better player irons for a mid handicapper

shewy

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Anyone play better player irons who is around 16 hcp or above? thinking of trading mine in or selling them for a set of callaway xr pro's as hit them really really well, prefer the flight and distance wise nothing in it, but prefer the less offset. Irons have always been a strength of mine.

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site
I am definitely a mid handicapper, currently using RSI TP's, they were my second set of irons, got them just before the summer. Good shots feel good, bad shots feel bad like anything else. Personally I prefer to look down and see a smaller head, plus I don't mind a poor shot being punished more whereas I may get away with a poorer swing with a more GI iron

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I am definitely a mid handicapper, currently using RSI TP's, they were my second set of irons, got them just before the summer. Good shots feel good, bad shots feel bad like anything else. Personally I prefer to look down and see a smaller head, plus I don't mind a poor shot being punished more whereas I may get away with a poorer swing with a more GI iron

I'm like you. I prefer a smaller head and a thinnish top line but as a mid handicapper I also need forgiveness for when my ball striking is not great

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I use xr oversize shovels .... I don't care about the clubs looks, just my card.
I'll just get my coat.

D

Deleted member 21258

Not sure what you mean by better player irons but my son who is now an 18 handicapper plays with the cobra fly Z+ irons whilst certainly they are not blades but are smaller heads than his previous wilsons and nicer on his eye he says.

Cant say he has seen any negative difference in iron play, but he isn't a bad striker of the ball, probably a better striker than I am for instance and I am the lower handicapper.

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
just do yourself a favour and dont get dragged into players irons out of vanity. forgiveness is your friend when it comes to irons

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
When I was off 20 I swapped my GI irons for a set of Mizzy MP32's.

Got me to 16 before I bought some MP63's. They got me to 14.

Swapped them for some Cleveland 588cb forged which got me to where I am now 11.8 (12).

The only thing you'll notice is that the distance drop off is greater on a mis-hit.

I would like to add in my case its raw talent as opposed to the clubs that is lowering my handicap :)

Hendy

Tour Rookie
Visit site
What about a mixed set

What I mean there is pw-6/7 as so called better player irons and then something forgiving in 6-4/3.

As for which ones you will need a custom fit to see what your numbers are like. You might think the day you tried the 'players' type irons you were hitting them fine. But as stated a mis hit even a small one the distance drop off is much greater than a forgiving set.

Also bear in mind if you have a round were you have a great card going the smaller headed irons might look even smaller and even harder to hit when your trying to close it out. Always remember a guy in my club played with a more bladed irons as he loved the looks. And in fairness he hit them in the range really well. On the course it started good but the closing holes if he had a card he blow up. He gave in after about two seasons of this and got himself a set of ping i's and this season went from 16 to 12.

So something to think about

Face breaker

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I'm around a 16 handicap and I'll quite happily play a round of golf with my 15/16yr old 'Mizuno T-zoid pro II' blades, I'm a firm advocate of if it works then it works, a work colleague of mine plays of 9 and has been struggling for months to hit a half decent shot it got so bad that I had to do a double take sometimes just to make sure I wasn't playing with someone else, recently I lent him my 'Wilson Fatshafts' on the off chance and to say they transformed his golf is an understatement and it was almost immediate.

The pro at our club said I'd never be able to hit my 'Mizzies' but I can assure you I proved him wrong on that one. :thup:

shewy

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
What about a mixed set

What I mean there is pw-6/7 as so called better player irons and then something forgiving in 6-4/3.

As for which ones you will need a custom fit to see what your numbers are like. You might think the day you tried the 'players' type irons you were hitting them fine. But as stated a mis hit even a small one the distance drop off is much greater than a forgiving set.

Also bear in mind if you have a round were you have a great card going the smaller headed irons might look even smaller and even harder to hit when your trying to close it out. Always remember a guy in my club played with a more bladed irons as he loved the looks. And in fairness he hit them in the range really well. On the course it started good but the closing holes if he had a card he blow up. He gave in after about two seasons of this and got himself a set of ping i's and this season went from 16 to 12.

So something to think about

that's a great idea may hunt around for a 1/2 set of pro's

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
just do yourself a favour and dont get dragged into players irons out of vanity. forgiveness is your friend when it comes to irons

This ^^^^^^^^

I've just gone back to easier to hit clubs and I can't think why I thought "better player" clubs were the way to go

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If you are going down that route the new ping I blades are the best I have ever played .
pricey though.
IMO the more help you get the better with irons
a custom fit is a must if you want this type of club.

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If you want some forgiveness and something easy on the eye, take a look at the Srixon z565. If you want more of a players club, look at the z765. Or a mixed set - z565 in the long irons and z765 in the short irons

Last edited: