Belfry Fitting Results - More Decisions

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
WARNING - Long post. Please turn away now if you're easily bored :eek:

As I mentioned in another thread I was going to The Belfry today to be fitted for a Driver, and hopefully if time allowed, a 3 wood, and possibly a Mizuno MP Fli-Hi.

I didn't want to risk being late so I left plenty of time to get there and it took 15 minutes less than Google maps said it would so I was there about 45 minutes early.
I had a walk towards the course and stood near the 10th tee to have a look because I'd never been there before.
I guess it's different with a club in hand, but I'd definitely have a go at the green. It doesn't look as bad as I imagined it.

Walked in to the fitting centre early as I'd been told on the phone when I booked to turn up 15 minutes early and they'd give me some balls to warm up with. They wanted to sell me some balls so I declined on principal. That might have turned out to be a mistake

I was still waiting for my turn 20 minutes after my appointment time so that and the balls wasn't the best of starts but it gave me some confidence that they'd be thorough, as he was still dealing with his last appointment.

Into the bay (more like a room with an open front) and hit about 5 drives with my own club as a benchmark. This was when I wished I'd warmed up as there was a couple of stinkers in there.

He then explained in detail what all the numbers meant, and where he was going to try to get them to with different shafts. The shaft flex was ok, but he thought it was a little heavy, too stiff in the tip which was contributing to my low launch angle, and too much or too little torque. Can't remember which but it was leaving the face open.

Figs...
Launch angle ~10 degrees
Backspin ~2k rpm
Carry ~220yds

Then came the messing about with different heads and shafts, and because I didn't want any pre-conceived ideas to cloud my judgement I purposely didn't take any notice of what I was hitting. I could tell what make club I had from looking down on the head, but I didn't look at the loft or type of shaft.
It was purely let the fitter give me different clubs and hit them.

I hit a few different configurations of 910D2, a G15, and a new Nike club. I don't know what model it was but he said they'd only came in today and I was the first to try it.
I'm glad the Nike wasn't the best because it made an awful noise!

The best combination in the end was the 10.5 degree 910D2 with a stiff Project-X shaft, with the club on the A4 setting which is neutral and +1.5 degrees of loft so it was actually 12 degrees when I was using it.

There was a shaft (don't know what it was, but it was red) that gave me a slightly better feeling on the hits, but the fitter thought the torque was slightly wrong as it was going more left, and it was about on the limit for stiffness so if I ever went after one I'd run more risk of losing control.

The final figures with that combination were...
Launch angle ~14 degrees
Backspin ~2,700rpm
Carry ~240yds

Very happy with the distance because the range balls looked like they'd seen better days and there was a fairly stiff breeze coming in from about 2 o'clock.

Club speed and ball speed stayed pretty much the same I think at about 103 & high 140's. The extra distance came purely from getting a better flight on the ball. I'd lost about 4mph on my ss since I was originally fitted but I expected that because I've calmed my swing down a bit since then and try to hit it easy now.

The dispersion on the 910 was also about half of what it was with any of the other clubs.

I then tried the 910 3 wood. He thought the Project-X shaft would again suit best but since they're not officially released yet (he said, the 910F) he didn't have one so picked what he thought was the closest he had to it. Even with the same setting as the driver ie. +1.5 degrees I was hitting the ball too low. They were going about 220yds though so happy with that too.

I mentioned I was thinking about swapping 3 wood and 2 hybrid for something inbetween the 2 yardage wise, so he gave me a 17 degree 910F to try, again +1.5 degrees so it played 18.5
Result : lovely flight and 230yds :eek:

I think it's a no brainer which fairway wood I'm going to order!
Obviously hardly any roll though so the driver stays for now.

My time was sort of up, but I didn't feel bad asking to try an 18 degree (2 iron) MP Fli-Hi since I started 20 minutes late.

Spanner in the works time!
Even though it had an S300 shaft and I prefer Project-X in my irons I hit it lovely. The LM had already been turned off but I wasn't too bothered about the numbers with this, it was just whether or not I got on with it, and I did.

It looked a bit chunkier than I expected it to, you can see the thick sole sticking out the back at address, but nowhere near as bad (for me at least) as looking down at a hybrid club.

So as I said in the title, decisions to be made.

The driver and fairway wood I'm certain about, but in my mind I was thinking that the 4 wood would be shorter than the 3 so I could lose the hybrid, go straight to 3 iron and keep all my wedges.

Now I don't know whether to get the 2 iron to fill the gap and make the choice each round about which club to leave in the boot, or get the MP Fli-Hi 3 iron instead of my own 3 iron so I only have 14 clubs but have a yardage gap (albeit smaller than now because the MP 3 should go further than mine) at the long end.

Or something else.

I thought these fittings were supposed to make life easier

Sorry again for the long post. If you've stayed with it thank you and treat yourself to a jelly bean :)

You wouldn't think I struggled at school to fill my quota of words in English essays!

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Interesting read.

Glad the driver went well - I keep looking longingly at them in the shops.

I guess to mnake the choice you need to know how far all your clubs go. Then you can make a choice. The 4 wood at 230 yards is a good allrounder. Brings par 5's into range in 2 and would be a strong club off the tee.

Having a similar dilemma myself. Do I get a 3,5 wood + 21 hybrid + Fli-Hi24 and drop a wedge or leave it as is. I sometimes feel a bit light at the top end of the bag but I like the choice of wedges.......

stevek1969

Money List Winner
Visit site
A good read Region ,i'm glad you found something you like and good figures as well,the best thing we did was hit 15 to 20 balls with a 6 iron first to get warmed up properly.

Its a bit of an eye opener actually seeing how far you hit it did they use a trackman ,its some piece of kit.After my fitting i was a very happy bunny with the results even tho i didn't hit it as good as i know i can as i was nervous as hell,just can't wait for it to arrive now and get on the course with it.

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
<u>Imurg.</u>
Feel the same, although I'm happier trying to adjust the swing on a short club to get the right distance than I am with a long club.
I really should leave the lob wedge out but once every round or two it will be by far the best club for the job, as well as it's other uses.
To the best of my knowledge
New 4w - 230
2h - 215
3i - 200

I guess the MP 2i would come in around the same as my 2h, and the MP 3i about 205-210

Now I've seen it written down it looks even more like I should lose a wedge. I just feel that there's too much bounce on my 56 to open it up much except for in bunkers.

What do you think you'll end up doing?

<u>Steve.</u>
I doubly wish I'd hit some irons because I've just had them soft stepped and put new grips on and haven't hit them yet!

The LM I think was called Flightscope?
It was a radar type, so it was the actual ball that was measured not a software extrapolation from initial angle, velocity and spin. That's why I'm not worried I was a bit shorter than I thought because the temperature and wind were accounted for.

It's funny how not having a specific goal for a shot makes you focus on not nobbing it along the ground with a fitter watching

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
im glad to see another fan of the 910!

I'm sure the shaft had a lot to do with it, but yes, definitely a fan.

Plus if I learn to hit the ball higher naturally I can lower the loft down to as low as 9.75

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
Hmmm....

For me it's about which club you will feel comfortable hitting and forget the yardages to a degree until you get down to playing off 2-3 h/cap. You want to pull something from the bag and know that everytime you hit it you will get at least 90+% of it's potential ball flight out of it. Job done.

I like driver/4w/5w combo simply on the basis that I haven't found a hybrid that I like the look of behind the ball. I'm not sure why anyone needs to carry a 3-iron any more... and just talking about a 2-iron makes me feel like we're back in the 1980's :)

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Hmmm, could do Rick but I like having enough bounce for bunkers and little enough for hitting the ball high off a bare lie.
Food for thought.

James, it's not like a real 2 iron. Well, I suppose it is, but there's a lot of material in the sole which made it easier (for me) to hit than a hybrid (because I don't like the look of them).
Even with a shaft I'm not particularly keen on it went very well.

Are your 4w and 5w that different that it makes it worth carrying them both?
Are they for different yardages or different types of shot?

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
glad it went well Region, I assume you'd recommend them? How broad was the range of shaft options for the 910, just the stock options or did they have the upcharge ones too?

one quick question with the gap between 4 wood and longest iron, did you not consider the 910 hybrid? surely with the adjustable it would give you a bit more flex and enable you close the gap properly?

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
Are your 4w and 5w that different that it makes it worth carrying them both?
Are they for different yardages or different types of shot?

In the fantasy world I like to live in I feel like the 4-wood is my 240-260 club and the 5-wood is a comfy 210-230. The 5-wood lands softer, the 4-wood is much more of a 17° chaser. I felt that I put too much empasis on hitting my 3-wood as far as my driver that I didn't really need it any more. Maybe if I was playing 7,200yrd courses off the slabs for a living then the 3-wood might make it back in the bag to bring 600yrs par 5's into reach... hardly going to happen in Sussex :(

Imurg

Visit site
<u>Imurg.</u>
Feel the same, although I'm happier trying to adjust the swing on a short club to get the right distance than I am with a long club.
I really should leave the lob wedge out but once every round or two it will be by far the best club for the job, as well as it's other uses.
To the best of my knowledge
New 4w - 230
2h - 215
3i - 200

I guess the MP 2i would come in around the same as my 2h, and the MP 3i about 205-210

Now I've seen it written down it looks even more like I should lose a wedge. I just feel that there's too much bounce on my 56 to open it up much except for in bunkers.

What do you think you'll end up doing?

I think I'm going borrow a 52 wedge, drop the 50 and 54 and just see how it goes for a while. I'll put the 5 wood back in and just see how the gaps are.
If the driver hasn't sorted itself by April then I might be making a trip to the Belfry myself and not just for a game..

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
I would be inclined to go with the woods and leave the hybrid for now. If you start the season and see a need to fill a gap between the fairway wood and 3 iron, you already know what spec you need and can probably get one in a few days mail order from somewhere.

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
glad it went well Region, I assume you'd recommend them? How broad was the range of shaft options for the 910, just the stock options or did they have the upcharge ones too?

one quick question with the gap between 4 wood and longest iron, did you not consider the 910 hybrid? surely with the adjustable it would give you a bit more flex and enable you close the gap properly?

Definitely recommend the 910 and The Belfry.
I'd guess they had custom options as well as the stock ones, but I wasn't interested in knowing what shaft was in the club I was using. The fitter said exactly how he was trying to get the shaft compared to my old one and there was probably only a few that flexed the right amount in the right places for him.

I want to try to get away from hybrids if I can because I don't like how they look at address and I can't consistently hit the one I have. Maybe the 910 with the right shaft would be better for me but I can't imagine I'd hit it any better than the Mizzy Fli-Hi 2 iron.
My current hybrid fills the gap perfectly. It's just that I find it hard to use and I want to try to lose a club so I don't have to decide each round what to leave out.

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I think I'm going borrow a 52 wedge, drop the 50 and 54 and just see how it goes for a while. I'll put the 5 wood back in and just see how the gaps are.
If the driver hasn't sorted itself by April then I might be making a trip to the Belfry myself and not just for a game..

Are you wedges forged? I was just thing you could get your 52 bent to 50 for a while to save buying a new club, and you're already used to how it swings and weight etc.

Definitely worth having a bash with the 910 if you're in the market for a driver. The ball really goes off the face well and the extra adjustability is a bonus.

One thing I forgot to mention in my first post was the prices. I was expecting them to be very expensive from The Belfry, but the driver was £249, which is as cheap as I've seen it anywhere.

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I would be inclined to go with the woods and leave the hybrid for now. If you start the season and see a need to fill a gap between the fairway wood and 3 iron, you already know what spec you need and can probably get one in a few days mail order from somewhere.

That's the immediate plan. Driver and 4 wood will be ordered soon.

I can get the MP for £69 online so I'll have a think about that for a while.

If I waited for my woods until I'd made my mind up about the MP I'd die of impatience or make a bad decision.

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
i really want to try the 910h, was it nice? easy to hit?

It was great, although I'm sure the shaft was a huge part of that.

It was so nice to have the flight my swing doesn't normally give me. It feels effortless whereas my old one feels like I have to put a bit of effort into it.

Can't wait to get it on the course.

Imurg

Visit site

Are you wedges forged? I was just thing you could get your 52 bent to 50 for a while to save buying a new club, and you're already used to how it swings and weight

Not sure the CG15 is forged...
Hopefully going to borrow Fragger's 52 Ping Tour W(I know its Ping but needs must) for a while. If I did buy a new wedge it would probably be the MPT 10 or 11.

Did you get the cost of the fitting off the asking price?