Ball flight and colour.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Id be interested to know if its the matte finish or the colour. I think the Wilson dx2 is soft and matte orange in colour.

It was one of the matt ones and even though it was a bright day, it almost glowed.

My eyesight is pretty bad and i've never seen the ball straight off the club face and all the way to its target before. still yet to hit one myself and the charge as much as a Prov1 from what i can see. why buy balls when i have plenty of Prov1 anyway.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
I seem to pick up a proportional representation of the balls teed off (except blue :confused:) which suggests that there isn't a simple answer to this one.

I play the ball somewhat it is rather than it's colour and don't notice any difference in practice (except the true viz on, and around, the green - but that's not about seeing them)

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
We have a guy in our roll up with only one eye (and so called Clarence, after the lion or cyclops) and he uses the neon green Vice balls as he says they are easier for him to see and are best for him on the green. As he plays off 12 or so they must do something for his game

Scoobiesnax

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Just pre-order the DX2 Optix red colour ball. Not seen anyone play with a red one before so thought I'd give it a blast. At least it will keep the PPs amused while I still lose them!!

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Just pre-order the DX2 Optix red colour ball. Not seen anyone play with a red one before so thought I'd give it a blast. At least it will keep the PPs amused while I still lose them!!
One of my mates got 3 Volvik Vivids and assured me he wouldn't be losing one again as they were impossible to lose. He was wrong - you still lose them if you smash them out of bounds. :D

I picked up a box of yellow Optix last night, will be debuting them this Sunday. I think the only issue will be that they're likely to get caked in mud at some point, which will detract from the visible nature somewhat.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
One of my mates got 3 Volvik Vivids and assured me he wouldn't be losing one again as they were impossible to lose. He was wrong - you still lose them if you smash them out of bounds. :D

I picked up a box of yellow Optix last night, will be debuting them this Sunday. I think the only issue will be that they're likely to get caked in mud at some point, which will detract from the visible nature somewhat.

They don't float either which is a pain. However when kept within the confines of the course and out of water, they do stand out well (yellow and green ones - didn't try the other colours as I hated the performance)

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
May I suggest a trip to the opticians if you struggle to follow a white ball off the tee flying through the air.

There are certain days in low light and grey sky were it can be tricky seeing it land but 99% of the time, a white golf ball is absolutely fine.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I debuted my yellow Optix yesterday. In all honesty I thought they were neither better nor worse for visibility than regular white balls. I think maybe if it was a sunny day, the reduced glare off the ball because of the matte finish would be of benefit, but there wasn't much sun yesterday so they were neither here nor there. I can also confirm you'll still lose one if you slap it out of bounds. :whistle:

Gentabout

Medal Winner
Visit site
Ive been using the new yellow and orange DX2's for the last few rounds and have decided that I can see the orange much better in flight and in the distance when they land. They do seem to disappear out of bounds as quickly as a white one though.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Ive been using the new yellow and orange DX2's for the last few rounds and have decided that I can see the orange much better in flight and in the distance when they land. They do seem to disappear out of bounds as quickly as a white one though.
Yeah after using the yellows for the first time yesterday I did think to myself I should have got the oranges instead. Might get them next time.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Bumping this as I want to order some DX2 Optix in a different colour. The yellow ones were surprisingly disappointing, against the paler green grass the don't actually show up that well. Anyone used some of the other colours? I'm thinking I might go for pink. They look pretty strong. :D

Capella

Journeyman Pro
blog.jutta-jordans.de
I found an orange one once and I absolutely loved that and found it very easy to spot, once my eye had gotten used to it. It is something I find whenever I play colored balls (and I do quite a lot, especially in winter): no matter what color you choose, it takes your brain a while to adjust to it. Like when you are used to playing white balls, no matter how neon and bright the color you choose is, at first you will find it harder to see than the white ones.

Also, the way our eyes work, our color vision is best when it is really bright. In the shade or in twilight, contrast becomes more important and visible than color, so in those cases a white golf ball will be easier to spot than any color you choose (unless there is snow on the ground, of course).

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I found an orange one once and I absolutely loved that and found it very easy to spot, once my eye had gotten used to it. It is something I find whenever I play colored balls (and I do quite a lot, especially in winter): no matter what color you choose, it takes your brain a while to adjust to it. Like when you are used to playing white balls, no matter how neon and bright the color you choose is, at first you will find it harder to see than the white ones.

Also, the way our eyes work, our color vision is best when it is really bright. In the shade or in twilight, contrast becomes more important and visible than color, so in those cases a white golf ball will be easier to spot than any color you choose (unless there is snow on the ground, of course).
I think some of the colours are easier to see through the air though, particularly when the sun is out and low in the sky. I think I may have a pop on the pink Optix and order a box. They should​ offer decent contrast on the ground as well.

D

Deleted member 15717

Many moons ago, I played with the Srixon Z-Star in yellow. Actually really liked the easy to see nature of ball flight, and where it was on the course. Back to white now, and playing partners threaten to stop playing with me if I use a yellow ball (in jest...i think), so tend to stick with white!

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Been using the orange Wilson Staff Optix and they are by far the easiest to see in flight (in fact through the whole shot and are easier to find). They really are better than white and are better than the yellow version that I tried.

Scoobiesnax

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Like I said previously on the is thread, I bought the red Wilson DX2 balls. Played with them for the first time on Saturday and although I could see them clearly off the club-face and in mid air, once they started hitting the horizon I lost them completely. Don't think I'm colour blind as I could see the red stand out lovely as I walked up to the ball on the fairway or semi rough but couldn't pick them up on their downward journey.

Capella

Journeyman Pro
blog.jutta-jordans.de
Like I said previously on the is thread, I bought the red Wilson DX2 balls. Played with them for the first time on Saturday and although I could see them clearly off the club-face and in mid air, once they started hitting the horizon I lost them completely. Don't think I'm colour blind as I could see the red stand out lovely as I walked up to the ball on the fairway or semi rough but couldn't pick them up on their downward journey.

Yes, red seems to be tricky that way. I played with one of our juniors last week and he used a red volvik ball. Visibility on the ground was good, also against the sky during flight, but I always lost them coming down.

Khamelion

Tour Winner
Visit site
Last year I played with the pink, and yellow Volvik Vivid balls and they were very easy to see if the air. They do travel a country mile when mashed with the driver, with my simple swing I was getting a good 10 to 15yds further than a Srixon AD333 Tour, the down side of the Vivid is that they do not spin very well off a wedge. That written I couldn't get a ProV1 to spin so that makes no difference to me.

I'd liked the Vivid and may buy some more to use through the summer, might give the blue and red ones a go.