Ban for Justin Thomas?

Status
Not open for further replies.

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Could you imagine the D day landings today.
Go charging up the beach, machine gun in hand, shouting"take that you lousey Kraut".
Whistle goes, your dragged off the beach and you find yourself in court for offending somebody??
You couldn't make it up...
I don’t think they were shouting that, it probably was a few profanities, some quick prayers or just silence ... I am sure some of the vets who have been under fire will confirm..all of that is just post situational embellishments

MrGrumtastic

Visit site
Could you imagine the D day landings today.
Go charging up the beach, machine gun in hand, shouting"take that you lousey Kraut".
Whistle goes, your dragged off the beach and you find yourself in court for offending somebody??
You couldn't make it up...
Ah the good old days, when being gay was illegal, blacks had their own space on public transport and a woman's place was in the kitchen...
I think that even you might agree that times and attitudes have changed somewhat since then. These attitudes are simply not acceptable now, and never should have been.

Leftitshort

Visit site
Guy makes mistake, guy offers full apology and says he won't repeat the error. Forum goes into meltdown.

"He who is without sin shall cast the first stone"
That’s basically what’s been said. The only person (who has replied) that would find it offensive has indicated it is. Not sure she suggests a sanction though, above expressing disappointment.

What I struggle to understand (note I’m not offended) is the desperate justification. It’s as though some need to use homophobic insults in their everyday lives. Labelling any reply that challenges this as ‘pc’ or ‘snowflake’ means they don’t have to address the issue and have a little look at themselves. Whatever is easier I guess.

I use really terrible language all of the time, I know it’s wrong & I still use them. I can’t defend this though

SatchFan

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
???? I’m not the one posting silly pictures. But I guess you got the attention that you desperately needed

There is nothing silly about my Thursday dinner :), and it also highlighted a context in which the word could be used. At just over 1100 posts in 10 years I don't think I'm much of an attention seeker.

Leftitshort

Visit site
There is nothing silly about my Thursday dinner :), and it also highlighted a context in which the word could be used. At just over 1100 posts in 10 years I don't think I'm much of an attention seeker.
Yep maybe. Just think it devalues any debate to change the point of discussion. I don’t think Justin Thomas was talking about his dinner.
He’s just a young lad that used a word he uses with his mates, we’ve all done it. It’s not for for public broadcast though.

It does raise another interesting point, should this be picked up. Should there be stump mics, ref link etc. Do we need to hear what the players are saying?

Sats

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Yep maybe. Just think it devalues any debate to change the point of discussion. I don’t think Justin Thomas was talking about his dinner.
He’s just a young lad that used a word he uses with his mates, we’ve all done it. It’s not for for public broadcast though.

It does raise another interesting point, should this be picked up. Should there be stump mics, ref link etc. Do we need to hear what the players are saying?

There are loads of YouTube clips of pro golfers swearing I think given that Golf has media coverage and lets face it doesn't have the drowning noise of football/rugby etc, there is no avoiding the fact that words used by pros will be picked up on mics now and again.

SatchFan

Q-School Graduate
Visit site

It's good to hear what's being said depending on the sport although there is always the risk of the occasional f bomb being dropped. In terms of JT I don't think he will ever make that mistake again.

Status
Not open for further replies.