Ball hitting ball

Bunker52

Visit site
I'm just having a dispute regarding what happens if someone plays their ball, on the fairway, and it lands and hits another ball, again on the fairway, moving it forwards or sideways.

Are both balls played as they lie, or does the one that was hit have to be put back? The incident could be 200yards away.

Googling the answer seems to give multiple answers saying play as they lie, but the R&A rules are a little unclear. If on the green it's clear, but on fairway...?

Was this rule changed recently?

Thanks for advice

rulie

Head Pro
Visit site
Not changed, and, imo, very clear. The ball that was at rest must be replaced at its original spot (estimated as required). The ball that was in motion must be played from where it came to rest.

Steven Rules

Visit site
I agree. It is an incredibly bad article. Let me assure everybody that the author "Steve" is not me! Gives a bad name to Steves and Stevens everywhere!

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
And this is how misunderstanding of the rules begins.
Anyone can use a golf related website name, post absolutely anything they like and someone will take it as gospel.
"But I read it on the Internet "
As Abraham Lincoln said " don't believe everything you read on the Internet "

tobybarker

Visit site
And this is how misunderstanding of the rules begins.
Anyone can use a golf related website name, post absolutely anything they like and someone will take it as gospel.
"But I read it on the Internet "
As Abraham Lincoln said " don't believe everything you read on the Internet "
I'm sure I read that last bit in the internet someehere

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
I agree. It is an incredibly bad article. Let me assure everybody that the author "Steve" is not me! Gives a bad name to Steves and Stevens everywhere!

There's a bit of a contradiction here. Steve King is king but Steven Rules rules. ?

Using so many words to get something so simple so wrong is almost an art form. Bad art, though.

D

Deleted member 23270

What about Stephens?

Got to ask as you rules guys are sticklers for details ?

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
According to the R&A (the governing body of golf), the answer is that both balls must be played as they lie. This rule has not changed recently. The R&A's Rule 19 defines how to proceed when a ball strikes another ball at rest on the course. The Rule states that "If a player's ball in motion after a stroke strikes another ball at rest, the stroke is canceled. The player must play his ball as it lies and may not play the other ball". Therefore, regardless of where the incident takes place (fairway, green, etc.), both balls must be played as they lie.
The Rule has changed. Rule 19 is about an Unplayable Ball.

As said previously, Rule 9.6 for the ball at rest (There is no penalty, and the ball must be replaced on its original spot)

and Rule 11.1 for the ball in motion. (There is no penalty, and the ball must normally be played as it lies unless both balls were on the green when the player gets the general penalty (two penalty strokes) and must replay the stroke)

Last edited:

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
According to the R&A (the governing body of golf), the answer is that both balls must be played as they lie. This rule has not changed recently. The R&A's Rule 19 defines how to proceed when a ball strikes another ball at rest on the course. The Rule states that "If a player's ball in motion after a stroke strikes another ball at rest, the stroke is canceled. The player must play his ball as it lies and may not play the other ball". Therefore, regardless of where the incident takes place (fairway, green, etc.), both balls must be played as they lie.
As Rule 19 refers to an unplayable ball and has nothing to do with balls moving, then this response should be treated as utter tosh

Edit - Rulefan beat me to it ;)