Ball Markers on the green

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I think common sense vacated the thread when people suggested they'd want the marker moving 20 head widths away because they could still see it.

I'm going on dragons den with invisible ball markers. The repeat business would be amazing.

I think I was simply making the point that if a PP was using a large marker and it was distracting me by being in my field of view, and for whatever reason he refused a request to temporarily swap it with a smaller one - I could ask him to move it any number of clubhead lengths until I was happy. And as he had refused in the first instance to swap it - I might just put a bloody-minded head on and ask him to move it 20 lengths. Maybe then he'd be more amenable to such a simple and reasonable request in the future. But I don't think I was being 100% serious.

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I think I was simply making the point that if a PP was using a large marker and it was distracting me by being in my field of view, and for whatever reason he refused a request to temporarily swap it with a smaller one - I could ask him to move it any number of clubhead lengths until I was happy. And as he had refused in the first instance to swap it - I might just put a bloody-minded head on and ask him to move it 20 lengths. Maybe then he'd be more amenable to such a simple and reasonable request in the future. But I don't think I was being 100% serious.

Each to their own. I'd rather have it close to my line so it knocks it back on course if I hit a bad putt :D

My dustbin lid has a small marker in the middle and I usually ask if they want the small one down if I'm close to their line.

Diamond

Visit site
As a newbie I use either a Pink golf tee or a £2 coin. Are either acceptable for when I play in competitions?

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Yeah i usually use a coin or a tee you can pretty much use anything, i find it odd though that anyone could be bothered by a poker chip.

I played with a club captain quite a few years ago and used something like a poker chip. He was quite upset by it and offered me a small coin to replace the chip - I did tell him where to stick his coin and it wasnt behind his ball !

Diamond

Visit site
I have never played poker but I know some are square, I assume it is not those we are talking about.

D

Deleted member 1147

I played with a club captain quite a few years ago and used something like a poker chip. He was quite upset by it and offered me a small coin to replace the chip - I did tell him where to stick his coin and it wasnt behind his ball !
I’d have accepted the coin and carried on using the chip.
Only way id make a profit on the golf course!

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Yeah i usually use a coin or a tee you can pretty much use anything, i find it odd though that anyone could be bothered by a poker chip.
I think poker chips are far too big - if your ball hit that it could deflect off in a totally different direction. I use a Hungarian coin from when I went to Budapest as my marker - this coin is exceptionally thin (probably because their currency is practically worthless) so even someone did hit a wayward putt it would roll over the coin without too much trouble.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site

Why would you need to be so rude? Surely a polite no thank you, I'm comfortable with my poker chip would have sufficed.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Why a need to use something that is so very chunky and obvious - Indeed possibly a distraction for other players though it will be easier for other players to see it - surely best to use something very flat and unobtrusive? But as long as a player using one doesn’t mind me asking them to move it - even if It is not that close to what might be my line - then I don’t really care. Same as when putting I sometimes ask for a ball in my view of view to be marked if it hasn’t been.