Balls

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Yes, they are really good both combinations. I would use the 2 piece in the autumn/spring.
Try the inesis your 900 and the New Srixon AD333 .. check their spin measurements very competitive with balls twice the price.

User20204

Visit site
This topic was discussed at length when it first was released.

Dean Snell helped produce numerous incarnations of the Titleist ball mainly just prior to the release of the proV1, he also worked with Taylormade for a number of years.

His MTB ball sold old not long after the MGS report was released.

I should add, the Kirkland Signature ball is NOT the same Kirkland Signature ball that was released a few years back, I believe there were some serious law suits issued in regards that ball, though others may have more accurate info on that.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I tried the Black this year for a few holes and gave it back to the person who gave it to me, not quite enough spin for me.

Nothing to dislike if you like premium balls.

What was available at the time I would probably have opted for Red with it's higher spin level.

tigerwes

Hacker
Visit site
This topic was discussed at length when it first was released.

Dean Snell helped produce numerous incarnations of the Titleist ball mainly just prior to the release of the proV1, he also worked with Taylormade for a number of years.

His MTB ball sold old not long after the MGS report was released.

I should add, the Kirkland Signature ball is NOT the same Kirkland Signature ball that was released a few years back, I believe there were some serious law suits issued in regards that ball, though others may have more accurate info on that.

Yeah I just wanted a ball to use during the winter which was half decent and cheap so I dont have to worry about losing them under leaves or when plugged.

User20204

Visit site
I tried the Black this year for a few holes and gave it back to the person who gave it to me, not quite enough spin for me.

Nothing to dislike if you like premium balls.

What was available at the time I would probably have opted for Red with it's higher spin level.

Did you use a launch monitor with it ? If not, how do you know there wasn't enough spin ?

larmen

Head Pro
Visit site
There were teasing a Black Friday deal (in USD) earlier today on Facebook, keep and eye out for that. It might be a cheap way for you to test them if they run a UK on was well.

I play them but not really good enough to judge them. Just like playing something a little different which is apparently premium. Saying that, they are not my winter ball, just got a box of red Wilson Staff as my winter ball as I find them a lot easier on teh fairway in current conditions.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Did you use a launch monitor with it ? If not, how do you know there wasn't enough spin ?

Simply because I have 40 years of experience of hundreds of different balls to decide if a ball spins well enough for me compared to other balls I have used and tried, particularly when it come down to greenside spin.

There are no launch monitors on the course during the course of a game.

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Simply because I have 40 years of experience of hundreds of different balls to decide if a ball spins well enough for me compared to other balls I have used and tried, particularly when it come down to greenside spin.

Exactly,
Use the report to indicate what each ball does, this data was compiled by a machine and the number of variables were minimised.
You may be a high spin player and can recognise a ball in the article that you have dismissed as having too much spin and possibly one that does not have enough .. that will give you a window of options to try, I personally would target balls in the middle of that window initially and look to narrow it down accordingly.

You see the launch monitor is not required, just a bit of time hitting a few balls on the course - you will also notice that your the biggest random input there is (not you personally,I mean you the golfer !)

User20204

Visit site

Of course we can all see a pinnacle gold doesn't spin like a prov1 but I'm struggling to believe you could tell the difference in spin rates between a Snell mtb black and a prov1 round the green, which if any will be so minute that even you is unlikely to see the difference in a hundred or so rpm.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Of course we can all see a pinnacle gold doesn't spin like a prov1 but I'm struggling to believe you could tell the difference in spin rates between a Snell mtb black and a prov1 round the green, which if any will be so minute that even you is unlikely to see the difference in a hundred or so rpm.
I think you're right. Would surely be too variable based on strike, lie, green speed etc. You could probably put them in three broad categories - it spins back a lot, it spins just enough to stop, or it doesn't spin at all.

User20204

Visit site
Just to clarify, wedge spin rates on premium balls is approx or upwards of 10,000 rpm, yet there are some on here that think they can see one ball spin a couple hundred rpms less than another with the naked eye :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: fair enough if you don't like the feel of a ball but please, have a word with yourself.

rksquire

Head Pro
Visit site
Fantastic ball. I used any ball but I have the mtb-x now (possibly not for winter!) and it's noticeably different. I'm not special around the greens but even I can get some action from this ball

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Fantastic ball. I used any ball but I have the mtb-x now (possibly not for winter!) and it's noticeably different. I'm not special around the greens but even I can get some action from this ball

More importantly can you noticeably see the difference in spin rate?

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

I am not interested in full shot wedge spin it is something I very rarely do any way. My principle concern is with greenside spin.

Maybe it just comes down to experience. I used to be able to easily tell the difference in a Prov1x and a Prov1 (older versions) and I can easily tell the difference between my current balls Bridgestone 330RX and 330 RXS. A lot of it comes from playing one ball against another whilst actually out on the course or on the practice chipping green which is kept to a good as standard as a green.

As said I much prefer to see what actually happens rather than working by the numbers.
The numbers are only as good as the club which is hitting the ball. I change my wedges frequently to keep up the greenside spin.

Going back to the original question and my comment I was carrying out a one v one test at the time - Snell Black verses Bridgestone B330RXS and it was easy to spot the difference in just a few holes.

Last edited:

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
There so needs to be a blind golf ball test organised. Come on GM you know you want to. I really don't think people would tell one make or model from another (like for like so premium v premium - 2 piece vs 2 piece) and be able to recognise their current ball of choice.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
^^^

Wouldn't be difficult to tell the difference. One says Snell one says Bridgestone and they're completely different dimple patterns!