To spin back or not to spin back

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I've no idea how much I can spin the ball - I guess I must. Have I ever had one spin back towards me? - don't think so - at least I can't recall seeing one do that. Am I bothered? Nope. Maybe I should try harder - but quite happy playing as I do and playing off 8.

Last edited:

trevor

Head Pro
Visit site
I once had a ball spin back out of a bunker and it spun back into the hole. First and only time I’ve ever had backspin in 12 years of golf.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If it's on the green and you are putting does it matter?

We're all handicap golfers. Obsessive nonsense about spin. Two putts walk into the next hole, one putt, walk into the next hole with a spring in your step.

I'd suggest how close you are has a lot more relevance than "drop'n'stop" or "backspin".

So how do you control your distance in to a green? or is it hit and hope for the best?

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
So how do you control your distance in to a green? or is it hit and hope for the best?

Personally I just hit the ball in the way I know will have a reasonable chance of hitting and staying on the green - hopefully fairly close to the flag. I have no thoughts whatsoever about the effect of spin on the outcome of my shot. None whatsoever.

Clearly all of my shots to a green will have some degree of spin and that spin will affect the outcome of the shot - but I don't know what spin I have applied to the ball and what impact that spin has actually had on the outcome.

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I want a ball that drops and stops, the point is all of the balls nowadays are not catering for this want.
We have upside down plate like greens, I want a chance of the ball stopping.. they did 10 years ago. It seems that everyone is searching for 300yard drives and 150yard pitching wedges... not control or shot making.

NWJocko

Tour Winner
Visit site
I want a ball that drops and stops, the point is all of the balls nowadays are not catering for this want.
We have upside down plate like greens, I want a chance of the ball stopping.. they did 10 years ago. It seems that everyone is searching for 300yard drives and 150yard pitching wedges... not control or shot making.

TBH there are plenty of balls around that do this, not really sure I follow you.......

I play on the coast on rock hard greens and, assuming the ball is on the fairway and I strike it well, any balls I've used last couple of years all stop pretty close to where they land and almost on the spot with wedges? I've used Bridgestone, ProV1, TP5, Z Star, Chrome Soft, Vice Pro over that period and all perform very similarly. What are you using?!

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Tp5 ( I like this ball but never seen it come back just hop and small roll and stop) , chrome soft similar but is mushy off the putter, vice pro yes similar to tp5 but really rolls nicely into the hole.

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Interesting article in competitor magazine.
Pro v1x best .. highest wedge spin at 7866, but £50+Dozen
Srixon AD330 .. wedge spin 7633, £19-24 dozen .. down on driver length yard possibly.

Think I might change my ball. But interesting the x balls spin more off the wedges ... which was a surprise to me. But explains why I prefer the chrome soft x over the soft.

Coffey

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Interesting article in competitor magazine.
Pro v1x best .. highest wedge spin at 7866, but £50+Dozen
Srixon AD330 .. wedge spin 7633, £19-24 dozen .. down on driver length yard possibly.

Think I might change my ball. But interesting the x balls spin more off the wedges ... which was a surprise to me. But explains why I prefer the chrome soft x over the soft.

Titleist changed the prov1 and the x around a couple of years ago. The X is now the higher spinning ball with higher trajectory

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Titleist changed the prov1 and the x around a couple of years ago. The X is now the higher spinning ball with higher trajectory
Yes I used at some and was pleasantly surprised. I like the chrome soft x, they have a nice positive feel off the putter..
The question is does the tour AD333 have or offer more wedge spin over std AD333? Also would they measure previous models wedge spin, has it been sacrificed for driver spin performance?

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

I was given a trial pack of both balls by Titleist early in the year and yesterday I played with the v1X for the front 9 and the V1 for the back nine.
I am really struggling to see any real difference between the two in actual usage on a course.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The question is does the tour AD333 have or offer more wedge spin over std AD333? Also would they measure previous models wedge spin, has it been sacrificed for driver spin performance?

Yes. Totally different balls in many respects. I would play with the 333 Tour and would not play with the a 333.

Last time I checked a box on the AD333 Tour it said they are made by Dunlop whose 'better balls' such as the DP1V3 (3 piece urethane ball) are very good, especially at more than half the price of premium brands.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Yes I used at some and was pleasantly surprised. I like the chrome soft x, they have a nice positive feel off the putter..
In my limited experience from simply using both models on the course, the AD333 is less spinning and seems to deviate less off a driver face but is less conducive to spin, especially around the green with chips than the tour version. The standard AD333 also feels firmer (to me) than the AD333 tour off a putter face. I will be getting onto a launch monitor again once the winter comes so I might do my own research and get my own numbers and see if what I feel/see bears out

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Yes. Totally different balls in many respects. I would play with the 333 Tour and would not play with the a 333.

Last time I checked a box on the AD333 Tour it said they are made by Dunlop whose 'better balls' such as the DP1V3 (3 piece urethane ball) are very good, especially at more than half the price of premium brands.
I have just checked and realised that Sports Direct sold Dunlop to SRI(xon) in 2016. SRI being the original Dunlop Rubber Industries.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
I have just checked and realised that Sports Direct sold Dunlop to SRI(xon) in 2016. SRI being the original Dunlop Rubber Industries.
The bold bit is not correct! Dunlop (all parts of it) has always been a 'self-conglomerating' (my term) company. SRI originally started with/as an investment in Dunlop Japan - a separate entity in the Dunlop empire, but has subsequently gradually integrated/absorbed most of Dunlop into SRI - including the Sports Direct owned labels you mentioned. Goodyear still has rights to some areas of the Dunlop (tyre) labels.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site

I trust you mean 'less' than half price, not 'more'!

AD333 Tour (black writing) is my 'ball of choice'. AD333 (blue writing) feels harder to me. I don't get on at all with AD333 Soft (Green writing)!

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I trust you mean 'less' than half price, not 'more'!

AD333 Tour (black writing) is my 'ball of choice'. AD333 (blue writing) feels harder to me. I don't get on at all with AD333 Soft (Green writing)!
So does the tour offer up more control