Benross

Oldham92

Hacker
Visit site
Bought myself a bargain Benross HTX Compressor Type R driver for £25 brand new to try a stiff flex at the weekend because I was having a nightmare with my regular flex TM driver, and the difference is incredible (I know there could just be the new club effect but I've used it 3 times and it's been consistent). Extra distance and consistency straight away, and way more forgiving on bad strikes. Surprising because the driver only retails for £199 so I didn't expect much. Was thinking it may be worth looking at Benross for the next time I need any other new club.

So has anyone got any experience of them? Are they generally good quality or would I be better off with a bigger name brand? Or is it just the drivers that are useful? Or is it the components like the Kurokage shaft that make the difference on the driver?

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
They are a perfectly sound company. The heads are cast in the same foundries as a lot of the bigger names, they use good quality shafts & grips, they don't pay a fortune for pro endorsements or advertising and consequently the prices are quite reasonable.

Oldham92

Hacker
Visit site
They are a perfectly sound company. The heads are cast in the same foundries as a lot of the bigger names, they use good quality shafts & grips, they don't pay a fortune for pro endorsements or advertising and consequently the prices are quite reasonable.

So why does it seem like hardly any players use their clubs then? Is it people wanting to have the big name?

Pin-seeker

Visit site
You’ll get everyone telling you how good Benross clubs are,but I doubt many test & seriously consider purchasing when getting new clubs.
I guess paying the top players a fortune really does work 🤷‍♂️

D

Deleted member 15344

So why does it seem like hardly any players use their clubs then? Is it people wanting to have the big name?

Not many pro shops will stock them so they won’t be in many peoples thoughts when looking to buy new clubs and I can’t remember seeing them in our nearest AG

I play with a couple guys who use them but because they are not mass market , not in the limelight as such then people won’t buy them

Reemul

Head Pro
Visit site
I have a set of Benross HTX Irons, 5-pw with the 50 and 56 wedges as well. In the 20 years i have been playing I have hit and bought plenty of different irons from all the leading brands. These are as good as any others I have owned.

Lots of people want the biggest and best and associate best with price. Really it's like Cars, more and more people associate driving a BMW, Audi or Mecedes as a way of showing you have made it or are better than mere mortals and the same goes for golf clubs.

That saying all the gear no idea has been round forever and still runs true for many people :)

Jamesbrown

Head Pro
Visit site
They get good reviews, but most people are brand snobs. Me included.
I’d buy a Benross driver but wouldn’t want my ego, false sense of pride or genitalia to shrink.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Two of my mates play the rip speed 2 irons. one of 5 and the other off 16.

They are easy to hit and long with strong lofts.

DeanoMK

Club Champion
Visit site
Used to have a set of Benross irons. Still have a 5 wood and 3 hybrid that have been in my bag for years and are my favourite clubs to hit.

I picked up the Evolution R Driver last week for £41.99 after trading in my old driver, moving from a regular to stiff shaft too.

I'm a big advocate of Benross, and as has been mentioned, a major factor for more people not using them is brand snobbery. Most of the people shooting them down have probably never tried any of their clubs.

Oldham92

Hacker
Visit site
Used to have a set of Benross irons. Still have a 5 wood and 3 hybrid that have been in my bag for years and are my favourite clubs to hit.

I picked up the Evolution R Driver last week for £41.99 after trading in my old driver, moving from a regular to stiff shaft too.

I'm a big advocate of Benross, and as has been mentioned, a major factor for more people not using them is brand snobbery. Most of the people shooting them down have probably never tried any of their clubs.

How is the Evolution R?

Oldham92

Hacker
Visit site
I have a set of Benross HTX Irons, 5-pw with the 50 and 56 wedges as well. In the 20 years i have been playing I have hit and bought plenty of different irons from all the leading brands. These are as good as any others I have owned.

Lots of people want the biggest and best and associate best with price. Really it's like Cars, more and more people associate driving a BMW, Audi or Mecedes as a way of showing you have made it or are better than mere mortals and the same goes for golf clubs.

That saying all the gear no idea has been round forever and still runs true for many people :)

The driver actually seems better than most of what's you could buy for the £199 rrp though so probably fancier gear with no idea 😂

shortgame

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Yeah was quite shocked to see it but £25 in AG at Trafford centre. Still in the wrapper. Looks like clearing stock for the new Evolution R. Absolute bargain for me
Absolutely. Having already had 3 good rounds with it you've already had value for your money!! :cool:

hairball_89

Club Champion
Visit site
As per my signature, I have a full bag of benross clubs. The bag is benross too! Love them. Great clubs to hit. Both sets I've owned have been fab. As is shown by the prices being talked about in the thread - £25-40 for the all but current driver - they have next to zero second hand market value. But... They're made to be hit. And they're bloody good at it.

Oldham92

Hacker
Visit site
As per my signature, I have a full bag of benross clubs. The bag is benross too! Love them. Great clubs to hit. Both sets I've owned have been fab. As is shown by the prices being talked about in the thread - £25-40 for the all but current driver - they have next to zero second hand market value. But... They're made to be hit. And they're bloody good at it.

Would definitely recommend trying the Type R driver then!

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I had a fitting for that same driver and took my Ping Driver along to compare, it was a outside range so it was a good test,the Benross came out better of the two so I purchased it.

At the time they had what was called the Benross challenge which was to challenge players to come and test their driver against the Benross that's how confident they were about their product.

They have good quality components and are very competitively priced.

Last edited:

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I have played Benross in the past (VX 51 forged) but sadly they were not on my radar last irons change because they have dropped the clubs at aimed at lower handicap players from their range.

Last time I went to one of their fitting days (this year) I tried out their hybrids HTX Compressor Gold and they were every bit as good as any I have tried but at much lower prices.