Benross

Oldham92

Hacker
Visit site
Been staring at the HTX compressor 3 wood on AG website for £29. My current RBZ stage 2 goes for miles but still tempted!

Wolf

Visit site
Got to admit I keep looking at the new driver and 3 wood range.

Always hear good things about the brand, our club is a registered stockist for them and they look nice clubs. Plus with the big OEM getting dearer and dearer I think there's a big place for a brand like Benross going forward at more affordable pricing with good quality

Wolf

Visit site
Thought I'd revive this as today I popped into AG on way home From work to use the range, when I got there they had a Benross day on. Think they're having a push on gear to sell last seasons stock ready for the new Benross Delta range.

Had a little go with some of the kit just so I could get a go on Flightscope monitor. I must say I was quite impressed. Had a go of the HTX Compressor irons and the Type R irons (7 irons only) as well as the Evolution R driver.

Results were pretty damn good, with both irons was getting a good smash factor, and clubhead speed but felt a little to light to with the 90g shaft, so fitter gave me sames clubs but with a 105G shaft, clubhead speed dropped a little on average but, smash factor improved further, they felt seriously good off the face, yes they're a little harder but I quite like that, so despite the slightly lower clubhead speed, I had improved flight, spin and distance numbers. Which were actually even better than what I had got with my own clubs when I had them fitted but that could be due to i had only just started playing again when I got fitted.

Moved on to Driver to this is where it got funky. Have to say loved the looked of the slightly smaller 450cc head. They gave me the driver in stock reg fit and settings and could not hit the thing at all, had absolutely no control of it whatsoever, spin numbers way to high no matter if I had it set neutral, draw or fade, or loft changes, it looked good but I couldn't get it working. Felt a little dejected if I'm honest as even though I don't need a new driver, I wanted to like it as loved the look of it. So fitter gave me the club back but this time with a Stiff shaft, neutral weight setting and in 10.5 degrees. What a difference a shaft makes hitting it out the middle all my numbers aligned and was averaging 259yds (still not forum averages, but good for me) carry which is way up on my Cobra driver which I get about 235-240yds from and was happy with.

Safe to say I've come away from AG with some food for thought when all I meant to do was go and hit a few balls. I know Benross aren't a cool brand but they fit my budget and am seriously considering the Driver as an option. Our club pro is a licensed fitter so may have to have a session with him trying it out further and at that price I could keep the Cobra as a spare 🤔.

Last edited:

Oldham92

Hacker
Visit site
Thought I'd revive this as today I popped into AG on way home From work to use the range, when I got there they had a Benross day on. Think they're having a push on gear to sell last seasons stock ready for the new Benross Delta range.

Had a little go with some of the kit just so I could get a go on Flightscope monitor. I must say I was quite impressed. Had a go of the HTX Compressor irons and the Type R irons (7 irons only) as well as the Evolution R driver.

Results were pretty damn good, with both irons was getting a good smash factor, and clubhead speed but felt a little to light to with the 90g shaft, so fitter gave me sames clubs but with a 105G shaft, clubhead speed dropped a little on average but, smash factor improved further, they felt seriously good off the face, yes they're a little harder but I quite like that, so despite the slightly lower clubhead speed, I had improved flight, spin and distance numbers. Which were actually even better than what I had got with my own clubs when I had them fitted but that could be due to i had only just started playing again when I got fitted.

Moved on to Driver to this is where it got funky. Have to say loved the looked of the slightly smaller 450cc head. They gave me the driver in stock reg fit and settings and could not hit the thing at all, had absolutely no control of it whatsoever, spin numbers way to high no matter if I had it set neutral, draw or fade, or loft changes, it looked good but I couldn't get it working. Felt a little dejected if I'm honest as even though I don't need a new driver, I wanted to like it as loved the look of it. So fitter gave me the club back but this time with a Stiff shaft, neutral weight setting and in 10.5 degrees. What a difference a shaft makes hitting it out the middle all my numbers aligned and was averaging 259yds (still it forum averages,l but good for me) carry which is way up on my Cobra driver which I get about 2350-240yds from and was happy with.

Safe to say I've come away from AG with some food for thought when all I meant to do was go and hit a few balls. I know Benross aren't a cool brand but they fit my budget and am seriously considering the Driver as an option. Our club pro is a licensed fitter so may have to have a session with him trying it out further and at that price I could keep the Cobra as a spare 🤔.

Been eyeing up the irons myself!

Wolf

Visit site
Been eyeing up the irons myself!
Have to admit I was seriously impressed with them, felt good off the face and if I were considering new irons they would be in my radar, as I have to fit everything into a budget, just can't justify the prices clubs are new when I have 6 kids to feed.

I loved the driver so will be speaking to our Pro tomorrow for another go at the club range see if the numbers stack up again.

What irons you looking at.

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
Wolf, you did better than I. I was unable to find an AG or other outlet with any stock or demos, so ended up buying a fitting club off the bay. Actually quite a nice way to try, took it to a launch monitor, a top tracer range, and on the course. Was the type R. Ended up coming across a great deal on the Evolution R irons and although hadn't hit them they are a head size closer to what I am used to, so took a punt. I like how they look as well (obviously a personal thing).
MDR gap wedge now on route also.
I didn't really need to move, but just fancied a change. Something to give that extra nudge to put in more practice time ahead of season.

Sats

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I used to have a RIP speed Hybrid - alidia Tour Blue shaft, golf pride grip lovely looking club for £15 second hand changed because it got stolen along with my previous clubs.
Must admit the newer Benross clubs haven't suited my eye - this has always been my issue with PING irons beforehand (Though Ping have made leaps and bounds looks wise in recent years.)

I do agree with brand snobbery to an extent; my bag is based on what is in my pro shop - They used to stock Mizuno (hence my irons) then went to Callaway - hence the majority of my bag. The only club I searched for was my Bettinardi.

Oldham92

Hacker
Visit site
Have to admit I was seriously impressed with them, felt good off the face and if I were considering new irons they would be in my radar, as I have to fit everything into a budget, just can't justify the prices clubs are new when I have 6 kids to feed.

I loved the driver so will be speaking to our Pro tomorrow for another go at the club range see if the numbers stack up again.

What irons you looking at.

Type R.

£200 ish on clubhouse golf

Wolf

Visit site
Wolf, you did better than I. I was unable to find an AG or other outlet with any stock or demos, so ended up buying a fitting club off the bay. Actually quite a nice way to try, took it to a launch monitor, a top tracer range, and on the course. Was the type R. Ended up coming across a great deal on the Evolution R irons and although hadn't hit them they are a head size closer to what I am used to, so took a punt. I like how they look as well (obviously a personal thing).
MDR gap wedge now on route also.
I didn't really need to move, but just fancied a change. Something to give that extra nudge to put in more practice time ahead of season.
Was more pure luck to be honest as had no intention of it just happened to an event on when I went to range, so thought I'd give them a go. I really Like the Type R irons look and feel, if my clubs weren't only 4 months old I'd be very tempted to get some.

Think the budget of them and quality was brilliant, but I've just booked in with my Pro for a go on the monitor and try out the driver with the stiff shaft again.

hairball_89

Club Champion
Visit site
I have the HTX type R irons from a few years ago, they're fab. I've got 4-PW, and just bought the MDR wedges in 50º and 56º to replace the slightly mismatched gap and sand wedge I had, which are benross but from a different set. Very much looking forward to their arrival!

Oldham92

Hacker
Visit site
I have the HTX type R irons from a few years ago, they're fab. I've got 4-PW, and just bought the MDR wedges in 50º and 56º to replace the slightly mismatched gap and sand wedge I had, which are benross but from a different set. Very much looking forward to their arrival!

I'm considering an MDR 60, but might wait until the new ones come out.

Oldham92

Hacker
Visit site
To revive this, got a 60° wedge from the new Rev range before my round today. Obviously only used for one round but impressed so far. Decent around the greens.

hairball_89

Club Champion
Visit site
Have to say I'm loving the MDR 50º and 56º i bought recently, so if the new Rev line up are an improvement on those then I'll definitely be eyeing up the 60º rev in the not to distant future!

Love the look of the new Delta irons too. Must. Keep. Away. From. Shops.

Oldham92

Hacker
Visit site
1st shot was a 20 yard chip in from a horrible lie in the rough. Came close to 2 more. Feels great around the green, didn't use it further out than about 20 yards as I don't know what my range would be with it yet