Best halfway houses?

MarkT

GM Forum Editor
Visit site
Has it turned into a catering publication?

Sorry for being flippent but articles like that aren't going to sell many copies.

Hopefully it will be a celebration of halfway houses; is quite a nice/weird aspect of the sport that you just stop halfway and stuff your face with some sort of meat-based product

Along with some chat about whether people want to stop to eat a pork pie after nine holes, some psychology chatter about how not to let it get in the way of a good round, what you should and shouldn’t be eating/ why halfway houses happened in the first place etc

Be a great one to introduce on tour, groups of 15 pros and caddies queuing up for a sausage roll

Boomy

Visit site
Best sausage rolls at Royal Lytham halfway house ? (homemade flapjacks we’re good too Mrs Boomy tells me)

Aphrodite Hills halfway house was rather disappointing tbh, out of all the scenic places they could have sited it, they chose a bit with no views. Plentiful drinks selection though and the lady was very friendly.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Hillside food just shades it for me. Shame the course isn't as good as Formby though ????
Other way around for me. Last few holes of Formby seemed ever so slightly squashed in. And the squawks of the Pheasants didn't help!:sick:
Both top courses though!

PNWokingham

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
JCB - amazing sausage rolls. Great views of the course sat outside. They even use the buggy gps to bring food out to you!

I would have loved to take more rime there but after going in and getting the beer and ordering something that I cannot remember, I looked out and and my trolley, bag and clubs were in the pond and getting them out occupied the next 15 minutes!!

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
East Sussex National had a good setup on both courses where you could get freshly cooked bacon, sausage, egg baps etc. There was an intercom on the 9th tee, so you could place your order. I haven't been for a few years, but assume it's still the same.
I played the West Course last summer. Don't know if they still have the intercom but we got a sausage bap when we arrived and it was most probably the nicest sausage bap I have ever eaten.

Reactions: SyR

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
There was quite a lot of very vocal opposition to us putting one up...it was going to make rounds sooo much slower. But thanks to one member with determination and vision we now have one. It sits back of our 11th green, nice simple timber hut nestled in a stand of tall pines with a nice open view and handy also for players waiting to play our 6th.

Though most groups don't stop, most of us use it for a take-away drink or bite to eat and toilet stop. There are a handful of occasions in a year when all groups stop - the main one bein Captain's Day when the captain doles out free burgers and beer.

And of course for our opens, and for societies and other visitors, I suspect that there is an expectation that there will be one. So the question I might have for the naysayers, as they remain, when did you last play a decent or renowned track that didn't have a 'halfway' house.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I'm not really a great fan of a halfway house stop.
If you can pick up a bacon roll or whatever while waiting to tee off and then start munching as you go off down the fairway then I'm all for it.
Never li,e stopping and losing what little rhythm I already have....

Beedee

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Not a fan of them either.
If I'm playing well I want to continue in the rhythm without any delay. If I'm playing badly I just want off the course as quick as I can.
Grabbing a bottle of water and a snickers to eat on the move is ok. Don't like stopping.

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
I would have loved to take more rime there but after going in and getting the beer and ordering something that I cannot remember, I looked out and and my trolley, bag and clubs were in the pond and getting them out occupied the next 15 minutes!!
Didn't you get your host to retrieve your bag, while you directed operations from the side ?:confused: