Best halfway houses?

D

Deleted member 15344

Not all of us!

Why do you need to sit down halfway round for golf to be social? You are spending 4 hours walking round together. Is that not long enough?
who says anything about sitting down ?‍♂️

Sorry I didn’t realise it was your career

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Not all of us!

Why do you need to sit down halfway round for golf to be social? You are spending 4 hours walking round together. Is that not long enough?

Not a fan of a halfway house, especially if I am playing well. You definitely get into a rhythm when it is going well and waiting for someone to make up their mind over what they want and then eat or drink their order definitely has an effect. Same as playing a normal round at your own course and then finding it slowing down on the back nine. The flow goes and makes it much harder to keep concentration. Find exactly that at a halfway house. Affects my concentration as well as the flow

D

Deleted member 15344

Captainron, in the post you responded to ??‍♂️

You don’t have to sit down - most halfway huts are grab something have a break for a couple mins and then move on , if it really affects someone’s game that badly then they need to work on their game mentality.

Captainron

Big Hitting, South African Sweary Person
Visit site
About the same number of times as your good self sir
100%!! But I stop every time there is one open. Never blamed a halfway house stop for being bang rubbish at golf.

It’s also revenue for the club which is a good thing. Allows the breaks between groups to be reset a bit too. All in all a very good thing.

4LEX

Visit site
Swinley is the best on a personl level. The starter sees you off and then serves you the best homemade sausage roll in golf. Forget the JCB nonsense.
Sunningdale has the best choice and the sausage sandwich is simple but tasty. A big sandwich collection plus freshly baked flapjacks and beers/Pimms make it the best overall.

Captainron

Big Hitting, South African Sweary Person
Visit site
Not all of us!

Sitting down to drink or eat is a normal thing?

Back in South Africa the time is built into the round. The stop is compulsory. Mini restaurants serve as hallways at most of the courses there too. Beer fridge is always stocked and well used by members and visitors

Jimaroid

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I have at times felt a little put out when playing partners won’t stop at the halfway hut. I’ll always offer to buy drinks and it can feel as if they’re refusing a round on me which in some contexts I have found a little offensive.

Some people really don’t understand etiquette I guess.

D

Deleted member 23270

Swinley is the best on a personl level. The starter sees you off and then serves you the best homemade sausage roll in golf. Forget the JCB nonsense.
Sunningdale has the best choice and the sausage sandwich is simple but tasty. A big sandwich collection plus freshly baked flapjacks and beers/Pimms make it the best overall.
I've played Sunningdale several times and I think the hut there is over hyped. I have been in better ones.

Pants

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Back in South Africa the time is built into the round. The stop is compulsory. Mini restaurants serve as hallways at most of the courses there too. Beer fridge is always stocked and well used by members and visitors

Gives your caddies time to have their lunch as well.:)

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
The main reason I like to keep going is so my knees don't seize up...it's why I struggle with really slow play..the stop/start, almost ambling along kills my joints and can mean I can barely move the next day. Give me 4 hours of almost constant walking and I'm fine ..give me 4 hours of stopping for slow play/halfway hut etc and it hurts....
Sorry if some don't like that.....

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
The main reason I like to keep going is so my knees don't seize up...it's why I struggle with really slow play..the stop/start, almost ambling along kills my joints and can mean I can barely move the next day.
Sorry if some don't like that.....
Should be playing with Fragger then ? :unsure:

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Should be playing with Fragger then ? :unsure:
Would be but the poor lamb has a sore foot...:rolleyes:
If others in my group want to stop then I have no issue...I'll just have to keep moving....
I can't imagine anyone wanting, or being able, to carry me back to the clubhouse when the knees seize on the 16th..;)

4LEX

Visit site
I've played Sunningdale several times and I think the hut there is over hyped. I have been in better ones.

You've got to play late on a summers afternoon and stop off for a few drinks to really appreciate it. Camden Hells flowing, beautiful views and not knowing which famous face you'll bump into. Which better ones have you been in? Genuinely interested as I'll make sure I visit ;)

HomecountiesJohn

Visit site
I enjoy a halfway hut, Carnoustie being my favourite.

I guess using them is all part of the sociable side of golf. I was always taught many moons ago when I was a young buck learning the game playing Wimbledon Common, that being a member of a club wasn’t just about playing 18 holes of golf. It was much more than that.

It seems these days the newer generation of golfers always seem to be in a rush to play golf and have to get home to their wives/partners to keep them happy.

It’s almost as if they’re controlled by said partner. I’ve seen it in our swindle with 2 guys in particular, they always have an excuse ready as to why they’ve got to get back home.

HeftyHacker

Visit site
I enjoy a halfway hut, Carnoustie being my favourite.

I guess using them is all part of the sociable side of golf. I was always taught many moons ago when I was a young buck learning the game playing Wimbledon Common, that being a member of a club wasn’t just about playing 18 holes of golf. It was much more than that.

It seems these days the newer generation of golfers always seem to be in a rush to play golf and have to get home to their wives/partners to keep them happy.

It’s almost as if they’re controlled by said partner. I’ve seen it in our swindle with 2 guys in particular, they always have an excuse ready as to why they’ve got to get back home.

Its nothing to do with control, its about having striking a balance. Why should my partner have to stay at home with our baby whilst I disappear for 6 hours at a weekend?

Golf is my release and I enjoy it. Frankly, walking around the course for 3 to 4 hours with my mates is a good amount of time to spend with them. I don't see the need to add any extra to the beginning, middle and end of that and would feel guilty doing so.

Perhaps when I've not got a young family I'll feel differently.

Perhaps the two lads in your swindle enjoy their partners company more than yours? ?‍♂️