Beer Prices

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Anywhere near me you're lucky to get a pint of any alcohol for less than a fiver. At my golf club our 10% members discount bring it down to £4.50.

marksman

Visit site
Cheltenham races a fortnight ago , 2 pints of Guinness and 1 pint of Carling £19.90 ?. The Guinness was £6.90 a pint . The queue at the bar was 6 deep .

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Tashy will be along shortly to give us all the lowdown!

There are many “pit “ villages still knocking around but they are unrecognisable from 30 plus years ago. Within those villages )now communities) there are a few miners welfares left. Most are also unrecognisable from what they were back in the day. Many have shut down. I have been in a few and it is like going back 30 years. Some of these places are cheap, but you will end up having a drink with Stan and his whippet.
me and Missis T as part of our cultural touring a couple of years ago ended up staying in Newcastle. Marsden Grotto ( cheers man in black?). Anyway we ended up at Ellington Colliery welfare. It was a lovely place to call into. Again it was like going back 20 plus years, but the “ Ale” was dirt cheap. I was driving ?

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
me and Missis T as part of our cultural touring a couple of years ago ended up staying in Newcastle. Marsden Grotto ( cheers man in black?). Anyway we ended up at Ellington Colliery welfare. It was a lovely place to call into. Again it was like going back 20 plus years, but the “ Ale” was dirt cheap. I was driving ?
We used to employ someone who lived in an old miners cottage opposite there. It was one of the managers houses, longer front garden, bigger terrace (I'm sure you can imagine the type of house I mean). Anyway, the locals refer to this as the Tute, as in Miners Institute. He kept talking about going to the Tute for a drink and none of us knew what he was talking about. He was about 3 weeks in before I finally stopped and asked him what the heck he meant :LOL:. That was a thriving place, according to him, and cheap prices certainly helped. Lots of new houses have been built in Ellington so the trick for them is to become less of an ex-miners drinking place and widen the appeal. It was one of the later pits to shut, 2005, so still plenty of people who worked there living in the village and drinking on the cheap :D

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
We used to employ someone who lived in an old miners cottage opposite there. It was one of the managers houses, longer front garden, bigger terrace (I'm sure you can imagine the type of house I mean). Anyway, the locals refer to this as the Tute, as in Miners Institute. He kept talking about going to the Tute for a drink and none of us knew what he was talking about. He was about 3 weeks in before I finally stopped and asked him what the heck he meant :LOL:. That was a thriving place, according to him, and cheap prices certainly helped. Lots of new houses have been built in Ellington so the trick for them is to become less of an ex-miners drinking place and widen the appeal. It was one of the later pits to shut, 2005, so still plenty of people who worked there living in the village and drinking on the cheap :D

I Couldn’t believe it when talking to one of the lads in there. He worked at the pit at the next village along from where I live. He like a few others, when the pit shut he moved “ back home”.

HeftyHacker

Visit site
When I used to live in Manchester City centre the price of a pint was sickening, being from a small Lancashire village and growing up on cheap ale.

Eventually though, me and a mate found a Joseph Holt pub a stones throw from where we lived called the Bricklayers Arms in Ordsall - £2.35 for a pint of their premium Diamond lager. That stuff was absolute rocket fuel.

Had some great nights in there, some proper characters and also some really dodgy buggers used to frequent it. It had a diverse clientele due to its location between the modern flats (usually lived in by young professionals) and the estate which was quite rough.

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
During Lock-down I had time to research my family's mining roots back to the then thriving, Coundon/Eldon area of SW Durham where my GrandFather & Great Grandfather lived & worked from the 1880's & right through that painful, cruel & miserable 'Durham Lock-out' period which is remembered to this day. Their FB pages are a testament to how communities can come together however scattered they may now be.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
When I used to live in Manchester City centre the price of a pint was sickening, being from a small Lancashire village and growing up on cheap ale.

Eventually though, me and a mate found a Joseph Holt pub a stones throw from where we lived called the Bricklayers Arms in Ordsall - £2.35 for a pint of their premium Diamond lager. That stuff was absolute rocket fuel.

Had some great nights in there, some proper characters and also some really dodgy buggers used to frequent it. It had a diverse clientele due to its location between the modern flats (usually lived in by young professionals) and the estate which was quite rough.

Holt’s and Ordsall. Roughest beer I’ve ever had, and OMG is Ordsall rough!