ball 400yds, I find that intriguing and love the idea that someone who works harder at their game can be better than other players. I'm not that interested in watching all the players 'cross the line' at the same time (like a horse race handicap system).

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site
Seems to me that all thr old "back in my day" pros are calling for it and the concensus of tour players today are not. (Rory's comments last night).

The pro game is running away from the amateur game in terms of length because of skill and the amount of hard yards pros put in in the gym on strength and flexibility. I think its impressive and shouldn't be punished by bifurcation.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Local Rules available to all committees are not bifurcation
A Local Rule that says, for example, that you must use a certain ball or your driver must be lofted 9° or more are simply not going to be used by ordinary Golf Clubs. Ever.
They'll only be used in Pro/Elite events so its Bifurcation via the back door.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Spoke to a player on the senior tour today and he said there’s no chance that they will ever use a tournament ball, same with the ladies. Also made the amusing point where you could have a Sunningdale Foursomes pair with different balls.
Everyone seems to think that any pro/elite amateurs will all have to use a tournament ball when the likelihood is they won’t.

He also said it would take two days max to get used to a different ball
Why did he think this?

GuyInLyon

Visit site
Will there be just 1 pro ball to standardise it, or will every company have their own?
Everyone in pro football (both kinds) uses a standard ball, as do basketball players, baseball players and cricketers.
Why not have everyone in professional golf use the same ball, made in the same plant?
They could have golf ball manufacturers bid for the rights to supply the ball for 1-2 seasons and get the right to say, "the official ball of professional golf."

LincolnShep

Head Pro
Visit site
A Local Rule that says, for example, that you must use a certain ball or your driver must be lofted 9° or more are simply not going to be used by ordinary Golf Clubs. Ever.
They'll only be used in Pro/Elite events so its Bifurcation via the back door.

Wouldn't it be easier to do it the other way around? We can carry on using whatever is on the approved equipment list but the professional tours have their own, more restrictive, list and a local rule that says entrants must conform to that list. The 'pro' list would be a subset of the general list. Those players on the cusp will find themselves entering some tournaments where they can use everything and others where they can only use pro equipment - giving them a graduated transition.

Yorkhacker

Visit site
I wonder how equipment bifurcation would affect prices. If manufacturers are having to develop clubs for 2 markets, surely that's going to cost more and who is going to pay for that. At the same time, surely manufacturers will pay pros less to use their clubs as amateurs won't be able to buy the same clubs 'as used by' Bryson Dechambeau

mikejohnchapman

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
It's not bifurcation, the LRs would be available to all.
It will be interesting to understand whether the R&A would apply the LRs to elite amateur events and also whether they would apply to women's golf.

Also be intersting to see how it would be policed after the findings last year when drivers were tested before an event.