Best Srixon golf ball?

PingPlayer15

Club Champion
Visit site
I cannot afford a new box of Pro V1s out of my money and I hate Callaway balls so I want to purchase a new box of Srixon balls, but what is the best golf ball that Srixon have made?

jpxpro

Assistant Pro
Visit site
ZStar are on par with pro v1

but the ad333 is an excellent all round ball for the average player, with the added benefit that losing one doesnt effectively cost you £4

palindromicbob

Tour Winner
Visit site
I cannot afford a new box of Pro V1s out of my money and I hate Callaway balls so I want to purchase a new box of Srixon balls, but what is the best golf ball that Srixon have made?

This isn't much info to go on and then there is so much variation in prices you can buy balls from various places it's really hard to pin down.

Trying to read between the lines you want to play a premium ball but can't afford to pay £38ish for New Pro V's.

The Srixon options that will offer a premium ball would be the Z-star coming in around £30-£35 (sometimes as cheap as £20 - £25 if you shop around).

Next in line is the AD333 tour but at £25-27 in most places not a massive saving to be made.

Why buy those when you can get these.
http://www.cgdiscountgolf.co.uk/Titleist-ProV1-ProV1-X-Practice-Balls-P1975.aspx

£23 a dozen and you get your preferred ball and they are the exact same as you would be paying £38 for with the only thing being PRACTICE stamped on the side. This is the same ball that graces the ranges of PGA and European tour events world wide. If they weren't up to scratch the Professionals wouldn't be using them to prep for their rounds. They aren't the same as the "practice' Pro V's sold by third parties. Those are low end second hand balls. These ones are brand new.

Cheaper still would be X-Outs at £20. These can be used in any comp as long as the List of conforming balls rule isn't in effect (yet to see a standard club comp that has this in place though). I real world use the Pro V X-Outs would have no major difference to the fully priced product. They reach the X-Out pile because the fail on very minor defects.

http://www.direct-golf.co.uk/golf_b...x-out_golf_balls_dozen_golf_balls/p15873.aspx

The problems with Practice/X-Outs is that supply can be variable so best to stock up when you can get them.

Then you are moving into the <£20 bracket. If this is what you are after then you probably want a balance of not being a complete rock but still having some feel.

My personal preference would be the cheaper Srixon Soft Feel at around £13-15 followed by the AD 333 which is around the £18 mark.

After that you are moving into the Distance balls which are cheap but still nicer than many other brands distance balls.

At the end of the day most of it comes to to what you prefer to use. Balls in the same market area tend to perform very similarly but other factors can affect perception of the performance.

http://www.golfdigest.com/blogs/the-loop/2011/02/insights-from-a-week-of-golf-b.html

Last edited:

palindromicbob

Tour Winner
Visit site
Best all round bridging the gap between premium (Z star) and firmer two piece (AD333) is the AD333 tour. Cracking ball

AD333 tour, another vote from me, great ball.

I've tried them and no doubting the are a nice mid range ball but where can you get them cheap? Most places they are around the £27-28 mark. And they aren't popular enough to show up in many pearl quality second hand ball packs.

Z-Stars commonly show up new around the £25 mark sometimes lower. Lots of major retailers also put them out at around £30 and they are common enough to be able to get them in pearl quality second hand packs regularly.

Unless you are stuck purely to buying balls from a place following RRP trends and can't shop around I fail to see the market this ball is filling. If RRP was <£25 then it would make more sense.

Same issue stands with the Project (a)

Last edited:

delc

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Most of the Srixon balls are good, apart from their awful rock-like 'Distance' ball. I normally play with the AD333, which is a good all round ball at a reasonable price. You can often get good deals on them if you buy them in bulk, say 2 dozen at a time.

BTatHome

Tour Winner
Visit site
Having spoken to Srixon guys, they say that the AD333 Tour is the best ball for the vast majority of amateurs, the ZStar exists for those who have high swing speed (and for their tour pro's).

I would guess they don't appear to be discounted as there is only one version available. The ZStar usually get discounted when the new versions appear (like most manufacturers do).

palindromicbob

Tour Winner
Visit site
Can't believe this has been missed! 16 posts without mentioning it so something must have changed.

How about getting fitted for your ball ;)

In all seriousness though swing speed will give a decent indication of ball that may suit best. Slower swing speed may benefit from a lower compression ball and vice versa.

Pin-seeker

Visit site

Why does it have to be Srixon?
Lots of other alternatives to Titleist.
Some good deals on Lake balls on eBay,if you get pearl quality they're usually pretty much like new & offer the same performance IMO.
I usually switch between Bridgestone/Titleist & srixon,depends what are the cheapest tbh.

Dave B

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Two things you need to take into consideration, if you don't have a fast swing speed or you tend to slice the ball it is very likely that a tour ball will offer very little benefit over a standard two/three piece ball. Urethane covered balls are designed to grab and spin whereas some of the newer two and three piece distance balls are designed to reduce side spin and as such are a little kinder to slicers.

The AD333 is probably Srixons best selling ball as it does everything relatively well. The Soft Feel has a very good following particularly for those with slightly slower swing speeds.

The new generation Callaway Hex balls are superb so long as you keep away from the budget CXR Distance balls and the top of the range 105 mph+ swing speed tour balls. Although I've used AD333's for a long time I do like the Hex Hot series and the Chrome.

If you're looking at mid range balls you should also consider Bridgestone E5, (urethane covered similar to AD333 Tour and the E6). The Wilson DX3's and DX2's are also another good ball.

To be honest there are a lot of good balls and a lot boils down to personal preference.