Becoming a member of the PGA

lukeysafc100

Head Pro
Visit site
Hi,

I'm currently off a handicap of 6.0 and im 27.

I have a long term goal of leaving my current job and becoming a PGA pro member and teaching/being a Club Pro - as I want others to enjoy the game as much as I am. I know I've got to get my handicap down for starters but I feel I will be cat 1 within the next few weeks/competitions

Have you any tips or advice in achieving this?

many thanks

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Hi,

I'm currently off a handicap of 6.0 and im 27.

I have a long term goal of leaving my current job and becoming a PGA pro member and teaching/being a Club Pro - as I want others to enjoy the game as much as I am. I know I've got to get my handicap down for starters but I feel I will be cat 1 within the next few weeks/competitions

Have you any tips or advice in achieving this?

many thanks

go and see a PGA pro for a lesson?

really hard without knowing your strengths and weaknesses. Work on your weaknesses and then practise your short game and putting

D

Deleted Member 1156

I know I've got to get my handicap down for starters but I feel I will be cat 1 within the next few weeks/competitions

I'm sure you are aware you have to get down to 4 to enrol on the course. Have you been Cat1 in the past? Getting to 5 is easy, getting cut once you get there is MUCH harder! Only .1 for every shot under CSS and only 1 shot buffer as well.

Good luck though!

D

Deleted member 15344

I'm sure you are aware you have to get down to 4 to enrol on the course. Have you been Cat1 in the past? Getting to 5 is easy, getting cut once you get there is MUCH harder! Only .1 for every shot under CSS and only 1 shot buffer as well.

Good luck though!

Agree with this - getting to 5 was just a start - getting from 5 to 4 was hard work - as is getting to 3 - I know juniors do it rapidly sometimes but unless you are playing 4/5 times a week at a minimum then it's going to be a struggle- all I can say is good luck

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'm not sure he's asking for performance advice as he says he's gonna be cat 1 (yes I know it's 4 to turn pro) shortly anyway.

With regarss to following your career dream. Get a job in the business working in a pro shop somewhere, you can learn the ropes that way, and I'm sure you have to be working at a PGA shop to apply to do the PGA course anyway

Fish

Banned
Visit site
Do they have to maintain this kind of handicap? I know a club Pro who can't play anywhere near to Cat1 never mind 4.

D

Deleted Member 1156

Do they have to maintain this kind of handicap? I know a club Pro who can't play anywhere near to Cat1 never mind 4.

No they don't Robin. Part of the course involves a playing test where they have to shoot a certain score or better but once qualified they have no handicap.

lukeysafc100

Head Pro
Visit site
Interesting comments - thank you for the advice.
I think the next time I play I'll get the shots docked to be cat 1. Confidence is high right now.

I'm fortunate enough to live next to my golf club - so I'm there a lot 5 nights from 7 practicing - with rounds in between.