Best halfway houses?

Harley-D

Visit site
I recall a society event at Royal Wimbledon. The hut was/is brick built, has a bar with optics and everything you need. As I recall you pass it at least three times!

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Gleneagles (on the Kings and Queens) - there's a phone on the tee so you can call in your order before playing the hole before you arrive at the half way house.

Was boiling when we played there and the ice cream was excellent.
It is well stocked but hate the fact you have to wait and use it. I remember playing the Kings with Jimeroid and we were forced to wait for best part of 45 mins, in the end we gave up and just 0layed the back 9. We only just got in before it got dark. Played it a few times since with Sam and its been much quite than that day.

Personally I'm not a fan of waiting, overseas visitors seem to expect it. Hardly any of our members use ours, unless it's a drinking group.

Castle Stuart is the only one up here I can think of that does hot food.

Last edited:

NearHull

Visit site
Some 15 years or so ago, i won a ( company) charity auction to play a 4 ball on Wentworth West. On arrival we were given the company card to pay for refreshments. We managed to put £36 on it in the halfway house alone. (Post round drinks and dinner added considerably to the bill.)

davidy233

Tour Rookie
www.davidyoungphoto.co.uk
It is well stocked but hay the fact you have to wait and use it. I remember playing the Kings with Jimeroid and we were forces to wait for bedtvpart of 45 mins, in the end we gave up and just 0layed the back 9. We only just got in before it got dark. Played it a few times since with Sam and its been much quite than that day.

Personally I'm not a fan of waiting, overseas visitors seem to expect it. Hardly any of our members use ours, unless it's a drinking group.

Castle Stuart is the only one up here I can think of that does hot food.
We didn't have to wait - possibly because we were just getting ice cream - don't think we would have queued/waited and can't honestly think I'd ever wait to get served in the middle of a round of golf.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
We didn't have to wait - possibly because we were just getting ice cream - don't think we would have queued/waited and can't honestly think I'd ever wait to get served in the middle of a round of golf.
Last time on the Queens it was pretty empty. Allowed the cabby to put his hand in his pocket?

D

Deleted member 23270

We have a very good one fully stocked with hot snacks, cakes, beers, hot and cold drinks, flapjacks and sleeves of balls in case you're having a mare ?

D

Deleted member 15344

Can't anyone manage to last 18 holes before stuffing their face?

Surely much better to eat in the clubhouse after the round if you're wanting food.

Always good to have a soup or coffee or bap , sausage roll halfway.

Don’t see many “stuffing their face”

D

Deleted member 15344

Not many exactly refuelling very efficiently then if that's rephrasing it slightly better.

I’m sure there will be many that feel refilled after a drink or food or even some booze halfway through the round - I always enjoy a coffee

D

Deleted member 15344

I’m a massive fan of the halfway hut. Love to stop. Sit down and have a snack/light meal and a drink.

Anyone who says it interrupts their “flow” is talking BS. We’re all useless choppers who should appreciate the social side of golf.

Pretty much my take as well - it’s a social game for us all - not one of us on here should take the game that serious to even think that stopping for 5 mins or so to grab a drink and bite which affect their game that much

Captainron

Big Hitting, South African Sweary Person
Visit site
Pretty much my take as well - it’s a social game for us all - not one of us on here should take the game that serious to even think that stopping for 5 mins or so to grab a drink and bite which affect their game that much
People who say that is affects their game are the types that put far too much pressure on themselves to play well. They usually find something to blame their poor performance on anyway.

D

Deleted member 29109

Not all of us!

Why do you need to sit down halfway round for golf to be social? You are spending 4 hours walking round together. Is that not long enough?