Beginner Blues

LShillabeer

Visit site
Can anyone advise which course would be the best one to go to for beginning leasons??? Never had a leason and desperate to learn!!! Anywhere near Bournemouth please.
Thanks!

haplesshacker

Money List Winner
mid-life-crisis-man.blogspot.co.uk
I started playing (for the first time!) in the Bournemouth area back in 1990.

The short course at Hengistbury Head is great for starters as there are a lack of so called experianced golfers around to moan at the inevitable wayward shots, it's only short but good for accuracy. We then moved onto Meyrick Park and Quens Park courses. Being run by local authority, or at least it was then, also lacks thre 'snobbery' of other courses. West Moors at the Moors Valley Country Park has expanded to 18 holes, (it was only nine when I was around), is good value I believe. As for clubs in the area, Ferndown has two good courses, (Golf Links Road), and Parkstone is reputedly very good as well. The Purbeck is also supposed to be very good, but a bitch of a place to get to in the summer, (Sandbanks ferry, or all the way around Holes Bay).

But getting back to the original point, the course at Barrack Road next to the river between B'mth and Christchurch is also a good place to 'learn' your skills.

To add to it, don't be afraid to tackle 'bigger' courses, I held off for a year after re-starting 2 years ago, as I believed that I wasn't good enough. But since taking on these longer challenges my game has improved remarkably. We all have to start somewhere, and as soon as the old duffers that have been playing for 20 years (and still can't get below 20 h'cap), realize that their club can only survive with new blood the better.

Go and enjoy yourself, and take plenty of balls! Especially at Meyrick Park.

shanker

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
You're in great golfing country, Mr. Lshillabeer. Ferndown, Parkstone, Broadstone and the Isle of Purbeck are terrific golf courses. Join one of them and you'll never look back.

billyg

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I started playing (for the first time!) in the Bournemouth area back in 1990.

The short course at Hengistbury Head is great for starters as there are a lack of so called experianced golfers around to moan at the inevitable wayward shots, it's only short but good for accuracy. We then moved onto Meyrick Park and Quens Park courses. Being run by local authority, or at least it was then, also lacks thre 'snobbery' of other courses. West Moors at the Moors Valley Country Park has expanded to 18 holes, (it was only nine when I was around), is good value I believe. As for clubs in the area, Ferndown has two good courses, (Golf Links Road), and Parkstone is reputedly very good as well. The Purbeck is also supposed to be very good, but a bitch of a place to get to in the summer, (Sandbanks ferry, or all the way around Holes Bay).

But getting back to the original point, the course at Barrack Road next to the river between B'mth and Christchurch is also a good place to 'learn' your skills.

To add to it, don't be afraid to tackle 'bigger' courses, I held off for a year after re-starting 2 years ago, as I believed that I wasn't good enough. But since taking on these longer challenges my game has improved remarkably. We all have to start somewhere, and as soon as the old duffers that have been playing for 20 years (and still can't get below 20 h'cap), realize that their club can only survive with new blood the better.

Go and enjoy yourself, and take plenty of balls! Especially at Meyrick Park.

seconded. If you're talking strictly 'lessons' then it doesn't matter where you go. All you need is enough space to swing a 7 iron and a dilligent pro.

If your talking more- learning the course management skills and etiquette then a willingness to be polite and do your best is more than enough. Go to it and don't look back!

To HH- if you're in the West Dorset area have you played Cheddington Court?

Truly our own little Brigadoon I can't recommend it enough.

My lady and I spend a fair bit of time on hols. on that 'manor' and found this little gem after playing Halstock quite a bit.The people there are so friendly and the course is as good I could ever hope to play.

I started my love of golf (albeit unwittingly) on the neighbouring Bridport and West Dorset course acting as a caddie and the Port Coombe 6th(par 3) has tantilised me ever since( I must have been about 13-now 37). When I can do it justice i'll go back there as a player(if i'm lucky with the gent that was kind enough to let me caddie for him- an ex- PT instructor for 2 Para and member of The Red Devils) and the circle will be complete.

I try to disguise my london origins when I play/talk golf as I'm aware of the (justifiable) dislike of us know-nothing urban 'know-it-alls' from the smoke.

If you play the rules, show some respect and love the game you can't go far wrong in my humble opinion.

bill

LShillabeer

Visit site
Thanks to all for your time and advice.
We settled on the Iford course,(Half-way between home and the office!)...with an instuctor ("PGA Professional" so his card reads!)...to show us the ropes.
Will let you know how it goes.
Thank you again!