Bar levy

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
...and spend 5 hours on the course but must immediately leave the premises the second they finish.

It is their prerogative but they are likely to be some of the loudest shouters when told their fees are going up.

I recognise the time element constraint - but I was specifically referring to the affordability of a levy. You need to get your rounds down to not much more than 4 hrs then you'd have an hour in the clubhouse afterwards :)

D

Deleted Member 1156

I think you have to consider the cost for some clubs to maintain a bar and food service.

They need to pay thousands a year in staff costs, cleaning, pension contributions, sick pay, holiday pay, training, fuel, insurance, first aid courses, hygiene courses, food waste etc etc.

Most clubs would continue to provide this service at break even point, or even a small loss, simply to offer it to members.

If a bar levy is the difference between making a small loss or a small profit, then so be it. And while many clubs will have the levy who have a big surplus from food and drink, things can change quickly and it makes sense to encourage people to use the house regularly.
You forgot to mention blue sticky plasters when chef cuts his finger ;)

SAPCOR1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Don’t have one however wouldn’t bother me personally as we go for a quite a few family meals during the year. No alcohol as I wouldn’t drink and drive and in Scotland, you’d be over the limit for sniffing a damp beer mat these days.

However I do disagree that people should be forced to pay one. It’s a golf club not a social club and if people don’t want to spend time in the clubhouse then that’s their choice. Amazingly enough, people do have a life outside of playing golf. If a club needs a bar levy to survive then it’s not been managed very well............

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
We had a £50 levy. Had no issue with it and would spend it with ease. However there were a large number that couldn't spend it and were annoyed when the club said it if you didn't spend it you'd lose it. I do get the fact that there are those who don't want to use the club every week but it only equates to a pound a week. It was a good revenue source for the club and there are rumours of it coming back. It'll be interesting to see how that impacts membership and whether we lose any members

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Ours is £110 and personally l have no issue with it as it can be used for drinks & snacks in the bar, in the halfway hut, and in the restaurant. A few rounds in the bar, a few sausage rolls & coffees part way round a game, and a Sunday lunch with Mrs B and I'll be topping up by February.

I'd alway regarded it as an upfront deposit to help with bar/restaurant cashflow - but hadn't thought of it as an investment with a good return . But now its been pointed out, it is a pretty neat investment. I loan the club a few quid, and the 20% discount means they give me 25% interest. Better than leaving it in the bank or under the bed.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
What's not to like is that it takes away the choice from those who want to just play golf. Plenty people can't commit the time to using the clubhouse.

If you just want to play golf, go to a pay and play; if you want to be a club member this is part of being a club member in my opinion.

www.hiltonpark.net
For me it is lazy because it means the club don't have to work at giving the right product. They are guaranteed £50, or whatever, from every member straight away. That takes away the incentive for improvement. If the bar doesn't take enough, 'increase the levy'. No, improve what you offer.

If members don't use it then ask why. It may be, as others have mentioned, down to family life, time restrictions etc, but it also may be because it does not deliver what they want. Mine doesn't but they don't want to hear. I always stop after a round but I don't spend as much as I could because it doesn't tempt me. I certainly would not 'pop in' to eat or have a coffee as many seem to do even if they are not playing golf. There are clubs that I have visited and played at where I would use outside of golf because they are so pleasant.
I can't give this enough reps. There's an expectation from members and clubs that has to be changed. If people aren't spending, challenge yourself rather than charge your member

Blue in Munich

Visit site
That’s a bit too simplistic, in my opinion of course. If you play a lot of golf then pay and play doesn’t make sense £££ wise

It's a little simplistic I grant you, and there are odd occasions when I won't stay, but as a general principle I don't think it's that harsh.

If you are playing that much golf that pay & play doesn't make sense then I don't think the argument that you can't stay because you haven't got time washes either.

Blue in Munich

Visit site
I can't give this enough reps. There's an expectation from members and clubs that has to be changed. If people aren't spending, challenge yourself rather than charge your member

Challenge yourself over what? My club has members that don't stay. The club provides a very nice bar area, a decent range of beers, the staff are great and the view's pretty good. There are a wide range of social events and the catering is excellent. A few on here who have visited with me can attest to pretty much all of that. So what more do we need to do to get those who don't stay to change their habits?

I'm not saying that some clubs don't need to look at themselves, but there are a number of members who need to do the same I would suggest.

D

Deleted member 16999

I don’t believe there is an expectation, just like you have different types of Clubs you have different types of members, there isn’t an easy solution, why do members clubs have quiz nights or theme nights or run raffles etc, all to raise money for the Club to keep it succesful and to keep fees at a realistic level.
Take away these little extras and annual fees in every club would have to increase to make up the shortfall.
Every time a bar levy is mentioned people take it to extremes and claim the rights are being infringed or they are being forced in to a bar.
What is the alternative, scrap the bar levy, raise prices in the club and raise fees or ask people to help the club with a small loan that you can have back with interest within 24hrs.

www.hiltonpark.net
I can almost guarantee thst car park members are spending money elsewhere. So if quiz nights, raffles etc aren't bringing in sufficient funds then clubs need to change there approach.
I know it feels like sacrilege to some golfers but members clubs are now competing with an ever expanding diversity of other leisure based industries with far more sophisticated ways of enticing their customer base.
Golf need a to catch up with and get ahead of the curve........it's playing catch up

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Thing is I do not feel relaxed in the clubhouse, dress codes, atmosphere, decor (straight backed chairs and tables, nowhere comfortable) just not me. It suits the majority so that is perfect and good luck to them but it is not me. Add some sport on tv, a sofa or 2 and a less judgemental approach to what you wear and I would feel relaxed, stay longer and spend more.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
We have one and it gets topped up once a month i would say. but been thinking about it a fair bit recently, is it really just covering up the fact many now can't or just don't want to use the club house facilities. i'm thinking maybe there is a better way... i don't know what though!!

D

Deleted member 16999

I can almost guarantee thst car park members are spending money elsewhere. So if quiz nights, raffles etc aren't bringing in sufficient funds then clubs need to change there approach.
I know it feels like sacrilege to some golfers but members clubs are now competing with an ever expanding diversity of other leisure based industries with far more sophisticated ways of enticing their customer base.
Golf need a to catch up with and get ahead of the curve........it's playing catch up
Were does the money come from to allow Golf to catch up and get ahead?
Membership fees? Or the magic money tree?

SAPCOR1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It's a little simplistic I grant you, and there are odd occasions when I won't stay, but as a general principle I don't think it's that harsh.

If you are playing that much golf that pay & play doesn't make sense then I don't think the argument that you can't stay because you haven't got time washes either.

Again I can’t agree. Using myself as an example, I am a 6 minute drive from the course and if I am working from home and not too busy, I will check BRS and can head up for 18 holes and be back home again all under 3 hours if I get a clear run. During the summer I can play at least 5 times a week. I know many others that do the same whether it’s a quick 18 or the “front” 12.

Anoher example is that schools around here finish for the day either at 3pm or 3.30 and some have to be away for their kids.

Example 3 are shift workers and I know a few who will play the earliest possible after their shift before going to bed.

I know that these are all specific to my club but the point I am trying to make is that people sometimes only have a time window to play and have other things to do or places to be outwith the golf club.

Our club’s bar & restaurant are run by an contractor and is rated the second best place to eat in the area by Trip Advisor. There are plenty of couches and comfy chairs and no stupid dress codes to adhere to. All in all a very welcoming place to be.

I have been in other clubs where it is the opposite where it seems many members/visitors are walking on eggshells and seem to only be there to be “doing the right thing”.

So to summarise this long post, people have a life outside of golf and the club and clubs need to look at themselves if they need a bar levy to survive, not the members

D

Deleted Member 1156

Thing is I do not feel relaxed in the clubhouse, dress codes, atmosphere, decor (straight backed chairs and tables, nowhere comfortable) just not me. It suits the majority so that is perfect and good luck to them but it is not me. Add some sport on tv, a sofa or 2 and a less judgemental approach to what you wear and I would feel relaxed, stay longer and spend more.
Maybe you just need to look for a new club then that better suits your requirements?

D

Deleted Member 1156

Again I can’t agree. Using myself as an example, I am a 6 minute drive from the course and if I am working from home and not too busy, I will check BRS and can head up for 18 holes and be back home again all under 3 hours if I get a clear run. During the summer I can play at least 5 times a week. I know many others that do the same whether it’s a quick 18 or the “front” 12.

Anoher example is that schools around here finish for the day either at 3pm or 3.30 and some have to be away for their kids.

Example 3 are shift workers and I know a few who will play the earliest possible after their shift before going to bed.

I know that these are all specific to my club but the point I am trying to make is that people sometimes only have a time window to play and have other things to do or places to be outwith the golf club.

Our club’s bar & restaurant are run by an contractor and is rated the second best place to eat in the area by Trip Advisor. There are plenty of couches and comfy chairs and no stupid dress codes to adhere to. All in all a very welcoming place to be.

I have been in other clubs where it is the opposite where it seems many members/visitors are walking on eggshells and seem to only be there to be “doing the right thing”.

So to summarise this long post, people have a life outside of golf and the club and clubs need to look at themselves if they need a bar levy to survive, not the members
Your example sounds quite selfish to me. You play up to five times a week but pay the same subs as someone who only plays once a week yet you don't want to contribute anything extra to your club? Or have I misunderstood your point?

SAPCOR1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Your example sounds quite selfish to me. You play up to five times a week but pay the same subs as someone who only plays once a week yet you don't want to contribute anything extra to your club?

If you had read my earlier post you will have seen that I personally wouldn’t mind as we go for a family meal at the club on a very regular basis, at least once a month. Average cost for the 4 of us is about £45 so I must spend at least £60 - £100pm once you include a few coffees and soda & limes. Anyway I pay my subs for playing the course!

What I did say was that a bar levy shouldn’t be enforced on those who have no interest in spending time in the clubhouse or have other things to do. They are not being selfish, in my opinion of course and to be frank, it’s none of my business whether they do or don’t. However some people, like yourself, can’t seem to accept that other people have a different view of things.

It is a golf club first and foremost where you go to play golf