Best halfway houses?

D

Deleted member 29109

Its nothing to do with control, its about having striking a balance. Why should my partner have to stay at home with our baby whilst I disappear for 6 hours at a weekend?

Golf is my release and I enjoy it. Frankly, walking around the course for 3 to 4 hours with my mates is a good amount of time to spend with them. I don't see the need to add any extra to the beginning, middle and end of that and would feel guilty doing so.

Perhaps when I've not got a young family I'll feel differently.

No point discussing it. Many on here have nothing else to do but play golf, so it doesn’t Matt to them how long it takes. And obviously they’ve let their woman know who’s boss in their house.

What is really amusing is the people complaining that some of us don’t like stopping half way round, are also complaining about the time it takes to get round on the slow play threads.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I enjoy a halfway hut, Carnoustie being my favourite.

I guess using them is all part of the sociable side of golf. I was always taught many moons ago when I was a young buck learning the game playing Wimbledon Common, that being a member of a club wasn’t just about playing 18 holes of golf. It was much more than that.

It seems these days the newer generation of golfers always seem to be in a rush to play golf and have to get home to their wives/partners to keep them happy.

It’s almost as if they’re controlled by said partner. I’ve seen it in our swindle with 2 guys in particular, they always have an excuse ready as to why they’ve got to get back home.
Did you actually read back the 3rd paragraph before pressing post o_O.

How long people want to stay out is entirely for them to decide. You want to be away all day, that's fine. For others they may have other things to do during a day. To criticise is arrogant, each to their own.

Sats

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Our 1/2 house is brilliant, independently run and is always friendly and has a nice selection. The only thing I don't always use is the bar as I find sometimes it can add an extra hour or so onto the day and if I have stuff planned after golf then I won't go in.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site

I guess using them is all part of the sociable side of golf. I was always taught many moons ago when I was a young buck learning the game playing Wimbledon Common, that being a member of a club wasn’t just about playing 18 holes of golf. It was much more than that.

It seems these days the newer generation of golfers always seem to be in a rush to play golf and have to get home to their wives/partners to keep them happy.

It’s almost as if they’re controlled by said partner. I’ve seen it in our swindle with 2 guys in particular, they always have an excuse ready as to why they’ve got to get back home.
When were you a member at Wimbledon Common? There were times we'd use the cafe at the windmill behind London Scottish to get a snack but very dependent on the course not being busy as you'd lose your place on the course and others would go through and so not practical in a comp

MarkT

GM Forum Editor
Visit site

What era did you play Wimbledon Common? I played there quite a bit in the early/mid 80s before joining Wimbledon Park down the road. Loved the Common, no bunkers and loads of brilliant short 4s

MarkT

GM Forum Editor
Visit site
I worked for Jeff Jukes for a number of years around 81-83 so probably served you in the shop

I remember him well, I've still got my dad's 'pillar box red' shirt that he would keep to play there. If things were different (and it wasn't a common) someone could transform it into something incredible

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I remember him well, I've still got my dad's 'pillar box red' shirt that he would keep to play there. If things were different (and it wasn't a common) someone could transform it into something incredible

Small world. I agree it could be something special but I kind of like it as it is/was and a bit ragged around the edges. Definitely not a pushover with the small greens. Will be playing there at some point in the Spring

D

Deleted member 1740

Halfway house's are great.

Of all the course's i've played at with them the only time we've been held up is on GM Forum days. The last one being Camberley, which was a joke.

They're handy for a quick cuppa Tea/water/snack etc. I've never felt the need to sit down for 20mins and have a full on scran.

I wonder if those who dont like them/use them would use them if they were free ?

D

Deleted member 21258

Used to like a Sausage & onion French bread roll at Hainault Forest on a sunday morning. Been a few years tho:coffee:

Not really into halfway stops, irrelevant on whos paying, would rather continue playing. Golf is were the action is for me.

The Turnberry lighthouse and the Royal Cinque Ports ones were a welcome sight tho, as it was flipping freezing on those forum trips. Warmth inside:LOL: