PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Hancock rules out removing childcare and support bubbles

Asked by the mirror

So basically if your profession hadn't mentioned it nobody would be worried

evemccc

Visit site
Middle class, heterosexual white men say there’s no issue here.

Homosexual women have said there’s an issue here.

Why doesn’t this surprise me given the demographics on this forum?!

My stance is this - I don’t know if he considers being gay to be a negative thing. I used the expression he used as an insult on my mates when I was a kid. I wouldn’t use it now.

If I made a mistake at work, muttered that word under my breath and was heard by someone would I expect to be disciplined? Yes. I’d be damn well ashamed of myself.

Would I expect to be fired or anything? No, but I’d expect a formal letter placed on my file.

Should he be banned for one tournament? I think yes, he should. I think moments like this should be made clear as a “no more!” moment. The argument of, “Well so and so did this in the past, so Justin Thomas can’t be punished more harshly” is a bogus one. Things change as must punishments when a bigger statement needs to be made.

I quite like JT as a player and this won’t stop me rooting for him in the future because I feel he’s handled it well since it happened and I do believe his sincerity, albeit he may be just doing what he needs to for PR.

We can all make mistakes. We can try to learn from them to be better people or we could draw a line in the sand and say, “I won’t change just because you’re offended”. I know which path I’d prefer to go down.

While we share similar views on this, I’m curious as to how you think you know the social-economic background and financial circumstances, and the sexuality and skin colour of those who use this forum..

And then to basically use those as pejoratives...

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
I remember when being gay meant you were very happy, a stolen word lol

I remember that featuring in an ex-colleague's retirement speech, along with crack, being a gap between two paving slabs and sheltered accommodation, a place where you waited for buses. :LOL:

That colleague was known either as Lord Lucan or Thrush; he made the mistake of asking if Thrush referred to his exploits in the firm's choir, and he was advised it wasn't... :oops:

Pin-seeker

Visit site
While we share similar views on this, I’m curious as to how you think you know the social-economic background and financial circumstances, and the sexuality and skin colour of those who use this forum..

It’s just something he likes to say when ever something like this comes up ?‍♂️

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
I remember that featuring in an ex-colleague's retirement speech, along with crack, being a gap between two paving slabs and sheltered accommodation, a place where you waited for buses. :LOL:

That colleague was known either as Lord Lucan or Thrush; he made the mistake of asking if Thrush referred to his exploits in the firm's choir, and he was advised it wasn't... :oops:
And Snowflakes only fell from the sky :D

Kellfire

Blackballed
Visit site

From being a member for many years you come to know the demographics of the main posters, attending forum meets in the past also helped and by seeing the political and social views of the members in myriad threads over the years.

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

From being a member for many years you come to know the demographics of the main posters, attending forum meets in the past also helped and by seeing the political and social views of the members in myriad threads over the years.
^^^^^^ This..... & you'll find that what you suspect is, in fact, very much the reality.... & in some cases more so.
Am watching yesterdays final round & have just seen JT, be brave enough to be interviewed & admit to being distracted by the incident. At 27 he should have known better.

hairball_89

Club Champion
Visit site

You made a statement that the word in question was "only recently removed". The singer changed the word nearly 30 years ago, which should be common knowledge and is definitely not recent. I'm the one given the facepalm?!

@Traminator, yes. "Lots of songs have alternative lyrics to offer radio stations a "cleaner" option" - perhaps, just perhaps, that is a good enough reason to state that the word is not acceptable in this day and age, or in 1992! Your "meaningless word" is a personal insult. That is literally the point of the earlier question posed about the n-word. Whether you see it at nonsense and a joke it is an insult.

bladeplayer

Money List Winner
Visit site
Middle class, heterosexual white men say there’s no issue here.

Homosexual women have said there’s an issue here.

Why doesn’t this surprise me given the demographics on this forum?!

My stance is this - I don’t know if he considers being gay to be a negative thing. I used the expression he used as an insult on my mates when I was a kid. I wouldn’t use it now.

If I made a mistake at work, muttered that word under my breath and was heard by someone would I expect to be disciplined? Yes. I’d be damn well ashamed of myself.

Would I expect to be fired or anything? No, but I’d expect a formal letter placed on my file.

Should he be banned for one tournament? I think yes, he should. I think moments like this should be made clear as a “no more!” moment. The argument of, “Well so and so did this in the past, so Justin Thomas can’t be punished more harshly” is a bogus one. Things change as must punishments when a bigger statement needs to be made.

I quite like JT as a player and this won’t stop me rooting for him in the future because I feel he’s handled it well since it happened and I do believe his sincerity, albeit he may be just doing what he needs to for PR.

We can all make mistakes. We can try to learn from them to be better people or we could draw a line in the sand and say, “I won’t change just because you’re offended”. I know which path I’d prefer to go down.
Very good post, but i dont think many said it was ok , but , and i said as much in my 2nd reply to Karen , i thought her first reply was OTT , to what as far as im aware , and i may be very wrong , was a first and out of character moment

Just curious . , ud expect a letter on ur file, no suspension or lack of work , but u think JT should get a 1comp ban ? Why so ? , not having a go just curiousc

Last edited:

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Very good post, and i dont think many said it was ok , but and i said as much in my 2nd reply to Karen , i thought her first reply was OTT , to what as far as im aware , and i may be very wrong , was a first and out of character moment

Just curious . , ud expect a letter on ur file, no suspension or lack of work , but u think JT should get a 1comp ban ? Why so , not having a go just curiousc

If they banned him how would it work? Pros pick when they play

Could he just pick next week when say he wasn't going to and just be banned then

bladeplayer

Money List Winner
Visit site
If they banned him how would it work? Pros pick when they play

Could he just pick next week when say he wasn't going to and just be banned then
No idea , i dont think he should get ban for this , if he directed it at another person with intent to insult or demean then yes ,

if he constantly doing it , then yes ,

for a 1 word mistake , No

should he have said it ? Definitly not. . Let the punishment fit the crime tho .

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Of course he shouldn’t be banned, pathetic to even think he should be, a bit like the R&A dropping Trumps course, world has gone mad and ran by the woke brigde.
Haha... great sig. from the man who spends most of his time in the kitchen.. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Pin-seeker

Visit site
You made a statement that the word in question was "only recently removed". The singer changed the word nearly 30 years ago, which should be common knowledge and is definitely not recent. I'm the one given the facepalm?!

@Traminator, yes. "Lots of songs have alternative lyrics to offer radio stations a "cleaner" option" - perhaps, just perhaps, that is a good enough reason to state that the word is not acceptable in this day and age, or in 1992! Your "meaningless word" is a personal insult. That is literally the point of the earlier question posed about the n-word. Whether you see it at nonsense and a joke it is an insult.
But the 1987 original will still be played on Radio 2, while 6 Music DJs can choose between the two versions.
????‍♂️?‍♂️?‍♂️

Status
Not open for further replies.