Balls

leonneab

Medal Winner
Visit site
I've just purchased some 'Lakeballs' off the internet and im rather sceptical as to the authenticity of them. I hoping you knowledgeable people will help me out.

I've been playing the new Callaway Supersofts this season and have really enjoyed them. I was under the impression they were new for 2014 so felt pretty confident that when I ordered some 2nd hand lakeballs they would all be the same. Not like other balls which have been on the market for years, but bring out a new version of the same ball each year.

ive opened the big brown box they came in and was pleasantly surprised at how new they looked, almost brand new.

This is when my cynicism kicked in.

upon close inspection the name supersoft is printed slighty different on a number of balls. I cut open two with slightly different print and found one has a core coloured cream and the other coloured pale orange. I then cut open a brand new ball bought from the pro shop to compare all three. The core colour of this one was a light grey/sliver opaque.

if there have been different versions of the Callaway Supersoft ball manufactured within such a short space of time then I can accept it and go away very happy with my purchase.

is there someone out there who has used these balls for a while and can educated me one the various changes this ball has had

is there anyone out there who has had similar experiences with lakeballs / second chance / balls?

please help put my mind at rest

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Buying some Lake Balls is always a bit of a risk as you can never be 100% sure the balls are what they say they are, especially if they are refinished - i found a "refinished" ProV1x a few months back and it was as hard as a Molitor!
Some traders are better than others though.
I'd contact Callaway Customer Service - they'll be able to tell you how many variants there have been and may even be able to tell you what colour the core is meant to be.
A quick search on eBay and I found a 24 pack for £31 inc postage - bearing in mind you can get them from shops for about £17 it doesn't sound like much of a saving....

Hacker Khan

Yurt Dwelling, Yoghurt Knitter
Visit site
I've just purchased some 'Lakeballs' off the internet and im rather sceptical as to the authenticity of them. I hoping you knowledgeable people will help me out.

I've been playing the new Callaway Supersofts this season and have really enjoyed them. I was under the impression they were new for 2014 so felt pretty confident that when I ordered some 2nd hand lakeballs they would all be the same. Not like other balls which have been on the market for years, but bring out a new version of the same ball each year.

ive opened the big brown box they came in and was pleasantly surprised at how new they looked, almost brand new.

This is when my cynicism kicked in.

upon close inspection the name supersoft is printed slighty different on a number of balls. I cut open two with slightly different print and found one has a core coloured cream and the other coloured pale orange. I then cut open a brand new ball bought from the pro shop to compare all three. The core colour of this one was a light grey/sliver opaque.

if there have been different versions of the Callaway Supersoft ball manufactured within such a short space of time then I can accept it and go away very happy with my purchase.

is there someone out there who has used these balls for a while and can educated me one the various changes this ball has had

is there anyone out there who has had similar experiences with lakeballs / second chance / balls?

please help put my mind at rest

In a golf mag they reviewed lots of balls and cut them in half. And the picture of the Callaway Supersoft shows more of a pale orange core. But chuff knows if the colour of the core is always the same. You'd have expected it is but may be not.

lex!

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Buyer beware, and agree with the Homer, plenty of decent cheap new balls out there to be had. Incidentally, I picked up a Dunlop Tour Soft and played a couple with it at the weekend as I was playing 2 balls on our practise course. I thought it was very good, and I notice that you can buy loads of them in Chavs Direct for a tenner. Anyone else tried one?

Last edited: