Best GM meets and opportunities....a recap

virtuocity

Tour Winner
Visit site
What were your favourite forum meets and/or opportunities of all time?

For me (in no order):

GM Britain's Best Putter

For someone playing off 24 at the time, I laughed when I received my email invite. A great day at Hagg's castle, trying out a number of Odyssey putters and reaching the dizzy heights of the 2nd round. Met a number of forumers and played 18 holes with Bigslice and Farneyman (who got through to the national final despite not being British) who taught me a lot about the game and were great company.

GM/Ping Day

An awesome night with chrisd, pieman, MikeH and loads of others in the pub. Next day at Gainsborough, played with Amanda, Grumps and, amazingly, Tom Lewis. Really enjoyed the course, but was struggling all day, fighting hard to even make contact with the ball. Was still a great experience just to watch Tom Lewis play but highlight of the day for me was watching Amanda chipping in on the first hole. I did manage to match Tom's score.... on one hole.

Meeting williamalex1

Don't actually remember our first game, but over a few years have always looked forward to playing with him and his ex-Scotland international mate, willieP. As lovely a guy you'll ever meet, a horrendous opponent and a frustrating purveyor of straight drives.

King of Kings

Was great to take the lead on this comp, even though it was stressful. A great day at St Andrews New meeting a number of great guys, especially my playing partners. Highlight was me and IanG putting 50ft (probably 30, but growing by the day) putts to tap-in distances. Then, Hillside final. Day before spent in the awesome company of Scouser and Stu at Lee Park. Really great company. Night before saw me meet some nutters, including Fish, rickG and oxfordcomma, going for a few drinks, a curry, jaegermeister then home. Hillside day was too tiring for me, personally. May have been the late night or the 5.5 hour round, but was good fun all the same. Was gubbed for days but worth it following a number of messages indicating how much people enjoyed it. MikeH got us a great deal, but the comp wouldn't have been anywhere near decent without the hard work put in by the regional organisers. Won't forget Jimbob missing the Arctic Monkeys, nor Liverbirdie's great round.

29 hours at the range with Justone

Remember that thread? Ha! Had a great day with James learning about the golf swing, and I learned a lot. Saw him drive over the end of the range, which was fun. It wasn't a coincidence that I dropped 11 shots the next year.

Over to you, folks.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
New Golf Thinking - Great morning session with John O'Keeffe and then play the Grove.

GM Centenary Final - cracking comp in regions and grand final at Forest of Arden. Great company the night before in the bar and on the course

King Of Kings Regional Qualifier 2014 - Camberley Heath. Played some of my best golf for a long time on a decent course

H4H - West Hill and North Hants - cracking days and a joy to meet so many forum faces. Great time, superbly organised from start to finish and money going to a good cause

D

Deleted member 15344

Every meet so far i have played at has been superb

1. H4H North Hants and the round before and after were superb - played with lads from all across the country and was a cracking 3 days with a great bunch of lads

2. Blackmoor - Society challenge last year - think there was 16 of us in total - first met Pokerjoke and have forged a very good friendship and we have planned a fair number of events in the future

3. Littlestone and RCP - Great first day with Richart, Chrisd and Blue In Munich - cracking course and hospitality from the club - the evening meal in the pub with Pieman and Blundell providing the entertainment and then onto RCP with my first Forum victory on a cracking course with cracking guys

4. Both meets at The Berkshire - brilliant course , brilliant food and great company again

5. Blackmoor - this year in the race to Hillside - perfect weather - having a 2 over gross round to win and beat Homer will always be a memorable win :whoo:

6 Alwoodly - lovely course and i hope to go back up - all the Northern Crew are a great bunch of lads and Stu and Dave were a joy to play with - some cracking stories , good honest debate about the world and football.

And i have to add the various times that Rick has hosted myslef and other members at his wonderful course - along with rich they are both a massive credit to this forum and both brilliant lads that i hope to play many more rounds of golf in the future with along with lads like D4S , Fish , Sawtooth , Chrisd , Therod - plus many more - every single person i have met from him has been a top lad and would have a round with them anytime in the future.

D

Deleted Member 1156

The Hayling mini meets......golf and banter followed by curry and banter, does it get any better? The best ones are when Swinger wears his smartest outfits :thup:

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Eng v Scotland. Every one was 2 great days of golf and beer fueled banter. Rare to get the chance to meet so many forumers, especially the scottish lads.

Help 4 Heroes 2 and the chance to play with Timgolfy. Then every one thereafter.

Next Friday hopefully

D

Deleted Member 1156

Can't say I was bothered. Surprised I played as well as I did and as I've always said I can only control my own score. You desire and gloating says more about you

It's banter Martin.....and it's the weekend.

Relax and enjoy :thup:

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
A 5 hole scramble at Bearwood Lakes with Howeller and MikeH + a guy from Nevada Bobs.
4 teams Captained by Howeller, Stensen, Kjeldsen and Mr Miguel Angel Jiminez!!
And we won!

Callaway fitting at Wentworth for the 2014 Big Bertha including being filmed for Sky European Tour coverage adverts plus a clinic with Joe Miller - just the best of days!

Callaway Kings of Distance at Stoke Park - another fantastic day.

PowerPlay at the Grove - didnt like the format but it was a good experience.

The many meets and the H4H events - quality!

Wonder why I joined.....?

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
GM/Ping ProAm was fabulous and the evening before with the GM guys Virtuocity, Pieman and Mattyboy etc was priceless as was Matt Nixon the next day

Kings of Distance was great last year, especially winning a new driver

H4H was my best ever win and West Hill one of my favourite ever courses, North Hants and Blackmoor have been fabulous too.

I've enjoyed Camberley, Cooden, Royal St George's, Royal Cinque Ports , Woburn and loads of other fun meets with great people. Anyone who hasn't done a meet is really missing out on some great courses with some smashing people

upsidedown

Tour Winner
Visit site
Beau Desert as organised by Fish last year, great course and met some top Forummers.

Hillside 2014 , was a challenging day but really enjoyed it and can't wait to play it this year.

Coventry 2015 , another Fish masterpiece, caught up with old faces and met new ones and the club couldn't do enough for us , the 39 points was nice :D

mcbroon

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
St Andrews New for King of Kings was great, and met some cracking guys. Those two putts of Virtuocity's and IanG's were epic!

Had a lovely day out at North Berwick with Fairway Dodger, IanG and Wayman.

This year's Race to Hillside at Glasgow Gailes was brilliant - played with good guys again and had to fight the hailstones, which made it interesting. Highlight was three of us draining putts on the last without looking because the hail was hurting our faces. Gotta love golf in Scotland :cool:

But the best of the lot was last year's H4H weekend. Blackmoor on the Sunday and the North Hants on the Monday, with a cracking night out in between. 2 glorious days, 2 lovely courses, half a dozen excellent playing partners, a whole bunch of other great guys and even a little bit of decent golf here and there. Managed to get my pic in the magazine, too :) It's a long way to go for a game but it was absolutely worth it.

Farneyman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Echo Dave on the Britain's Best Putter day at Haggs Castle. Managed to get a new putter and free round at The PGA at the Belfry out of it...and the title of Britain's Best Irish Putter 2013!

Oxfordcomma

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
3. Littlestone and RCP ... the evening meal in the pub with Pieman and Blundell providing the entertainment ...

That evening does stand out in the memory, certainly :D.

In chronological order though, for me:
1) My first meet, Fish organized it at Tadmarton Heath. FREEZING! Certainly below zero all day, greens were frozen so solid and so deep the club wasn't fussing about temps. But it got me hooked, been going to as many meets as I can since then.

2) Benross fitting. I was bouncing around anyway just for being selected, I already had some Benross clubs in the bag (one of which I bought on here from Region3, with one of my first ever posts). Then when we get there (snaphookwedge, therod and me) expecting to be fitted for driver, fairway and hybrid, Scott from Benross (Austin) says "shall we do irons too? And a bag, you'll need a bag." All of a sudden we're being fitted for a full set! Almost all of which is still in use, I have to say. Or on its way to Ayrshire.

3) H4H last year. First of all the night before, in pub and curry house, what a turnout and what an evening. Then the day itself, 3 putting the last, thinking I'd mucked up my chances, then the (very) slow realisation that actually, dear lord, no I hadn't.

4) The aforementioned Royal Cinque Ports day. Played Princes the day before with Pieman and Blundell then a great night in the pub with the lovely Dolly. Followed by RCP which is easily my favourite course ever at the moment!

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Both north west order of merit finals days were great. The first one because I piped gjbike in a tense battle down the stretch. Wallasey was just a great days golf in beautiful weather which pete won with a smashing under par round. Hard to knock that.

Trip to silloth and southness was good fun too. No course has beat me around the head for the full 18 holes like southerness. I loved every painful minute of it. Such a golfing challenge.

stevek1969

Money List Winner
Visit site
R11 Fitting at Wentworth was cracking day, with Paul McGinley a truely genuine guy.

First meet at Muckhart was superb a cracking gem of a course even tho most of the lads are not on here i'm still in contact with them.

Best meet was Machrihanish drove a 400 mile round trip but well worth it even tho i smacked my first drive out of bounds on a fairway wider than the 1st at St Andrews:thup:

Farneyman

Tour Winner
Visit site
R11 Fitting at Wentworth was cracking day, with Paul McGinley a truely genuine guy.

First meet at Muckhart was superb a cracking gem of a course even tho most of the lads are not on here i'm still in contact with them.

Best meet was Machrihanish drove a 400 mile round trip but well worth it even tho i smacked my first drive out of bounds on a fairway wider than the 1st at St Andrews:thup:

All the trips round have been great and especially now they have renames that road after you :p

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
My first trip to East Brighton, coming back home on +1 gross helped :D

Any trip to Blackmoor or Brockenhurst Manor, love both those courses!

Qwerty

Tour Winner
Visit site
Loads of good meets and memories over the last few years but head and shoulders above the rest has to be last years trip to the Highlands.

It really was the golfing trip of a lifetime and Birchy & Liverbirdie did an unbelievable job putting it together.

it wasn't just about the golf, the nights at the ranch after the days golf were great, drinking and playing pool, and some even had a dip in the swimming pool, chewing the fat and having a laugh and listening to LBs power ballads ;)
The ranch was great :thup:

1732be3068319351a6d834692fcd319e_zpss2kpkko9.jpg

The golf though was world class..

We started at the beautiful Blairgowrie hosted by Toad. After an eventful night out we moved on to the ranch the following day then Castle Stuart.
A good night out with 30 of us in Inverness followed.

The Next day was Royal Dornoch, absolutely stunning!
Beers and a Chilli at the ranch followed by Nairn the day after that.

After feeling like Id hit the wall we had 36 the Following day,we marched on to the beautiful Tain, What a gem! then we followed it up with a round at Fortrose and Rosemarkie, all set on a peninsula in the Moray Firth with Dolphins crashing out alongside the course.
The last day saw us at the stunning Boat of Garten before heading home.

Some of the best courses in the World played in sunshine every day in a beautiful part of the world with great company.

It doesn't get much better :cheers:

Last edited: