Best GM meets and opportunities....a recap

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Don't think I can top the Highland Tour as outlined by Qwerty above but have had many great and memorable days, in fact they've all been great, even though my golf has at times been atrocious.

My introduction to Golf Monthly via a GM vs GM (Golf Magic when I was playing for the dark side) meet at Forest Pines where I learnt a hard lesson against Rickg; if you've got two putts on the 18th to win the match then take them, don't blast the first one by. :eek:

Whittington Heath and The Addington, just a couple of the many meets organised by that excellent fellow Smiffy.

H4H x 2, always a highlight of the golfing year.

Titleist ball fitting courtesy of GM at the Belfry with a round on The Brabazon, and I like the course!

The very recent Alwoodley meet as organised by the super efficient LiverBirchy Tours.

I can honestly say I can't remember a bad meet and have never met a knob at any of them, despite how some come across on the forum.... :)

rickg

Money List Winner
Visit site
Too many to mention but here goes anyway......

KOK at Camberley last year....despite losing on countback to Homer (he doesn't mention it much :whistle:) the 3 over gross round I shot off the whites in tough conditions was one of my best ever rounds.

The KOK final at Hillside.......great company, great course, crap golf.....
Wallasey with Val

HDID vs GM at Kenilworth.......apart from the longest drive hole on a dogleg!!!

Woodhall Spa, Whippersnappers vs Old gits, (or whatever it was called)....Bob's video was epic!

All the HFH meets, the great people that attend them and days before and the nights out!!!!!!

Playing Hartley Whitney with MikeH & Murph

Benross Be our Tour Pro event......Benross team are all mental!!

Woburn meet organised by Region3

Beau Desert and that opening drive from TimGolfy....

Ping Be your Best day at Gainsborough and meeting Amanda & Fairway Dodger amongst others.

Loads more...

Some great people on this forum....

bluewolf

Money List Winner
Visit site
Definitely the Ping Play your Best day at Gainsborough. The final day of the 2012 Ryder Cup, only popped into the Golf Club for an hour at 2 o clock to say hello to everyone and watch the final nails being hammered into the European teams coffin.

The GM expense account took a hammering that day. I don't know what time we rolled out, but it must have been about 2am ish and I vaguely remember staggering down the street with RickG, Paperboy and Philly169. The 8am breakfast and 8:30 tee time were a bit hazy, but still managed to get 2nd place...

Fish

Banned
Visit site
H4H Blackmoor 2012: I'd just joined the forum and it was my 1st ever meet and I only went and won it, loved the course, met loads of forumites that day and the rest is history as they say.

H4H West Hill 2013: What a great course, can't wait to go back and had a great night out before with a right load of reprobates :smirk:

H4H North Hants 2014: I was knobbled the night before, great turnout for the curry night though, nuff said...

Centurion 2014 & 15: Invitational Day playing with Rick, in 2014 we won it and this year we lost on count back, great course, great company and superb hospitality, this year we played alongside Liverpoolphil & Blue In Munich which is always a pleasure.

Blackmoor 2014: GM Team Comp, blind scores and we amassed 84 and won by a clear 4 shots (B-team :rofl:), great playing partner in Pokerjoke and we played alongside Liverpoolphil & Wookie, all top blokes. Our blind partners were D4S & Swinger.

I've arranged a few meets and its always been great to meet so many people off here, I've also travelled a lot to meets in all 4 corners of the country at Silloth, Formby/Hoylake, West Lancs, Wallasey, trips to Cooden Beach, Royal Porthcawl, Woodhall Spa, Burnham & Berrow & Beau Desert have all been great, unfortunately there's just too many to mention..but..the recent day at The Berkshire was amazing, what a course and set up.

I think in 2013 I played over 33 new courses in a year mainly through forum meets and invites on top of my own clubs fixture list, it doesn't get any better than that :cool:

Long may it continue..:thup:

philly169

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Definitely the Ping Play your Best day at Gainsborough. The final day of the 2012 Ryder Cup, only popped into the Golf Club for an hour at 2 o clock to say hello to everyone and watch the final nails being hammered into the European teams coffin.

The GM expense account took a hammering that day. I don't know what time we rolled out, but it must have been about 2am ish and I vaguely remember staggering down the street with RickG, Paperboy and Philly169. The 8am breakfast and 8:30 tee time were a bit hazy, but still managed to get 2nd place...

This was down I'm my top list too... It's amazing when you're that hungover and you manage to play the front 9 in +5, with a 6 par streak.. Fell apart when I started sobering up... Managed to hold on for the win though! PYB Final Champion.

First GM meet at Hanbury Manor for Centenary. Poor golf but great day.

First proper meet at Woburn, playing dukes and marquess. Great courses and would love to do again!

Woodhall Spa and carrying Jimbob for the first round to get into the final group on the second day.

HFH North hants and putting in a good performance and missing out on the trophy on count back. I still stand by the fact I didnt have a 7 iron with me, due to it snapping a week before, if I'd had it for my approach to 18 I'd have that trophy on my shelf!

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
April 2012. Wentworth.

Met up with Gibbo, cmac and jimbo someroooooo.

Greeted by the European tour truck for taylormade. Got fitted for some new adizero, got some balls hats etc. then we had the full tour of the truck and stories from the tour. Then into the fitting bays, trying not to kill the photographer who was braver than me!

Fitted for irons and woods. Then off to the tour truck with order slip in hand to watch the TM guys build my clubs!!

While the glue dried, lunch in the club house. Few pictures, Load the new clubs in the bag and off round the west course.

That was a pretty special day!

Also a putting lesson from David Howell. That was pretty awesome.

Both h4h days I have attended at west hill have been fantastic,

Also met some pretty decent chaps here! Think I have managed a game with around ten or so of you, maybe more!

Long may it continue and looking forward to h4h 2015!!!

Swinger

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The Hayling mini meets......golf and banter followed by curry and banter, does it get any better? The best ones are when Swinger wears his smartest outfits :thup:

I have to say Gordon I really have enjoyed all the mini meets down there, many thanks for arranging so many for people to get down there as it is well worth a visit. I'm pretty sure Nick is trying to take my mantle in the dress department as the last few times I've seen him he has been experimenting with a few different things!

Swinger

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Managed to be part of a good few meets and opportunities. I've mentioned the mini meets at Hayling Island which have been great fun and the other highlights have been -

Many rounds at Blackmoor, in several different formats. Richard has had me over several times, many thanks mate!

Benross be our tour pro day - over the moon to be selected for this and what an experience it was. The guys at Benross really did look after everything and the clubs were pretty good too!

Power play golf at the grove - nice day out checking 9 holes of The Grove out, for the record I have clarified with Mike that we were entitled to have more than one go at the putting comp. It's not my fault you guys don't listen!

Kings of Distance - great day out on GM and Callaway. Rob Lee was on good form for the day and really topped the day off for me. The driver was nice too and looking forward to this years.

H4H charity days - had great fun being part of the last 3 or 4 of these. Rick G and Rich do a great job of getting every penny they can out of us for a great cause and we all have a good day out in the meantime. Well done over the years guys sure there is many more to come.

There are some great opportunities on here to play with other members and some amazing things that GM put on too. I haven't done anything for a little while now, I guess they must be saving something really special for me!
I feel very lucky to have been a part of all the things on here. Cheers guys.

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
Where to start -

3 days stand out for me

1, being selected as runner up in the Ping "Play Your Best" day at Gainsborough, meeting Lee Westwood.
2, the New Golf Thinking day at The Grove, real eye opener and has certainly helped my game
3, Callaway Kings Of Distance day at Stoke Park Last year, just a brilliant day and looking forward to this year's one :)

The 3 H4H days have been superb great cause, great people involved, numerous times I've managed to meet up with fellow forumites for games during my many trips to and from daughters universities .

Just a great thing to be a part of :)

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site
-Scotland trip as Qwerty describes above....immense
-Ping play your best finals day with Lee Westwood at Gainsborough...which i won :)
-Being custom fit at Wentworth for an SLDR

Then after that i really cant separate all the meets.....be it KOK at Hillside, H4H at Northants, The numerous NW meets and order of merits, Silloth &Southerness etc etc. There is literally too many to count.

The reason i cant separate them is because its the people that make them, not neccessarily the courses. Lots of great friends made and plenty more to come.....Hard to believe that i have been on holiday with people who i met on the internet....

I often wonder if GM powers that be realise what they have created.....This forum has impacted my golfing life beyond what I ever imagined it would.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Just been so many good meets over time, whether they be full out meets with 50+ people or impromptu arranged 4 balls when someone is in an area and others sort a game out for them, to entering into pairs opens with another forumite. For me they are the best things with this forum and have had the pleasure to play with lots of great people at a variety of decent courses and have every intention to continue to do so, so thanks to every one who has taken the time to arrange a meet, whether small or large

DCB

Visit site
Think the first ever forum meet at Blairgowrie in 2008 was a great day. Great weather for the time of year and a great bunch of forumites attended. Twas the start of something special.

Add to that the three GM Ryder Cup matches at Goswick. Each one had slightly different numbers and diferent attendees, so it was a great way of meeting more of the people I'd only ever met online.

Castle Stuart / Nairn, April 2010, a great weekend with a full turnout of 60 people at Castle Stuart, most of whom went on to play Nairn the following day.

Hillside 2012, That was a great day out on a great course. Turned out it was my 100th new course, so not a bad day to reach that milestone.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Top of my list was the Yorkshire Ryder Cup Challenge, played across 3 courses. Ganton, Moortown & Lindrick. 2 nights accomm, meals etc.

Then West Hill with HFH, including the mad curry night before - the look on Kraxx's face when he came back from the loo to find the table empty and, potentially, picking up the bill was priceless.

Cooden Beach outing a couple of years back, shooting level par in damp and breezy conditions with 7 birdies.

HFH @ North Hants, and watching Neil Tappin boooooooming drive into another time zone.

2x Woodhall Spa visits, one as an Old Fart - watching Smiffy walk past with water running from his chin - probably one of the first to pull the plug and show some commonsense.

The recent trip to Glasgow Gailes, shooting 35pts in tough conditions to win the Race to Hillside qualifier.

Each outing has had a common denominator - fantastic people.

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
When I first joined back in 2009 I never imagined the amazing times that lay ahead.

I first met Rich Hart when he brought some friends down to Somerset to play Oak manor.
Myself and my dad took their £5 that day and since then all he has done has take my money.

HFH is my favourite meet of the year and what Rich and Rick do inspires me to part with
my cash every time.
The people I have met on these shindigs are all top guys and I class them all as friends,
over the years I have also met people that will be friends for life.

My first meet was at Ascot organised by Homer which I won off a 12 handicap,i cant tell
you how nervous I was on that first tee,how it went forward and more surprising on the green
I will never know.

Ive had great meets all over the country and have travelled many miles meeting great people
and as long as im able and can afford it I will continue to do so.

I love organising the Burnham and Berrow meet and hope in the future to arrange a big
meet down this way.

I wont name any names because I have so many that I would happily invite into my home
however I believe they all would know how much I respect there frienships.

Unfortunately as yet I have not been picked for an opportunity that money cant really buy
so fingers crossed for the future but to be honest for me the frienships are more important.

To have someone off the forum offer to spend hours with me on the range for nothing and
give me his knowledge of the game was special.

Long may this love affair continue and hopefully better things to come.

Fish

Banned
Visit site
When I first joined back in 2009 I never imagined the amazing times that lay ahead.

I first met Rich Hart when he brought some friends down to Somerset to play Oak manor.
Myself and my dad took their £5 that day and since then all he has done has take my money.

HFH is my favourite meet of the year and what Rich and Rick do inspires me to part with
my cash every time.
The people I have met on these shindigs are all top guys and I class them all as friends,
over the years I have also met people that will be friends for life.

My first meet was at Ascot organised by Homer which I won off a 12 handicap,i cant tell
you how nervous I was on that first tee,how it went forward and more surprising on the green
I will never know.

Ive had great meets all over the country and have travelled many miles meeting great people
and as long as im able and can afford it I will continue to do so.

I love organising the Burnham and Berrow meet and hope in the future to arrange a big
meet down this way.

I wont name any names because I have so many that I would happily invite into my home
however I believe they all would know how much I respect there frienships.

Unfortunately as yet I have not been picked for an opportunity that money cant really buy
so fingers crossed for the future but to be honest for me the frienships are more important.

To have someone off the forum offer to spend hours with me on the range for nothing and
give me his knowledge of the game was special.

Long may this love affair continue and hopefully better things to come.

I'm filling up cry.gif

:smirk:

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
Ping for me - playing with Dave was the best result - closely followed by Tom Lewis :)

I did offer Tom a short game lesson when I chipped in and he didn't...apparently his lie was dodgy!!

2013-10-01 10.27.45.jpgAJ and Tom.jpg

Also loved playing Dukes and Duchess at Woburn and again had just the best playing partners in El Bandito and Fundy (til he was crocked!), plus of course David (HID)...

I don't do enough meets - must try harder!

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
I have played in so many now. From Woodhall Spa, Saunton, Royal St Georges and all points in between. Even had a game with Dave (Virtuocity) at Carnoustie.

Really enjoyed the ones I have been involved in organizing, especially the H4H days with Rick. The support for all the days has been brilliant, and is the main reason I keep coming on here.

A special mention for Paul (PNWokingham). Bearwood Lakes has become my second home, and I really hope he makes a quick recovery, and is out on the course slashing it around soon.:thup:

Not had any GM opportunities, but I think they are saving a 'big one' for me.;)

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Had a few now but first was a hut special at Machrihanish, followed that up with a second and both were superb 2 night affairs.

The highland trip was epic and a royal Dornoch was a stunning golf course

Played tonnes in the north of England now with the NW crew and each superb, from our OOM finals days to the meets at Alwoodley and Formby to name recent ones but there are many more.

Looking forward to HFH this year and a chance to meet many more forumers this year, and hopefully get a few more Scottish meets sorted.

quinn

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Too many to mention but here goes anyway......

KOK at Camberley last year....despite losing on countback to Homer (he doesn't mention it much :whistle:) the 3 over gross round I shot off the whites in tough conditions was one of my best ever rounds.

The KOK final at Hillside.......great company, great course, crap golf.....
Wallasey with Val

HDID vs GM at Kenilworth.......apart from the longest drive hole on a dogleg!!!

Woodhall Spa, Whippersnappers vs Old gits, (or whatever it was called)....Bob's video was epic!

All the HFH meets, the great people that attend them and days before and the nights out!!!!!!

Playing Hartley Whitney with MikeH & Murph

Benross Be our Tour Pro event......Benross team are all mental!!

Woburn meet organised by Region3

Beau Desert and that opening drive from TimGolfy....

Ping Be your Best day at Gainsborough and meeting Amanda & Fairway Dodger amongst others.

Loads more...

Some great people on this forum....

Remember kenilworth, you were a foot off the fairway, robbed on the last aswell,

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
How could I forget to mention The Irish Craic Classic last year
Great bunch of guys, fabulous courses and many happy pints
Decent weather too:)
And I got to meet Bob (the palendromic one)- I'm still having therapy :)
image.jpg

:)