Ball flight and colour.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Bumping this as I want to order some DX2 Optix in a different colour. The yellow ones were surprisingly disappointing, against the paler green grass the don't actually show up that well. Anyone used some of the other colours? I'm thinking I might go for pink. They look pretty strong. :D

My advice is do not go pink. They are virtually impossible to see in the air at distance and not that easy when they are the ground either. They may be alright for Paula Creamer but she has a few thousand people to tell her where the ball went.

I was trying the Srixon Pink balls at the time and gave up on them after just 4 holes and gave the rest of the box away.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Last year I played with the pink, and yellow Volvik Vivid balls and they were very easy to see if the air. They do travel a country mile when mashed with the driver, with my simple swing I was getting a good 10 to 15yds further than a Srixon AD333 Tour, the down side of the Vivid is that they do not spin very well off a wedge. That written I couldn't get a ProV1 to spin so that makes no difference to me.

I'd liked the Vivid and may buy some more to use through the summer, might give the blue and red ones a go.

Said before I couldn't get the Vivid to spin. I did two reviews on them as the first one was on a dry course and thought it was the conditions but even second time out I didn't get much stop on a much damper course

Khamelion

Tour Winner
Visit site
Said before I couldn't get the Vivid to spin. I did two reviews on them as the first one was on a dry course and thought it was the conditions but even second time out I didn't get much stop on a much damper course

I'm going to give the Vivid another go this year, the new club has a short par 3 course, which will be ideal for getting the short game improved, I'll be able to compare a few different balls and how they react to my wedge play style and be able to pick a ball to play with from that. IF it doesn't rain today I may go up this evening.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
From what people are saying about the Volviks, it's small wonder Bubba has improved immeasurably since dropping them!

Even Butch Harmon mentioned it during the Masters, it was hilarious actually. He didn't name them but said something about Bubba dropping those awful balls he was using - or words to that effect. Any Volvik representative watching that must have been fuming. :rofl:

Khamelion

Tour Winner
Visit site
From what people are saying about the Volviks, it's small wonder Bubba has improved immeasurably since dropping them!

Even Butch Harmon mentioned it during the Masters, it was hilarious actually. He didn't name them but said something about Bubba dropping those awful balls he was using - or words to that effect. Any Volvik representative watching that must have been fuming. :rofl:

Bubba wasn't using the Volvik Vivvid balls, he was using the S4 ball

Last edited:

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
Bubba dropped from 6th to 115th using Volvik. Since switching back he's already back to 19th. That should tell you everything you need to know.

Truvis are awesome though. Love the red/white ones got a few dozen ready to go for the season.

Khamelion

Tour Winner
Visit site
Bubba dropped from 6th to 115th using Volvik. Since switching back he's already back to 19th. That should tell you everything you need to know.

Truvis are awesome though. Love the red/white ones got a few dozen ready to go for the season.

Indeed, use the Volvik for the long drive competitions as that's what they are good for, if you want spin control around the green, try something else.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
My advice is do not go pink. They are virtually impossible to see in the air at distance and not that easy when they are the ground either. They may be alright for Paula Creamer but she has a few thousand people to tell her where the ball went.

I was trying the Srixon Pink balls at the time and gave up on them after just 4 holes and gave the rest of the box away.
I wish I'd remembered this advice. I got a box of pink Optix - they were pretty easy to spot on the ground, but as you say, while watching your shot they were just too dark to see at a distance. As soon as they hit the ground they effectively became invisible. I didn't know if they'd stopped dead or rolled another 40 yards. Lost three of them already over two rounds at the weekend - the other nine while be sitting gathering dust for a while I think. :(