Beer Prices

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
A bloke was fitting a fan in my mums flat and they got talking. He was from a "small mining village" near Pontefract. He claimed, and I have no reason to doubt, a pint of Guiness was..........£2.20. Guess where I'm currently googling to find a guest house for our lads golf trip?

RichA

Visit site
A bloke was fitting a fan in my mums flat and they got talking. He was from a "small mining village" near Pontefract. He claimed, and I have no reason to doubt, a pint of Guiness was..........£2.20. Guess where I'm currently googling to find a guest house for our lads golf trip?
There aren't any mining villages in Yorkshire anymore, unless he lives in 1984, in which case £2.20 seems a bit steep.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Pint has just gone up to £4.00 in my village pub. Glad I converted the garage to a bar in lockdown and have a perfect draft machine. Now about £2.50 for a freshly poured pint.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
There aren't any mining villages in Yorkshire anymore, unless he lives in 1984, in which case £2.20 seems a bit steep.
There are plenty of people up here who will still talk about Durham pit villages even though they are long closed. I guess it is ingrained for some, it was the identity of the village. It tends to be older people using the term so it will die out.

£2.20 though! Must be a knock off barrel :LOL:

The cheapest pint, excluding Wetherspoons, in my town is around £3.60 for a pint of beer. Most are north of £4 though. A pint of Peroni, Moretti etc is consistently £5. No idea about Guiness.

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
Hell no! I don't even know what the price of their beer was as they were painting the inside of the clubhouse that day.

Anyway, can anyone testify to the £2.20 a pint. He was very insistent as we met him later and I stared in disbelief as he told us.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Given that there is 54 pence duty on a pint of Guiness makes one wonder.

One mate who regularly travels North to visit family often comments on the price difference between there and here.

Last edited:

4LEX

Visit site
I lived in Durham back in the day and the prices for beer in the local pubs beat the student union. A bizzare mix of flat capped old men with their ales and students knocking back lagers and shots.

Newcastle to this day is still very cheap if you go to the bars just outside the city centre. But cheap aclohol = violence.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
There’s 34 bars in the little town I live. Plenty of cheap alcohol, and not a single bit of alcohol related violence.