Bifurcation? Pros & Cons?

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Where did you get that from? Donald Trump's Twitter posts?

They certainly still make older, non current golf balls for certain pro's. I have seen this mentioned in WITB interviews.

A few years back Nike were marketing Tiger's ball as being the one he used. It was subsequently proved to not be the case, so Nike were fined, and then released a limited run of actual Tiger golf balls. The fact that they were tailored to Tigers requirements meant that not many would get the best out of them.

MarkT

GM Forum Editor
Visit site
Exactly this. I remember and interview with Ian Poulter, going back a few years now when he was with Cobra. It used to cost £20000.00 to make him a set of irons and they bore very little resemblance to what was being sold as the same clubs off the shelf. Guess it is the same across the bag with everything being made to order. I am happy to be proved wrong but I think it is one of golf's great illusions that amateurs and professionals are playing with anything like the same equipment.

Read yesterday that Adam Scott’s driver shaft cost $790

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I just saw this list of driving distance leaders over the years - don't ask me for the source, it was some guy on Facebook but I assume he didn't just fabricate it. It's not really indicative of a growing problem.

Unless that problem is named Bryson. ?

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1612358775109.jpg
    FB_IMG_1612358775109.jpg
    117 KB · Views: 28

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I just saw this list of driving distance leaders over the years - don't ask me for the source, it was some guy on Facebook but I assume he didn't just fabricate it. It's not really indicative of a growing problem.

Unless that problem is named Bryson. ?
What might be interesting to see, I don't know the answer by the way, is the number of people hitting these distances now. In the past it was probably only small numbers of golfers. Now I suspect it is a big chunk of the field. Add into that the younger golfer coming through is going to be fitter, more athletic than before, trained from the begining to hit big numbers rather than looking to stroke the ball. This move is looking to the future, not just the present.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
What might be interesting to see, I don't know the answer by the way, is the number of people hitting these distances now. In the past it was probably only small numbers of golfers. Now I suspect it is a big chunk of the field. Add into that the younger golfer coming through is going to be fitter, more athletic than before, trained from the begining to hit big numbers rather than looking to stroke the ball. This move is looking to the future, not just the present.
I suspect you're right but that's the issue - it's young athletic college golfers coming through, nothing to do with equipment.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I suspect you're right but that's the issue - it's young athletic college golfers coming through, nothing to do with equipment.
You can't stop improvements in fitness and distance technique, tournaments seem reluctant to set up courses to restrict the bombers so the only thing left is equipment.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
It is an interesting one that needs some joined up thinking. The race to gain more distance was an obvious one, from a marketing point of view for the manufacturers and from a playing point of view in that added distance took many hazards out of play. The response to that was longer courses which increased the quest for more distance whilst makin a number of classic courses unsuited to the modern game. The more obvious solution may have been to tighten courses, increase the penalty for being wide etc but that would mean an end to champagne golf filled with long drives and birdies and those in charge, one assumes, did not see that as an attractive option.

The whole thing still seems a bit disjointed. If you aim regulations at the clubs then you have to draw up all sorts of rules, specifications etc, test dozens of makes and models. If you aimed the rules at the ball, what would you need to do, test maybe a dozen variants with one set of new parameters. The testing could be done in a couple of days.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
You can't stop improvements in fitness and distance technique, tournaments seem reluctant to set up courses to restrict the bombers so the only thing left is equipment.
I just don't really get it. When Usain Bolt smashed the 100 metre record they didn't start talking about how they had to make track shoes heavier. Progress is progress.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
I just don't really get it. When Usain Bolt smashed the 100 metre record they didn't start talking about how they had to make track shoes heavier. Progress is progress.

Actually there were talks along those lines in relation to marathon runners and a type of Nike shoe.

I guess if people are happy watching people smash the ball around long, soulless courses with scores of 20+ under par then all well and good but there is always going to be the entertainment factor. If people want to watch that, fine. People want to watch the hundred meters run quicker and quicker, do they want to watch golf become a game played with a driver, a wedge and a putter.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site

No, progress isn't progress when it is detrimental to the fundamentals of the game.
Pro level golf has become one dimensional. Bomb it, and wedge into the green. Even par 5s are rarely more than driver 8i.
You weren't around to see some of the greats. The way they moved the ball, controlled the flight, played the game. It took imagination, great skill, especially using the kit they used. To hit a batata ball 300 yards was unbelievable, yet a few could do it. To play a needed 3i off a downhill lie at Augusta, into a narrow green not designed to take a 3i. It was golf.
The smash and grab that passes for golf now is no improvement. It is barely recognisable.
Grow the rough, narrow the fairways? Yep, it'll be a bore fest. Everyone reduced to the same. Hacking it out. It's terrible to watch, and the punters will switch off in droves.
Most on here revere Seve. He wouldn't feature in today's game. The way he played would be Impossible with modern balls and clubs.

The horse bolted long ago, the game is the worst for it, and the governing bodies ignored it til it was way too late.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Some pros even have specific ball recipies made just for them....

The only pro that I knew who had that done was Greg Norman. He had an extra hard (compression wise) version of (I think from memory) of the Spalding Tour Edition because he was trying to reduce the amount of back spin he was getting.