Ban for Justin Thomas?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kellfire

Blackballed
Visit site
Very good post, but i dont think many said it was ok , but , and i said as much in my 2nd reply to Karen , i thought her first reply was OTT , to what as far as im aware , and i may be very wrong , was a first and out of character moment

Just curious . , ud expect a letter on ur file, no suspension or lack of work , but u think JT should get a 1comp ban ? Why so ? , not having a go just curiousc
Because of the public nature of the offence. Like it or not, he’s profiting massively from the public exposure he gets so he must also be held to account for that exposure as well.

evemccc

Visit site
Because of the public nature of the offence. Like it or not, he’s profiting massively from the public exposure he gets so he must also be held to account for that exposure as well.

How is he?

As far as I know, elite golfers get money through sponsorship and prize-money alone... He's not helped himself with regards sponsorship income, far from it, and he's not helped himself to any advantage in terms of winning golf tournaments - more likely this is a distraction to his concentration and performance.

If he was a boxer, or a singer / actor, then public exposure and publicity could be a good thing....but he's an elite professional golfer..
Unless I'm missing something I do not see how the public exposure is profiting him massively either in terms of financial gain nor his PR (i.e. sponsorship potential)

Traminator

Visit site
How is he?

As far as I know, elite golfers get money through sponsorship and prize-money alone... He's not helped himself with regards sponsorship income, far from it, and he's not helped himself to any advantage in terms of winning golf tournaments - more likely this is a distraction to his concentration and performance.

If he was a boxer, or a singer / actor, then public exposure and publicity could be a good thing....but he's an elite professional golfer..
Unless I'm missing something I do not see how the public exposure is profiting him massively either in terms of financial gain nor his PR (i.e. sponsorship potential)
The post means he profits massively in general from public exposure, not specifically from this particular episode.

evemccc

Visit site
The post means he profits massively in general from public exposure, not specifically from this particular episode.

Yes....but, quantifiably, how does he profit?

Do you mean materially? If so then I'd argue he doesn't..

Do you mean in terms of exposure?.....then it's wholly negative....and doesn't lead to any material gain for himself nor any benefit to his brand for this exposure.

Pro golfers get paid by winning tournaments and by making money through sponsorships. I don't understand how this so-called public exposure is benefitting him finacially now, nor his brand for future sponsorship deals.

Again, politely, I ask how is he 'profiting massively'?

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I have a few gay friends who wouldn’t take offence to his comment so can’t see why a big thing should be made if it as a one off, it’s not like he’s a regular offender.

I’d rather see bans imposed on the regular “ not going to shout fore “ brigade!

Now I’m off to wrap myself in bubble wrap and put my ear plug in just incase someone says something mean.

Kellfire

Blackballed
Visit site
Yes....but, quantifiably, how does he profit?

Do you mean materially? If so then I'd argue he doesn't..

Do you mean in terms of exposure?.....then it's wholly negative....and doesn't lead to any material gain for himself nor any benefit to his brand for this exposure.

Pro golfers get paid by winning tournaments and by making money through sponsorships. I don't understand how this so-called public exposure is benefitting him finacially now, nor his brand for future sponsorship deals.

Again, politely, I ask how is he 'profiting massively'?
Without the TV money, they get paid a lot less. You know this. You’re being obtuse to defend a point. And that’s fine, it’s your right. Just don’t be childish and pretend you don’t know what I’m saying.

evemccc

Visit site
Without the TV money, they get paid a lot less. You know this. You’re being obtuse to defend a point. And that’s fine, it’s your right. Just don’t be childish and pretend you don’t know what I’m saying.
Childish????
I was polite..
But i won't be if you carry on like that..

You haven't explained what you so forcefully claimed...and you've had plenty of opportunity to do so.
If you think JT has 'profited massively' from this, if you think his sponsors are pleased, if you think the PGA and CBS/NBC/ESPN are pleased with him (and that they will benefit) and that he will also personally 'profit massively' from this, then you need to think again..

The PGA etc are desperate to portray golfers and the tour as all 'classy guys' to quote No Laying Up..They patently do not want one of their stars making homophobic slurs

But because you've offered no explanation, and when your reasoning is politely questioned you resort to insults....well, we'll all have to assume now that your post was all pure emotion, hyperbole and exaggeration. And you double-down. In which case, you're not worth listening to, or reading..

Kellfire

Blackballed
Visit site
Childish????
I was polite..

You haven't explained what you so forcefully claimed...and you've had plenty of opportunity to do so.
If you think JT has 'profited massively' from this, if you think his sponsors are pleased, if you think the PGA and CBS/NBC/ESPN are pleased with him (and that they will benefit) and that he will also personally 'profit massively' from this, then you need to think again..

The PGA etc are desperate to portray golfers and the tour as all 'classy guys' to quote No Laying Up..They patently do not want one of their stars making homophobic slurs

But because you've offered no explanation, and when your reasoning is politely questioned you resort to insults....well, we'll all have to assume now that your post was all pure emotion, hyperbole and exaggeration. And you double-down. In which case, you're not worth listening to, or reading..
You know exactly what I meant. You know I wasn’t claiming he profited from a homophobic slur. Notice how everyone else got exactly what I meant. Stop.

evemccc

Visit site
If you can't explain or substantiate your comments under polite questioning, but resort to haughty insults and arrogant orders instead, then perhaps it's because you're ashamed of the lack of reason or clarity contained in the comments...

Either way...I've no time for you. Ignored

bladeplayer

Money List Winner
Visit site
Thanks for answer and i get where u are coming from but does that mean a homophobic slur is not a slur if only 1 person hears it ? Cannot be the case IMO,

I appreciate whst ur saying that it was on tv , but so was the contrite apology , the public apology was aired more times than the slur , any kid that heard him say it , also got to see how apologetic he was and how he said it is not acceptable ..

cant only see the negative .the positive of how he apologised abd sait its no way acceptable must be balanced too ,

Maybe the backlash might prove a good thing? When kids / people have seen and heard that its not acceptable

Last edited:

sunshine

Visit site
Childish????
I was polite..

I have no idea where you’ve been going with your recent posts. Maybe read them and the thread again?

D

Deleted member 18588

How do the PGA impose a ban?

As has already been said JT is a contractor not an employee.

Therefore, he chooses where he will play and can serve any ban simply by entering a tournament that he didn't intend to play in any event.

Traminator

Visit site
If you can't explain or substantiate your comments under polite questioning, but resort to haughty insults and arrogant orders instead, then perhaps it's because you're ashamed of the lack of reason or clarity contained in the comments...

Either way...I've no time for you. Ignored
Once again... Kellfire is NOT saying JT is profiting from THIS incident.

He wrote "Like it or not, he’s profiting massively from the public exposure he gets" which means he, like many hundreds of famous people, profits from the general and ongoing exposure he gets.

You have misread/misunderstood post #204.

Traminator

Visit site
This whole issue could easily be resolved by adding another common meaning to the dictionary.

The word in question is also a bundle of sticks, so they could also add
"A word used against oneself to denote intense frustration at one's poor execution of a task, often in a pressurised situation such as a sporting competition. Not related to any other meaning."

Job done.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
This whole issue could easily be resolved by adding another common meaning to the dictionary.

The word in question is also a bundle of sticks, so they could also add
"A word used against oneself to denote intense frustration at one's poor execution of a task, often in a pressurised situation such as a sporting competition. Not related to any other meaning."

Job done.
I used to have them in my stew when I was a lad.
Just saying the word is that offensive?
Addressing someone else with it is a different thing.

I never seen it live but did anyone actually complain.?

Status
Not open for further replies.