Bar levy

D

Deleted member 15344

We have a £50 bar levy and it’s normally gone by Feb

I don’t see it as a bar levy but just a part of the membership fee that I can use to buy something from the bar - if I don’t use that money then it goes to doing something on the course. Win win and I think every really will have 30 mins a month to sit and have a coke maybe

D

Deleted member 16999

Totally agree with what you're saying, people lose the interest in debate of what can we do help encourage use or acceptance that some people don't want to, don't have time to or simply have other priorities than using the bar. Always comes down to a them and us type thing people accusing others od being car park (lesser) members than those that are part of the social scene
Absolute garbage, nobody has at any time said people who don’t go in the clubhouse are lesser members.
You’ve stated time and time again you don’t have time at the moment due to family commitments, everybody accepts that, (majority have been there) then you throw the comment out about debate and encouraging use, what’s the point of your club doing anything at the moment or spending money to improve stuff when you still won’t have the time.
Maybe in future you will have the time and the money paid in via whatever means now by you will mean you have a club you’re happy to use.
The point I and maybe others are failing to grasp or understand is that you and others are ssying having a bar levy forces people to drink or add hours onto their day, yet there have been many examples of other ways to spend your money and not impact on your life and still help the club.

Wolf

Visit site
If you are going to quote me, then please have the courtesy to use the whole quote and don't take part of it, out of context, because it suits your argument.

The original quote in full was (and I've bolded the full bit in question, and underlined the bit that you used);

It's a little simplistic I grant you, and there are odd occasions when I won't stay, but as a general principle I don't think it's that harsh.

If you are playing that much golf that pay & play doesn't make sense then I don't think the argument that you can't stay because you haven't got time washes either.

Cutting out bits of a response to suit your argument and then getting caught out makes you out to be a bit of a knob, which up to this point I hadn't thought you were; did I get that wrong?
Nothing was cut to suit my argument. However if you want to add in the full quote for more context it doesn't change the point I was making, some people can have time for 4hrs of golf without time to frequent bar. Though you now ask am I a knob because how I responded to your comment nice to see you've resorted to name calling I won't even honour that with a like minded response because I am certainly not a knob or big enough a knob to need to insult others.....

upsidedown

Tour Winner
Visit site
Ours is £25 and although I was surprised when we came back from NZ that there were members who didn't come in for a drink after playing, as this certainly wasn't the case in my experience before we went, I do believe we have very few who didn't come in now but this thread has prompted me to find our for sure .
From my time on the committee I do know we don't run our Social functions to garner money for the club but it's because that's what the members want and we pride accordingly to break even with just a small profit if possible .

User20205

Money List Winner
Visit site
Ours is £100.
I don’t understand the argument that you’ve got 4hrs for golf but not an extra 20 mins for a quick drink? I wouldn’t play with someone who regularly left without having a quick drink, it’s rude imo. I welcome my bar levy, it saves me 10% on cash I’d spend anyway.
Support your bar & pro, without them you don’t have a club....just a course

Wolf

Visit site
N
Absolute garbage, nobody has at any time said people who don’t go in the clubhouse are lesser members.
You’ve stated time and time again you don’t have time at the moment due to family commitments, everybody accepts that, (majority have been there) then you throw the comment out about debate and encouraging use, what’s the point of your club doing anything at the moment or spending money to improve stuff when you still won’t have the time.
Maybe in future you will have the time and the money paid in via whatever means now by you will mean you have a club you’re happy to use.
The point I and maybe others are failing to grasp or understand is that you and others are ssying having a bar levy forces people to drink or add hours onto their day, yet there have been many examples of other ways to spend your money and not impact on your life and still help the club.
Not garbage at all and perhaps the words haven't been said but go back over all the comments and even just referring to someone as a car park golfer and saying they should do more indirectly infers to inferiority compared to others, but what do I know because apparently according to others I'm a knob for having a different view so on that basis as far as this thread goes i'm out.......

D

Deleted member 16999

Ours is £25 and although I was surprised when we came back from NZ that there were members who didn't come in for a drink after playing, as this certainly wasn't the case in my experience before we went, I do believe we have very few who didn't come in now but this thread has prompted me to find our for sure .
From my time on the committee I do know we don't run our Social functions to garner money for the club but it's because that's what the members want and we pride accordingly to break even with just a small profit if possible .
But I’m sure you wouldn’t continue them if they were run at a loss or unsupported?

D

Deleted member 16999

N

Not garbage at all and perhaps the words haven't been said but go back over all the comments and even just referring to someone as a car park golfer and saying they should do more indirectly infers to inferiority compared to others, but what do I know because apparently according to other I'm a knob for having a different view so on that basis as far as this thread goes i'm out.......
So if the words haven’t been said but that’s the way you’ve interpreted it, I don’t know what to say.
Everybody on this forum has been a car park golfer at some time, golf is a game that varies in the time it takes to play it, you turn up early by 2 minutes, walk in the clubhouse, buy a sandwich/whatever, pay with your bar card, play the round, go home.
Can’t see any issue with that scenario.

D

Deleted member 1147

£50 at ours, and if you pay your subs in full by a certain time, the club will put an extra £25 on for you.
If the original £50 isn’t used up by the end of the season you lose whatever is left over.
I’m happy with it, as I seem to be adding £ every month anyway!

Bigfoot

Tour Rookie
Visit site
WP and Enville both have cards but neither requires a levy at the start of the membership year.

WP is a minimum of £50 top up to achieve a discount on food and drink. There is no minimum at Enville.

There is not a bar at IOH unless there is a major event , so no levy!!

upsidedown

Tour Winner
Visit site
But I’m sure you wouldn’t continue them if they were run at a loss or unsupported?
No probably not why would you ? Which is why they listen to the members and plan accordingly , to stand still is to go backwards . Since I've been there for six years, seen the introduction of Sky TV , the relaxation of dress codes some 4 years ago and encourage ment of families to come up and also provide a very successful Sunday dinner service for non members .

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
Nothing was cut to suit my argument. However if you want to add in the full quote for more context it doesn't change the point I was making, some people can have time for 4hrs of golf without time to frequent bar. Though you now ask am I a knob because how I responded to your comment nice to see you've resorted to name calling I won't even honour that with a like minded response because I am certainly not a knob or big enough a knob to need to insult others.....

It totally changes the point you were making because the response I posted was in reply to a poster talking about people playing that many times a week that using a pay and play didn't make financial sense. The same poster then stated that he can play 5+ times a week. And in light of that the full quote of "If you are playing that much golf that pay & play doesn't make sense then I don't think the argument that you can't stay because you haven't got time washes either." is a legitimate response to him and nothing at all to do with your position. But you took out the part of the quote that suited your argument, despite my acknowledgement in other posts that my circumstances sometimes mean that I don't stay.

And I didn't ask if you were a knob because of your response, it was because of your editing of my response to suit your argument. I don't have an issue with your viewpoint; I have an issue with you twisting the meaning of my response to validate your position.

D

Deleted member 16999

No probably not why would you ? Which is why they listen to the members and plan accordingly , to stand still is to go backwards . Since I've been there for six years, seen the introduction of Sky TV , the relaxation of dress codes some 4 years ago and encourage ment of families to come up and also provide a very successful Sunday dinner service for non members .
It was a direct reply to you saying

“From my time on the committee I do know we don't run our Social functions to garner money for the club but it's because that's what the members want and we pride accordingly to break even with just a small profit if possible.”

That’s the same way we operate, but any profits made from events or takings over the bar, all add to future financial plans and the benefit of members. (Assuming it’s a member’s club)

Wolf

Visit site
It totally changes the point you were making because the response I posted was in reply to a poster talking about people playing that many times a week that using a pay and play didn't make financial sense. The same poster then stated that he can play 5+ times a week. And in light of that the full quote of "If you are playing that much golf that pay & play doesn't make sense then I don't think the argument that you can't stay because you haven't got time washes either." is a legitimate response to him and nothing at all to do with your position. But you took out the part of the quote that suited your argument, despite my acknowledgement in other posts that my circumstances sometimes mean that I don't stay.

And I didn't ask if you were a knob because of your response, it was because of your editing of my response to suit your argument. I don't have an issue with your viewpoint; I have an issue with you twisting the meaning of my response to validate your position.
Nothing twisted I read it as I read it simple as that, you then interpreted my response as you did sadly you decided to resort to name calling if that's how you wish to be so be it, but as far as I'm concerned when people stoop so low as to be petty enough that says more about them than anything they've posted because it takes everything away from a potentially valid point to being no more than pathetic childish name calling..
Let's hope we can rise above that and be adults shall we.. Like I said before though now this thread has come to that I'm out and won't bother with it further.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
We had a load of members who couldn't spend the £50 in the course of the year and would lose the balance. Some hadn't even spent a single penny and so clearly had never set foot in the club after a game. They don't have to drink and surely a tea and some toast after a game once in a world is feasible even if they had other commitments to go to. I would argue, although it IS as generalisation that these members were five day seniors as in my experience they are car park golfers always changing their shoes by the. Any club needs members to help by spending behind the bar. Its definitely a two way street and the club have to make the effort to provide a welcoming atmosphere with good beers and good food etc and members have to buy in that their club needs their support

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
If you just want to play golf, go to a pay and play; if you want to be a club member this is part of being a club member in my opinion.

I spend a lot of money at my club, just stuck £50 on my account today and I'll use that in a month, less time in summer.

However, it's not right (legal?) to charge people if they don't want to use it.

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
We have a £50 bar levy and it’s normally gone by Feb

I don’t see it as a bar levy but just a part of the membership fee that I can use to buy something
With your long pockets and short arms, I assume your renewal date is the 1st March ?:ROFLMAO:
Ours is £100.
I don’t understand the argument that you’ve got 4hrs for golf but not an extra 20 mins for a quick drink? I wouldn’t play with someone who regularly left without having a quick drink, it’s rude imo. I welcome my bar levy, it saves me 10% on cash I’d spend anyway.
Support your bar & pro, without them you don’t have a club....just a course
Same here. How slow do people drink ? 10 minutes is long enough for a drink. Perhaps it is the delaying tactics to avoid being first at the bar.:eek::eek::eek: Time for four odd hours to play, but never a few minutes for a drink.:sleep:

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
We had a load of members who couldn't spend the £50 in the course of the year and would lose the balance. Some hadn't even spent a single penny and so clearly had never set foot in the club after a game. They don't have to drink and surely a tea and some toast after a game once in a world is feasible even if they had other commitments to go to. I would argue, although it IS as generalisation that these members were five day seniors as in my experience they are car park golfers always changing their shoes by the. Any club needs members to help by spending behind the bar. Its definitely a two way street and the club have to make the effort to provide a welcoming atmosphere with good beers and good food etc and members have to buy in that their club needs their support
Unlikely to be commonplace but it's entirely possible that some of those who didn't spend any of their levy simply forgot that they had one and used cash instead..

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Unlikely to be commonplace but it's entirely possible that some of those who didn't spend any of their levy simply forgot that they had one and used cash instead..

We have a number who lose their bar levy but I suspect a number of them pay their subscription but rarely play