Best halfway houses?

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
The hut at Welwyn - had one of the best ever bacon rolls there....
Like Blackmoor's too...
Bearwood's was pretty good..
Camberley's had some tasty wares....

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Marsden Golf Club, Huddersfield. It's a nine hole course.
Played there in a Rabbits comp, you order your food before you go out, then when you come down the 9th go inside the clubhouse, have a bacon sandwich or whatever you ordered, have a drink, maybe a slice of cake, chew the fat and relax for a bit, then go back out and play the back nine. It's a very quirky course, but that's not surprising cos it's like Royston Vasey up on the moors around Marsden.

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Can't be very many bog-stand courses with a Half-way house that's been open mid-week all winter serving, home-made soup, hot drinks, sausage rolls & pasties as well as canned Beer. A very welcome watering-hole.

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site
Any that doesn’t allow people to stop and sit down.
We have one that allows it. Everyone naturally accepts a 5min pause to the game come the 9th tee and if you wish to stop it’s on the understanding you let the groups behind through (unwritten rule). Most people stay in their slots and grab cake or a quick cuppa but for those who want a butty, it works without issue.

Even if you do get a butty and manage to keep your slot with space, the reality is that you’ve caught up any lost ground by 11th tee and everyone is no worse off.

MarkT

GM Forum Editor
Visit site
The lighthouse at Turnberry is pretty spectacular, if a little pricey. I think the sausage rolls at the Centurion are probably the best I've had in the UK.

Halfway in Japan is good, but a challenge, usually after 9, you come in to the restaurant for a minimum hour break. The food is a step up from your average sausage roll and pasty, it includes a 2 or 3 courses with multiple beers before venturing back out for the back 9. Here's a sample from the halfway menu at Inasa Suzuki
View attachment 40724

On the plus side, one occasion I played there, the rain was so heavy, we were absolutely drenched. When we came in halfway like drowned rabbits, they took all our clubs, waterproofs, gloves and hats off of us and put them in a drying cupboard. Everything was bone dry and fresh to use going out for the second half.

The tricky bit is after the round finishes, when you're expected to strip off and share a bath with your playing partners..... in my case, the president of Suzuki cars.
hot_img02.jpg

This is incredible/hilarious

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
The hut at Welwyn - had one of the best ever bacon rolls there....
Like Blackmoor's too...
Bearwood's was pretty good..
Camberley's had some tasty wares....

Like you I thought camberleys was great, draft beer, fresh pies, perfect.

I do like the mannings Heath and RAC as I find they are functional and keep pace of play moving.

Rcp’s didn’t do much for me and neither did the 2010.

I’ve heard good things about the new one at the addington but haven’t played they since it was built, they’d only just laid the base when I played it last.

Pants

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I’ve heard good things about the new one at the addington but haven’t played they since it was built, they’d only just laid the base when I played it last.

I haven't been there for a while now either but one of Sue's hugs was well worth stopping for. :love: :giggle:

D

Deleted member 3432

Hello

I’m doing a big piece on halfway houses in the UK for the mag and looking for some insight.

As well as singing the usual praises of of Sunningdale’s sausages I’d like to shine a light on some of the more underrated ones

Any particular regional treats? Think Lytham do a brilliant pork pie?

Any that are a bit different?

What’s the best thing that you’ve ever eaten in a halfway house?

Any spectacular settings?

Basically if you have any good tales and tidbits about a halfway house then please share

Any that still operate an honesty bar?

Cheers all

Has it turned into a catering publication?

Sorry for being flippent but articles like that aren't going to sell many copies.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Has it turned into a catering publication?

Sorry for being flippent but articles like that aren't going to sell many copies.
Part of the tapestry of golf though, the fun side?

Anyway, next month, best and worst coffee machines in clubhouses. Do you get a mugs worth or a cup? @MarkT you can have this one for free ?

D

Deleted member 23270

Part of the tapestry of golf though, the fun side?

Anyway, next month, best and worst coffee machines in clubhouses. Do you get a mugs worth or a cup? @MarkT you can have this one for free ?
Nah.....Best confectionary choice in any pro shop ?