Bifurcation? Pros & Cons?

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
So what you're saying is that you did play the course in the same conditions as the pros? :unsure:
Yes we did .
And two scratch players would be lucky to break 80.
I shot 85 and played reasonably well.
I hit 3 wood second shots to several par 4s and was still short.
I hit driver at a par 3.
But if you fancy shooting 10 over your handicap when you play so you can play the same course as the pros your welcome to it.
We decided over lunch not to play anything over 6500yds as that’s what we’re used to.

Just to clarify Frank Licklighter won the Q school with 27 under par.
That’s the gulf between scratch and top pro.

D-S

Visit site
The rules bodies have already drawn a line as to how far the ball and equipment can hit the ball. There are a long list of equipment specifications and new balls and equipment needs to be within these boundaries.
So all that the rules bodies are suggesting is that the line (which already has been drawn) is moved. There is no magic about the arbitrary limit of 450cc driver size or the maximum velocity requirements of the ball. It is just where the line has been allowed to get to over the years. Unless there is a clear reason that the line as currently drawn is for some reason absolutely perfect, deciding to redraw it is no big deal.

birdyhunter

Visit site
@clubchamp98
It was your comment of "If anyone thinks they play the same conditions as the pros they are wrong" that confused me... having described how you played a course in what sounds like the same conditions as pros :cautious:

But if you fancy shooting 10 over your handicap when you play so you can play the same course as the pros your welcome to it.

I was lucky enough to play Carnoustie soon after the 2018 Open, got totally beaten up by the course but loved it. So yes I do enjoy the challenge of playing the same courses as the pros, in whatever conditions. I'll never score a penalty at Wembley or serve an ace at Wimbledon but being able to play on the same hallowed turf as the best in the world is one of the beauties of golf. If you don't enjoy it, it's up to you.

Last edited:

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
@clubchamp98
It was your comment of "If anyone thinks they play the same conditions as the pros they are wrong" that confused me... having described how you played a course in what sounds like the same conditions as pros :cautious:

I was lucky enough to play Carnoustie soon after the 2018 Open, got totally beaten up by the course but loved it. So yes I do enjoy the challenge of playing the same courses as the pros, in whatever conditions. I'll never score a penalty at Wembley or serve an ace at Wimbledon but being able to play on the same hallowed turf as the best in the world is one of the beauties of golf. If you don't enjoy it, it's up to you.
Yes I get your point.
But OCN was a slog it just wasn’t enjoyable at that yardage.
We played it in the afternoon from 6600 yds and it was much more enjoyable.
Playing them courses are not cheap and I think making it to difficult for yourself is not enjoyable.
A links might be different I have played several open courses .
But USA courses are just to long when it’s damp as they water them every morning.
It’s nice to play where the pros play I was lucky enough to play Sawgrass but we didn’t make the same mistake we played 6500 yds and it was awesome.
What a place I would go back tomorrow.

birdyhunter

Visit site
@clubchamp98

I know what you mean too, about paying a lot of money to play a course that you don't particularly enjoy and it just being a slog.. it can be a drag and you just can't wait for that cold beer at the end.

The beauty of golf is that there is such a variety of courses.. long, short, links, inland, easy, hard etc.. and within that there are so many variables on the day such as teeing areas, pin positions, weather. That's what keep us coming back (y)

Anyway, back to bifurcation...

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
@clubchamp98

I know what you mean too, about paying a lot of money to play a course that you don't particularly enjoy and it just being a slog.. it can be a drag and you just can't wait for that cold beer at the end.

The beauty of golf is that there is such a variety of courses.. long, short, links, inland, easy, hard etc.. and within that there are so many variables on the day such as teeing areas, pin positions, weather. That's what keep us coming back (y)

Anyway, back to bifurcation...
Yes spot on .
On most courses on TV we only see the second shots to the greens ,where the bunkers are the slopes on the greens etc ,we can recognise them.
But apart from a few holes who remembers where the pros drives land?
That’s why I think playing from the back tees on top courses is just not enjoyable for most of us.
One of the most enjoyable I have played is Prestwick not overly long but fantastic and all that history.
If you want to play 7000+ fine.
That’s the best of all worlds.

birdyhunter

Visit site
One of the most enjoyable I have played is Prestwick not overly long but fantastic and all that history.

I've played a few courses in the USA and although there are some great ones, others are just a slog, especially in the heat... you get chased by buggies and you walk off the course not remembering any of the holes, just ready for a beer. It can be the same over here though.

Playing Carnoustie after the Open was amazing and it properly beat us all up.. even though we played an easier course than the pros... we were off forward tees so it was shorter by probably 500-600 yards. Molinari had shot 65 at the weekend (using pretty much the same equipment as us, yes tour specs...but no bifurcation ;)) and we all though, 'how the f*** did he do that? ' It was great :)

Last edited: